Hot Wings Maple Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans

Reaction score
Hello all.

We planted a hot wings tatarian maple in our yard approximately two years ago. Beautiful tree and seems to be growing well... However, the tree has not developed the red samaras.Does anyone have any ideas as to why these are not showing up? Do these trees take a couple years to develop? Is soil ph or minerals potentially not right for samara development?

We live in Loveland, CO not far from Fort Collins where this tree was developed. The tree is in the front yard of a south-facing house. There are no trees directly adjacent so it gets full sun. We have an irrigation system for the grass.

Thanks

I read the same thing about their tolerance for poor souls but wanted to ask if the lack of samaras is indicative of any specific missIng nutrients.

I have read that they also prefer drier soils/infrequent watering. I dropped the ball this winter and did not water as much as I should have. Maybe that explains the lack of samaras showing up on the spring...

The tree is approximately 10’ tall and beautiful.

My fear is that we got a mislabeled tree but the leaves and other characteristics match a hot wings.

Attachments

• C4CDD9BD-7DD3-42E6-B178-C3D71FB3A1C3.jpeg
    C4CDD9BD-7DD3-42E6-B178-C3D71FB3A1C3.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
Back