ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Hot rod Poulan 3400

Discussion in 'Modded Work Saws' started by SamT1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. SamT1

SamT1 ArboristSite Guru

So what would you do to really make an old 3400 run? I know the exhaust port is horribly choked from the get go. But what do I need to do for timing?

Base gasket delete, mill it down if needed.
    Muffler of course
    Ignition advance +2
    Open exhaust and transfers a little
    I have been just smoothing intake bends and stuff, but maybe I should build up the intake with epoxy and get the volume way up?

I’m unsure what to do with the timing. I’ve never changed the timing on purpose! I want the thing to scream, I have a couple jugs I can screw up and if I ruin em I’d rather have a bigger jug anyway!
    I’m going to build this saw to ride in my tool box for impromptu wood cutting. It’s going to get beat up and abused. If it lives for 100 cords that would be a good deal.

James Miller likes this.
  2. milkie62

milkie62 ArboristSite Guru

I have 4 3700's and will hopefully see some good info here eventually. do you know if the timing needs advancing ?

James Miller likes this.
  3. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm modding my 3.7 one thing at a time. Started with muffler mod then smoothing the transition from carb to intake port. Next will be BG delete then bump the timing a little. 20191107_090706.jpg muffler mod 20200211_155627.jpg intake block smoothed for better flow.
    I'm doing it one thing at a time to see what shows the most gains without altering the ports.

4. trappermike

trappermike ArboristSite Guru

The best thing you can do with this saw is increase compression. The stock 3400/3700 Poulan had the lowest compression I've ever seen on a 2-stroke,comp. was about 110 psi on a Snap-on tester. Hopefully there is lotsa squish-gap you can take up on this motor with a thinner gasket,that's what I did with the one I tested.
    They were a great running saw,none the less...
    Raising the ex. port unfortunately results in less compression.