ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Hot Peppers 2021

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice grow!

What’s your success rate on the seeds actually popping? i’ve been germinating them in 3 parts water 1 part hydrogen peroxide first and I’m getting darn near 100% success. The peroxide helps air get in the seed and softens the shell a tad. They pop in about 24-48 hours and then go in dirt.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Thanks! I’ve never tried hydrogen peroxide but I usually get 80-90% on the standard hot Peppers without any pre soak. The first time I did reapers it was only 2 out of 10. I soaked them in black tea for 12 hours and used the jiffy peat pots per usual but I didn’t have any bottom heat and I think that was the culprit. I hope to get 80% this time.
I have had very good luck with seeds from the Sandia Seed Co. the hatch varieties I’ve gotten 100% germination before so I’m very optimistic about the reaper seeds

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Started some Serranos last night just for kicks. The wife keeps telling me not to get carried away like last year but she says that every year. Lol. A lot of these plants will be given away to friends or sold to coworkers so I’m not too worried 9E717797-0DE6-4795-8250-7E76694CDBBB.jpeg

getting blooms on the reaper. I have a fan on it and I rotate it 180 twice a day plus give it a shake so hopefully it will pollinate and I’ll have fruit on soon. 64E5E988-32C1-4133-8BEA-AC78821E2DB0.jpeg

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
I had no idea they grew into ummm trees like that.

Can't say I've seen many people with those kind of vegetables in a grow room eather:)
Yeah pepper plants are like a little fruit tree and if you keep them inside over winter you get a bumper crop that next season.

I think I know what “other” kind of vegetables you’re talking about and yes there was a time I used it for that ;) But it turns out I’m a lot better at growing peppers lol.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Where are you selling that your getting that? Roadside stand? FB Marketplace?

I've done Cayennes, Jalapeños, bananas, and such to pickle but now you have my attention.
That’s just what I’ve been told by several people at work but I think $20-$25 a bag is more realistic. I started growing them just for fun and was giving them away because I had so much. I didn’t realize there would be a demand until last summer when everyone I gave a bag to the year prior wanted more. It was like I was the dope man or something :laugh:

So it donned on me I could probably make some money off this. I have never seen reapers at any of the fruit stands or farmers markets around here either. There’s habanero and occasionally ghost peppers and they sell by the ounce. Also I’m sure it helps that we have a large Latino community here. Half the people I know and work with are Mexican lol.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Temp controller arrived. Took a little bit to figure out the best setup. Settled on stuffing the probe in a peat pod like you do a piece of meat. Calibrated the probes with a glass of ice water and it was within 1.2 degrees F FC4A27D3-A397-4576-83AC-6A98BB4FB3DF.jpeg 6F82DECB-A08A-4999-9A1E-9AE8AB2622E1.jpeg

turns out my ghetto setup wasn’t half bad, but it might have been TOO hot for some seeds.

With just the light, soil temps were over 90F in the big dome after a short period of time, so I cut back the temp setting for the light and focused more on the heat pad trying to find a happy medium. I’m hoping this will increase the germination rate.

here’s the controller I bought

Del_

Career arborist
Nice looking set up you've got going.

I've had good success germinating pepper seeds in plastic coffee cans. I put about an inch of soil in the bottom and then broadcast about 50 seeds then sprinkle cover with soil. The cans with lids on sit on top of our hot water heater and I adjust the temperature by the number of towels draped over the top. After the seeds germinate they are transplanted to plastic 4 cell packs on cafeteria trays. While peppers need 75 to 85°F to germinate the high temperatures are not needed once germination occurs. We grow only Jimmy Nardello Italian sweet peppers so we don't have a problem with keeping a pure seed line. We have also been playing around for about a decade with saving seeds from selected plants hopefully to get a line that does the best for our given gardening conditions and desires.

Other vegetable seeds we save are Okra, yellow squash, butternut squash, crimson sweet water melon and several cultivars of bush and pole beans.

We buy hybrid tomato seed for disease resistance and also buy sweet corn seed. Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower seeds need isolation that we can't do in our garden so we buy those too.

Seeds can be saved for years and some even for decades under the right storage conditions.

:cheers:

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Nice looking set up you've got going.

I've had good success germinating pepper seeds in plastic coffee cans. I put about an inch of soil in the bottom and then broadcast about 50 seeds then sprinkle cover with soil. The cans with lids on sit on top of our hot water heater and I adjust the temperature by the number of towels draped over the top. After the seeds germinate they are transplanted to plastic 4 cell packs on cafeteria trays. While peppers need 75 to 85°F to germinate the high temperatures are not needed once germination occurs. We grow only Jimmy Nardello Italian sweet peppers so we don't have a problem with keeping a pure seed line. We have also been playing around for about a decade with saving seeds from selected plants hopefully to get a line that does the best for our given gardening conditions and desires.

