Horizontal vs. Vertical Log Splitter Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is not automatic because my kids use it.

I'd be a bit surprised to hear that automatic is an option due to liability. Mine retracts automatically, but I have to hold the lever to split. Is automatic in the splitting direction even an option, other than home grown or modified versions anymore? I could see where it would be handy and would probably like the option myself, but will be surprised if it's available without doing it yourself. Somebody edumacate me on this please?

My Super Split is automatic, pull the lever and let-er-rip hands off!
Splits and retracts in 2 seconds. :hmm3grin2orange:

Huh??

I don't need to hold the lever... I don't even need to bend over to reach it... I don't even need to touch the lever to retract the ram 'cause it's automatic. I certainly never need to get on my knees to position a round, but I do need to bend-over to grab the next one, just like anyone else splitting wood with any sort of splitter (unless they loaded it in a pickup box, but they still had to bend over to do that). While that guy is "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever" I'm retrieving the next round. While that guy is retracting the ram I'm already splitting my second round and retrieving the third at the same time. While that guy is retrieving/positioning his second round I'm splitting my third and retrieving my forth at the same time. While that guy is "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever" splitting his second round I'm splitting my fourth and retrieving my fifth at the same time. While that guy is moving splits out of his way, and rolling more rounds over to the machine I've already moved my machine to the wood with one hand, started splitting, and have a new pile of splits started.

Yeah, my splitter is low, but if ya' don't have to stand there bent over holding something, if ya' can always be moving and doing something else, if the machine is always sitting right next to the wood and if ya' have to bend over to pick up the rounds (at some point) anyway... what difference does it make how high or low the machine is?? Heck, my thinkin' is the lower the better... after-all I already have to bend over to retrieve the rounds, why would I want to lift (or carry, or roll, or whatever) them more than a few inches if I don't have to?? Most of the time I don't even need to bend over to pick up the splits... with both hands free I can grab 'em coming off the wedge and toss 'em in the trailer.

I don't see where you find the comparison... I'm never "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever."

That splitter is auto retract... You don't have to hold it. If your splitter has an auto forward, I'd have to make scrap metal out of it... I teach all the boys the same thing...
Left hand on top center of the log, right hand on the lever....
Also, I'm callin BS on ya' spidey...
If you had that Husky splitter, you'd dink with it and make it work...
Cause you're too damn cheap to get another one...
You ain't foolin' me...

Tightwad...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My Super Split is automatic, pull the lever and let-er-rip hands off!
Splits and retracts in 2 seconds. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah... The super splitter is one of the coolest ideas out there... And after running yours, the ONLY thing I would change, is the height of the work area.. But that ain't the machine's fault... Just cause I'm freakishly large...
:amazed:

Huh??

I don't need to hold the lever... I don't even need to bend over to reach it... I don't even need to touch the lever to retract the ram 'cause it's automatic. I certainly never need to get on my knees to position a round, but I do need to bend-over to grab the next one, just like anyone else splitting wood with any sort of splitter (unless they loaded it in a pickup box, but they still had to bend over to do that). While that guy is "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever" I'm retrieving the next round. While that guy is retracting the ram I'm already splitting my second round and retrieving the third at the same time. While that guy is retrieving/positioning his second round I'm splitting my third and retrieving my forth at the same time. While that guy is "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever" splitting his second round I'm splitting my fourth and retrieving my fifth at the same time. While that guy is moving splits out of his way, and rolling more rounds over to the machine I've already moved my machine to the wood with one hand, started splitting, and have a new pile of splits started.

Yeah, my splitter is low, but if ya' don't have to stand there bent over holding something, if ya' can always be moving and doing something else, if the machine is always sitting right next to the wood and if ya' have to bend over to pick up the rounds (at some point) anyway... what difference does it make how high or low the machine is?? Heck, my thinkin' is the lower the better... after-all I already have to bend over to retrieve the rounds, why would I want to lift (or carry, or roll, or whatever) them more than a few inches if I don't have to?? Most of the time I don't even need to bend over to pick up the splits... with both hands free I can grab 'em coming off the wedge and toss 'em in the trailer.

I don't see where you find the comparison... I'm never "just standing there, hunched-over a bit, neck bent over, holding the lever."

This is what I was referring too specifically."hunched-over a bit, neck bent over". As you stated, unless out of a pick up or table, we all have to either pick up, roll or lift onto the beam when using horizontal. When I stand erect. My elbows are at 47 inches. When I carry I've found walking straight up gives me less back problems. If I can eliminate leaning over one more time to split that is an advantage to me. Trust me, we have a 3 point splitter as well that I could try all different levels and what is the best for me is 40 inches high.

