ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Hot Peppers 2021

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Carolina Reaper. A good friend of mine started it too late last season and then neglected it. Poor thing was in a quart container when I got it but I nursed it back to health. It spent August and half of September outside, then I brought it inside, trimmed it back and let it go dormant until thanksgiving when I put it under one of the big grow lights. Most of the growth seen here is in the past 4-5 weeks. Should get a bumper crop out of this one. A quart bag of fresh reapers can fetch $40-50

FC680FB9-9795-4F44-8728-BC53465A95C4.jpeg

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Those hare not comparable with the rest, be prepared - have some cold beer within reach !
Yeah you don’t want to eat a whole one. I got plenty of the guys at work by offering $5 to eat one lol.

When used in moderation they make an excellent addition to hot sauce, salsa, and chili. Soups or whatever else you want to spice up.

anlrolfe

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
I like some heat, to a point.
I love a good sweat, whether its southwest chile or Asian. I don't want to have to put the TP in the deep freezer or have the fire extinguisher next to the toilet.

I had a friend with a bumper crop of peppers at the end of season. Many varieties, a couple thermo nuclear which I declined. I took a good sample and dried them out. Chilies, Serano, Cayenne, Jalapeno. A little pinch into a saute to add some zing and some background flavor is nice.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Yeah you don’t want to eat a whole one. I got plenty of the guys at work by offering $5 to eat one lol.

The seeds generally don't go all the way to the bottom. Biting off the bottom, eating it, and handing the rest to someone else to try is a mean trick.

Volund

Volund

experienced loner
Anyways, those habaneros come creeping, you might think "that aint too hot" at first...
But they actually have a flavour to it, the others is ususally just like any pepper.
If you put them in vinegar and sugar they will last, because the is no chance you're gona eat them all fresh.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
The seeds generally don't go all the way to the bottom. Biting off the bottom, eating it, and handing the rest to someone else to try is a mean trick.
Yeah but try that with a reaper no thanks! Even just a small piece will put the hurt on you. And don’t dare chop them up with out gloves on then go take a piss :laugh:

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Yeah but try that with a reaper no thanks! Even just a small piece will put the hurt on you. And don’t dare chop them up with out gloves on then go take a piss :laugh:

I have definitely warmed my naughty bits working with peppers. Haven't grown any reapers yet, but I do find habaneros to be tolerable.

If my eyes and nose aren't running, it just isn't hot enough...

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
We did our National Guard training in Yakima. Not a very nice place. All the dust there is so thin - leftover ash from St. Helens. That stuff got everywhere!

It sure does. I always get a kick out of getting back on the highway after a day driving around in the hills and the truck is leaving a 007 style trail of dust for the first 1/2 mile.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Cayennes already popping
915C01C0-56E8-44FA-97F8-DBE5927A3172.jpeg

Ambient temp is looking good. EC2A6D20-5EDB-422C-97DD-0BD16F0C7C2E.jpeg

Saturday I’ll start the Reapers with my fingers crossed. Last time was my first go at it and germination rate was only 20%
This time I’ll have heat pads with a thermostat and a little more patience.

Gotta get out in the garage next and clean all the chainsaw carcasses out of my grow room so I can sheet it with osb. I got a bunch of six bulb T5HO fixtures from work when they upgraded to LED that need to go up, and plumb water from the garage sink for automated watering.