Other vegetable seeds we save are Okra, yellow squash, butternut squash, crimson sweet water melon and several cultivars of bush and pole beans.

We buy hybrid tomato seed for disease resistance and also buy sweet corn seed. Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower seeds need isolation that we can't do in our garden so we buy those too.

Seeds can be saved for years and some even for decades under the right storage conditions.

Thanks! That’s some good info there and I’ll have to look up those sweet peppers you mentioned the name just sounds cool lol.

I haven’t grown any sweet peppers. I did grab a pack of bell pepper seeds but I’m not sure what to do yet because I heard you can get cross pollination with the hot peppers. I may have to put them in containers away from the main garden or something.

Saving seeds is definitely on the list this year. I’ve tried in the past but it was a half hearted attempt and didn’t trust it. I’ll have to dig down on that.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks! That’s some good info there and I’ll have to look up those sweet peppers you mentioned the name just sounds cool lol.

I haven’t grown any sweet peppers. I did grab a pack of bell pepper seeds but I’m not sure what to do yet because I heard you can get cross pollination with the hot peppers. I may have to put them in containers away from the main garden or something.

Saving seeds is definitely on the list this year. I’ve tried in the past but it was a half hearted attempt and didn’t trust it. I’ll have to dig down on that.

We do our regular peppers and hot pepper in separate gardens. Had some "hot" bells one year. Well I wouldnt say hot, but they had an odd taste and got a tingle on your tongue after eating one. Odd thing is weve never had issues between the sweet and hot banana peppers, just the bell peppers. I'm planning to get our seeds started this weekend. We were very unprepared last year, and didnt do well with seedlings. Ended up buying plants. Think this year I'll be doing super chilis, banana (hot and sweet) jalapeno, and ghost peppers for our hot variety. I'm gonna try and get a plant of each that can come in the basement next year and over winter, with the lemon tree. Never knew it was a thing that could be done.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired

If the reaper is a hybird would the seed produce a true reaper or would it be a toss up what parent genetics it took after?

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
I have no idea lol. That’s something I am going to look into though so I don’t have to purchase them next year.
I try to grow some stuff ever year but sure ain't much good at it.
I planted my jalapenos late, maybe June, can't remember exactly, and they did well but only 5 plants
and everybody that came by wanted some so I'll plant more this year.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
We do our regular peppers and hot pepper in separate gardens. Had some "hot" bells one year. Well I wouldnt say hot, but they had an odd taste and got a tingle on your tongue after eating one. Odd thing is weve never had issues between the sweet and hot banana peppers, just the bell peppers. I'm planning to get our seeds started this weekend. We were very unprepared last year, and didnt do well with seedlings. Ended up buying plants. Think this year I'll be doing super chilis, banana (hot and sweet) jalapeno, and ghost peppers for our hot variety. I'm gonna try and get a plant of each that can come in the basement next year and over winter, with the lemon tree. Never knew it was a thing that could be done.
There’s videos on YouTube about over wintering peppers. Some people trim them back but I killed a cayenne one year trying that so I just bring them inside and let them drop leaves. We have what I guess you would call a “sun room” at the back of the house. It faces south and has a lot of windows so I just put them in there with the wife’s houseplants lol. If you put them in the basement they will need some light like a two or four bulb T8 on a timer.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
I try to grow some stuff ever year but sure ain't much good at it.
I planted my jalapenos late, maybe June, can't remember exactly, and they did well but only 5 plants
and everybody that came by wanted some so I'll plant more this year.
Get you a jug of fish fertilizer and a jug of Morbloom. feed once a week with the fish fertilizer. When they start flowering go 1/2 and 1/2 with the fish fert and the morbloom.

peppers and tomatoes also get a shot of bone meal and worm castings in the hole before planting. Stay away from chemical fertilizers like miracle gro it’s bad for the soil long term.
A36D7BFC-682C-46B9-9541-E2A1B2C9B946.jpeg E3A28E7A-37A9-4590-8889-BADDE19A4092.jpeg

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Get you a jug of fish fertilizer and a jug of Morbloom. feed once a week with the fish fertilizer. When they start flowering go 1/2 and 1/2 with the fish fert and the morbloom.

peppers and tomatoes also get a shot of bone meal and worm castings in the hole before planting. Stay away from chemical fertilizers like miracle gro it’s bad for the soil long term.
View attachment 882248 View attachment 882249
Tomatoes I can grow, and from seed usually, but the cut worms and stink bugs keep me busy on em.