When splitting large round multiple times, with no tables, I was leaning constantly trying to lift MULTIPLE times more than I do now. Putting half of the split back on the rail once it fell off after resplitting the first half. My back is WAY better at the end of the day and that's what is important to me. That was my scientific experiment and no back issues now. I'm near 50 and was planning for the future to be able to do this by myself. My dad who is 77 and works along beside me agrees. Granted, I am slower by myself as opposed to 2, but I handle some pretty large stuff with my setup which is what it was made for. Again, personal preference on how you decide to "gather and split" comes into play here. I just know my back would actually get spasms when I used the 3 point low to roll big ones on. When doing 24 inch long 4 ft round beech it takes 2 guys(for me at least) to roll them around and up on the rail. We used a ramp but you still strain a lot. Now, once I pick up a 4ft round ONCE, it never hits the ground again till all the pieces are to size.

I run a full auto cycle as well and like it. I would not be comfortable having someone else run it though. As you said, you can be getting ready for the next one if you are pieced to size or dealing with small stuff.

How high is the top of your beam? Our old stationary splitter was 24" and it was too low for me as well. My fingertips are 30" off the ground when walking straight up so maybe that is another factor. I'm not picking a fight with you, as I stated earlier, Just offering different ways of doing the same thing so others can have options.

Over the years I've helped people in wood gathering at their location and just go along with their method. You gain a little info quickly if something works or not, just as I have done looking around on this site. Horizontal, vertical, electric, noodle, Fiskars debates will always be that,,,,debates.

Have you tried the new Fiskars electric? ;)

MVC-017F_10.JPG

This is what I was referring too specifically."hunched-over a bit, neck bent over". As you stated, unless out of a pick up or table, we all have to either pick up, roll or lift onto the beam when using horizontal. When I stand erect. My elbows are at 47 inches. When I carry I've found walking straight up gives me less back problems. If I can eliminate leaning over one more time to split that is an advantage to me. Trust me, we have a 3 point splitter as well that I could try all different levels and what is the best for me is 40 inches high.

When splitting large round multiple times, with no tables, I was leaning constantly trying to lift MULTIPLE times more than I do now. Putting half of the split back on the rail once it fell off after resplitting the first half. My back is WAY better at the end of the day and that's what is important to me. That was my scientific experiment and no back issues now. I'm near 50 and was planning for the future to be able to do this by myself. My dad who is 77 and works along beside me agrees. Granted, I am slower by myself as opposed to 2, but I handle some pretty large stuff with my setup which is what it was made for. Again, personal preference on how you decide to "gather and split" comes into play here. I just know my back would actually get spasms when I used the 3 point low to roll big ones on. When doing 24 inch long 4 ft round beech it takes 2 guys(for me at least) to roll them around and up on the rail. We used a ramp but you still strain a lot. Now, once I pick up a 4ft round ONCE, it never hits the ground again till all the pieces are to size.

I run a full auto cycle as well and like it. I would not be comfortable having someone else run it though. As you said, you can be getting ready for the next one if you are pieced to size or dealing with small stuff.

How high is the top of your beam? Our old stationary splitter was 24" and it was too low for me as well. My fingertips are 30" off the ground when walking straight up so maybe that is another factor. I'm not picking a fight with you, as I stated earlier, Just offering different ways of doing the same thing so others can have options.

Over the years I've helped people in wood gathering at their location and just go along with their method. You gain a little info quickly if something works or not, just as I have done looking around on this site. Horizontal, vertical, electric, noodle, Fiskars debates will always be that,,,,debates.

Have you tried the new Fiskars electric? ;)

MVC-017F_10.JPG

Absolutely... Can't hardly get a beam too high in my book. The splitter you built was just plain cool and well thought out...
One thing we can all agree on, is we like the end result...

attachment.php

Unfortunately, my slave wasn't around to stack it as it was coming off the tables...
:msp_thumbdn:

Yeah... The super splitter is one of the coolest ideas out there... And after running yours, the ONLY thing I would change, is the height of the work area.. But that ain't the machine's fault... Just cause I'm freakishly large...
:amazed:

You're about a half foot taller than regular folks... :msp_biggrin:

OK Spidey I gotta call bulll#### on your part also. :msp_biggrin:

Aint NO way your just floppin a round up on that beam of yours hittin a lever and walkin away. What is holding that round till the wedge comes in contact. (the spidey force)
Then if the rounds have any size at all your not goin after another. Your waiting for it to split so you can BEND BACK OVER flip the half onto the splitter and split again, Then you BEND BACK OVER. Grab that half and split again. Then you walk around the splitter, BEND BACK OVER grab the other half for the splitter... Over and over again.

