Hot Rod Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a silly question in my book, why would you build a little saw, that won't cut or perform as good as a bigger saw?

Not trying to pick a fight, just asking that's all.
You guy's act like I peed on your cornflakes.

All Big trees have small limbs. Why use a 090 to cut a bunch of 3-8'' limbs? :dizzy:This is why we like small saws also. Pretty simple actually man.

What are you calling a little saw? I would rather have a 70 or 90cc saw that will cut as fast as a 120cc saw with normal sized bars under 32".

Not a silly question in my book, why would you build a little saw, that won't cut or perform as good as a bigger saw?

I dont like to argue on here, but you keep asking the question over and over why are we doing it. We gave you alot of answers but you still continue to ask why why why?

So my question to you, Why does it matter?

where that pic of i think it was a 044 with a 4-barrel on top if it?

why not take a pinto (wildthing) and make it scream,
alot of guys run pinto's in the foreign stock class at the dirt track and they do well..

where that pic of i think it was a 044 with a 4-barrel on top if it?

why not take a pinto (wildthing) and make it scream,
alot of guys run pinto's in the foreign stock class at the dirt track and they do well..
I do kinda the same thing i show up to the strip racing the bracket class with a bunch of 12 sec cars. They give me weird looks but i have made it to the final round once.

It's pretty simple really.

Small saws are light and handy, with about the same power as mid sized saws just 20 years ago. Limbing and small felling, can be expanded to include felling and bucking mid sized trees with a Muffler Mod and some porting.

That means the larger saw dosn't hev to be used as often, and a Mid sized saw isn't needed at all.

It saves time, energy, work, and fatigue, and in many cases the modifications extend saw life.

At the same time, some guys find hot rodding them to be fun and rewarding beyond the performance gained.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Fallin' big timber out West is a SOB... So we try to get the best bang we can in a lightweight package. Haulin' a 088 or a 3120 for a 1 mile hike trough dense steep ground from the landing to fall timber is crazy. We have to pack in fuel, bar oil, wedges, tools, and an axe as well. So we modify smaller saws (like a Stihl 046 or a Husqvarna 385) to make it easier to pack in, but have a lightweight powerhouse to fall big wood.

I don't get modifying small POS saws... even for the fun of it... but that's me...

You didn't pee in anyones cornflakes... you just don't have a clue.

Gary

hot rodding the science & satisfaction

Why do we hot rod?.......hmmm...its like this....ok u go to cut firewood somewhere & theres a guy there using a bone stock 066 or something cuttin like 20" logs up thinkin hes king $H1T because he has a 066 with a 36" bar cutting little logs.......& u pull out a 372 or a 385 or 440 or 460 & he laughs & goes huh...what ya gonna do with those lil things....& u just kinda keep to yourself & dont tell him no different & go huh....i dont know buddy we'll have to see...with a grin on ur face...:) Then u proceed to start up ur signifignatly smaller than his saw....& blow his doors off in bigger trees than he's cuttin... & when both of you are done & he goes...i didnt know those little SOB's ran like that...thats when you just grin & say yea...yea they do....:):cheers:.....I did that the other day to a guy with two PS7900s & told me i couldnt beat him with my 385...so we raced through a log both had 24" bars & same chains......his saw is running like 13,300rpm...i tached my 385 in right at 13,000rpm...its against the limiter...I cleaned his clock...he never beat me. Then he said i couldnt beat that 7900 w/20" bar with my 440 w/20" bar in 12" wood......again.....he didnt have anything to say after that....other than he thinks my 440 is port & polished & really its never been apart...lol:greenchainsaw:

Yes,,it IS a silly question... to those that know the answer and why..
maybe to YOU it is not,BUT i think you may have gotten enough replies by now to know the reason..
with all the explainations posted if you dont by now understand ,may i suggest another hobby ??
otherwise ask about the "how" instead of trying to make the "why" look foolish..
have fun!!
BTW,i just pooped in your cheerios if you want to talk that way :)

Why do we hot rod?.......hmmm...its like this....ok u go to cut firewood somewhere & theres a guy there using a bone stock 066 or something cuttin like 20" logs up thinkin hes king $H1T because he has a 066 with a 36" bar cutting little logs.......& u pull out a 372 or a 385 or 440 or 460 & he laughs & goes huh...what ya gonna do with those lil things....& u just kinda keep to yourself & dont tell him no different & go huh....i dont know buddy we'll have to see...with a grin on ur face...:) Then u proceed to start up ur signifignatly smaller than his saw....& blow his doors off in bigger trees than he's cuttin... & when both of you are done & he goes...i didnt know those little SOB's ran like that...thats when you just grin & say yea...yea they do....:):cheers:.....I did that the other day to a guy with two PS7900s & told me i couldnt beat him with my 385...so we raced through a log both had 24" bars & same chains......his saw is running like 13,300rpm...i tached my 385 in right at 13,000rpm...its against the limiter...I cleaned his clock...he never beat me. Then he said i couldnt beat that 7900 w/20" bar with my 440 w/20" bar in 12" wood......again.....he didnt have anything to say after that....other than he thinks my 440 is port & polished & really its never been apart...lol:greenchainsaw:

I usually only have them kind of dreams after excessive alcohol comsumption coupled with use of non prescription drugs..
&u,, &u , &u , &u ,&u, and $h1t, and and UR , and U and, UR , and, etc..
Thats ok man,after a good nights sleep and things wear off , reality will still be there in the morning :)

Okay I will change my mind and say "because it is FUN"....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVM1eFonGks?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVM1eFonGks?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back