BTW, did ya notice Jasons log he was using as a seat. I just snapped the pic while he wasn't sittin on his ass.

And honestly spidey I just can't figure out how your midget splitter can be any easier than any other splitter regardless of horiz or vertical. Other than maybe your lever I don't see anything that does not require bending over to do something. Well unless of course your 3 foot tall.

Many here have spoken of back breaking knee work and I really can't catch on.
Roll the rounds up.
Tip the rounds up.
Split em up.
Never have to LIFT a thing until it's split.

I'm not talking limbs here. Hell I'd split limbs horiz too. (and I can stand all upright other than picking them up)
I'm talkin about 300+ lb rounds. (you aint lifting them anywhere)(if you are, you are risking your back WAY more than just tipping them up and getting on your knees)

As I said previously though. Maybe I'm just young (at 45) and limber enough that getting up and down and working on my knees doesn't bother me. I can do that all day and quite frankly I do. (40+ hours a week.)

Maybe someday I'll rethink this entire debate but for now I just think Vert is WAYYY easier for the big stuff.

OK Spidey I gotta call bulll#### on your part also. :msp_biggrin:

Aint NO way your just floppin a round up on that beam of yours hittin a lever and walkin away. What is holding that round till the wedge comes in contact. (the spidey force)
Then if the rounds have any size at all your not goin after another. Your waiting for it to split so you can BEND BACK OVER flip the half onto the splitter and split again, Then you BEND BACK OVER. Grab that half and split again. Then you walk around the splitter, BEND BACK OVER grab the other half for the splitter... Over and over again.

BTW, did ya notice Jasons log he was using as a seat. I just snapped the pic while he wasn't sittin on his ass.

There are "on/off feed tables". Once a round is on my splitter, nothing leaves until it has been split to size.

Harry K

I'd be a bit surprised to hear that automatic is an option due to liability. … Is automatic in the splitting direction even an option, other than home grown or modified versions anymore?

Full hands-free auto-cycle is standard on every Log Boss splitter; in fact there ain’t even an option to get one without it. They also come with auto-throttle control and the thumbscrew-adjustable stroke length as standard features. I haven’t modified anything…

OK Spidey I gotta call bull...
Well, first of all, like I’ve said, I don’t “walk away” because I roll the splitter to the wood… I just need to turn and grab the next. But more to the point, I don’t need “the spidey force” to hold the log while waiting for the wedge to contact the wood… because that time is so miniscule. Don’t ya’ remember, the splitter has an infinitely adjustable stroke length? You’ve seen the pictures of my stacks, I cut everything to 16 inches (give-or-take a half-inch or so)… I just set the ram stroke length at about 18-19, and at an off-load speed of less than two-tenths of a second per inch… Well, yeah, I pretty much just flop a round on the beam, slap the lever and turn for the next.

Not quite, I don’t believe I’ve ever “walked around the splitter” to retrieve a half round… worst case, if I lost control of a few, I’d just wait until it was time to reposition the machine (remember, I’m not walking away or moving wood to the machine… ever). I believe I explained how I handle larger rounds earlier in this thread… but, I’ll explain it again. I work with the lever to my right… after I slap it on a large round I have both hands free to control the far-side half so it doesn’t fall (and a large round allows me to do that standing erect, not bent over). Usually it’s no problem to balance it on the beam ledge next to the wedge using one hand as the ram retracts, then I sort’a give it a spinning-flip back into position (like anything else… after using it for near thirty years you develop a technique). The near-side half slides off the beam end where it can’t fall on anything (including my toes) and lands right next to my left foot… so yeah, I do haft’a pick it back up. I don’t split the “half” into triangle quarters, I usually position it so the “split-side” is vertical and I end up with “slabs” rather than triangles. Finally, I use my left hand to control the “slab” as I split-off stove size pieces… my right hand slaps the lever and grabs the “stove-size” pieces as they come off the wedge… tossing them in the trailer. This all happens pretty fast because having the stroke length set to 18 inches brings the cycle time into the 6-7 second range… the retract happens in 3 seconds or less. When someone is helping me, simply just catching the “stove-size” splits as they come off the wedge, it darn near happens at light speed because my right hand is free to slap the lever into retract position anytime a split doesn’t require the full stroke (straight-grained, easy-splitting stuff). And really, if’n I wanted to, just like vertical splitters, once I have rounds reduce to manageable “slabs” I could sit down on a log to finish them up (but then I'd haft'a pick up the splits, rather than grab them as they come of the wedge)..

Full hands-free auto-cycle is standard on every Log Boss splitter; in fact there ain’t even an option to get one without it. They also come with auto-throttle control and the thumbscrew-adjustable stroke length as standard features. I haven’t modified anything…

Well, first of all, like I’ve said, I don’t “walk away” because I roll the splitter to the wood… I just need to turn and grab the next. But more to the point, I don’t need “the spidey force” to hold the log while waiting for the wedge to contact the wood… because that time is so miniscule. Don’t ya’ remember, the splitter has an infinitely adjustable stroke length? You’ve seen the pictures of my stacks, I cut everything to 16 inches (give-or-take a half-inch or so)… I just set the ram stroke length at about 18-19, and at an off-load speed of less than two-tenths of a second per inch… Well, yeah, I pretty much just flop a round on the beam, slap the lever and turn for the next.

Not quite, I don’t believe I’ve ever “walked around the splitter” to retrieve a half round… worst case, if I lost control of a few, I’d just wait until it was time to reposition the machine (remember, I’m not walking away or moving wood to the machine… ever). I believe I explained how I handle larger rounds earlier in this thread… but, I’ll explain it again. I work with the lever to my right… after I slap it on a large round I have both hands free to control the far-side half so it doesn’t fall (and a large round allows me to do that standing erect, not bent over). Usually it’s no problem to balance it on the beam ledge next to the wedge using one hand as the ram retracts, then I sort’a give it a spinning-flip back into position (like anything else… after using it for near thirty years you develop a technique). The near-side half slides off the beam end where it can’t fall on anything (including my toes) and lands right next to my left foot… so yeah, I do haft’a pick it back up. I don’t split the “half” into triangle quarters, I usually position it so the “split-side” is vertical and I end up with “slabs” rather than triangles. Finally, I use my left hand to control the “slab” as I split-off stove size pieces… my right hand slaps the lever and grabs the “stove-size” pieces as they come off the wedge… tossing them in the trailer. This all happens pretty fast because having the stroke length set to 18 inches brings the cycle time into the 6-7 second range… the retract happens in 3 seconds or less. When someone is helping me, simply just catching the “stove-size” splits as they come off the wedge, it darn near happens at light speed because my right hand is free to slap the lever into retract position anytime a split doesn’t require the full stroke (straight-grained, easy-splitting stuff). And really, if’n I wanted to, just like vertical splitters, once I have rounds reduce to manageable “slabs” I could sit down on a log to finish them up (but then I'd haft'a pick up the splits, rather than grab them as they come of the wedge)..

There's an actual practical use for your smartphone you don't like. Get us a vid of you doing your splitting, a few decent rounds anyway, post it up. I *really* like your splitter, like to see some more action shots/vids of it. Normal rounds then a real big one with the adjustable beam around it action.

Full hands-free auto-cycle is standard on every Log Boss splitter; in fact there ain’t even an option to get one without it. They also come with auto-throttle control and the thumbscrew-adjustable stroke length as standard features. I haven’t modified anything...

Well, as I often say, educate me! Thanks Spidey!

That sounds like a really nice, top-end type machine you've got there. I'm just a homeowner that uses in the neighborhood of a couple of cords per year at best. My home-grown splitter does what I need and based on using it and others previously, I prefer the vertical (wasn't that the original question? lol) mode, particularly when working alone, but respect that others prefer horizontal. Truth be told, I actually prefer swinging the maul and/or Fiskers to any other method, but am learning to head the lessons of life and the signs my body is sending me.

Above all else. Nobody in this thread is wrong! Everyone has reasons for doing it how they are and while there may be some that have learned a better way in this thread, I'd bet they are few and most of us are ornery enough to stick with what we know and are used to, while still respecting different opinions.

As I'm even fonder of saying... To each his own!

As I'm even fonder of saying... To each his own!

Yeah, ain't that the truth... but I will finish with this...

Two of my neighbors, one down the road round the corner and the other less than a mile away, have Husky H/V splitters from the local fleet store. After each has used mine, both have said they wish they would have bought the Log Boss.

Three of my "gun" friends (from trap shooting league) have fleet store H/V splitters, and after using mine, and working them side-by-side all three have stated they should have bought the Log Boss. One of them just got his splitter last year... he didn't want to wait (he told me the Log Boss waiting list was 5 months) so he bought the Husky 35 ton... and he says it's one of the stupidest things he's done. He's now put his name on that list, and is planning to sell the Husky when his Log Boss is built.

All five of those guys say the same thing(s)...
The small, compact size and low weight plus the hands-free auto-cycle, adjustable stroke, auto-throttle and less fuel usage (you're hard pressed to burn 2 full gallons in a full day) far out-shadows any advantages of the larger, heavier H/V splitters. And then, when working them side-by-side, I can easy do a pile of splits close to three times larger than their piles in the same amount of time... they just shake their head.

Back