House bound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm already into 'chainsaw withdrawal' symptoms and only been out of the hospital for 24 hours. Back surgery for arthritis in L4, L5. Doc says he cleaned out a lot!

Bad part is no pain but I am basically restricted from doing ANYTHING for 3 weeks and lift nothing more than about 10 lbs (gallon of milk) for 6 weeks. No driving for 3 weeks. That last is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It involves nothing ore than sitting there and that is what they want me doing in house anyhow.

I will cheat but carefully. Probably start moving about 2 cords wood into the portch. That will involve nothing bur riding the garden tractor pulling a wagon, loading it one stick at a time and then unloading it inside the porch. Beyond that I figure to just sit around the house and go stir crazy.

Better do what the doctor tells you, I been there. you do too much and you'll be back in the hospital. the reason for not driving is a sudden stop where you have to react quickly could tear things open. Take it easy and heal up slowly, the back is nothing to mess with. when you cheat, you are taking a chance. not worth it in the long run. glad you have no pain but they may have you on drugs that prohibit the pain now. Don't rush it, let your body heal.

I'm'not far behind you, just found out on Wednesday that my suspected torn meniscus is actually a blown out ACL and bone fracture. What could have been a quick surgery and a few weeks of light duty will now be 6-9 months of zero range of motion in my leg, crutches, and regular PT.

Been walking around like this for almost a month, but after surgery and grafting the tendon it's going an extended trip to Donothingtown.

First visit by teh Home Health PT. Likes my condition, agrees that soem of the restrictions (driving for one) are not realistic and only assigned 'walk"...'walk some more but don't force it".

Major problem now is sleeping. Not supposed to sleep on my back but that is the only position I can find without pain to keep me awake. The PT said there is no problem with sleeping on my back.

My plans of soon moving wood to the porch 'gently' has changed. It will be atleast a week before I try that. Driving restriction gone so it is off to shopping tomorrow to restock kitchen.

be carefull fellas. We are dropping like flies. Been 1 month since shoulder rebuild. nobody is any worse at doing nothing that me, but I've done good so far and am not gonna do anything stupid at this stage of the game. As long as these guys keep posting cutting pics, I will be ok. Thanks fellas

What happened?? I'm so sorry - did I miss a thread on what happened?

Yes, yes you did.

I'll sum it up.

Old man has back surgery. (said with respect)
Announces such on the internet.
Swarmed by internet Nannies.
Unc is befuddled.

Wishing you the best Harry.

We are all praying for you, you heathen.

Yes, yes you did.

I'll sum it up.

Old man has back surgery. (said with respect)
Announces such on the internet.
Swarmed by internet Nannies.
Unc is befuddled.

Wishing you the best Harry.

We are all praying for you, you heathen.

Good summary! :ices_rofl: Things looking up a bit. I managed to get my old man's nap in today without any leg pain. Couple short walks along the highway and many boring hours in front of the boob toob.

Good summary! :ices_rofl: Things looking up a bit. I managed to get my old man's nap in today without any leg pain. Couple short walks along the highway and many boring hours in front of the boob toob.
Keep up the good work! Hang in there , the time will go by quickly and you'll be cursin' havin' to do wood before you know it!

1 week since the surgery. No pain except in lower back and that is more 'nuisance' than pain. Haven't taken a pain pill for 3 days. Walking around is still a bit 'wobbly' especially in the woodlot on rough ground. I carry a cane just for a bit of stability but try not to use it. Have to remind myself to 'stand up straight' - tendency is to bend over a bit but I don't want that to be a habit.

60 mile round trip shopping today. No problems either in car or in the stores
Moved one wagon load of wood from the wood yard to the back porch using the garden tractor. Loaded the wagon one stick at a time and took off the top of the pile so I didn't have to do any bending over.

All in all I am satisfied except for that persistent lower back pain. Can't stand in one spot very long before it builds up and forces me to sit down a couple minutes.

1 week since the surgery. No pain except in lower back and that is more 'nuisance' than pain. Haven't taken a pain pill for 3 days. Walking around is still a bit 'wobbly' especially in the woodlot on rough ground. I carry a cane just for a bit of stability but try not to use it. Have to remind myself to 'stand up straight' - tendency is to bend over a bit but I don't want that to be a habit.

60 mile round trip shopping today. No problems either in car or in the stores
Moved one wagon load of wood from the wood yard to the back porch using the garden tractor. Loaded the wagon one stick at a time and took off the top of the pile so I didn't have to do any bending over.

All in all I am satisfied except for that persistent lower back pain. Can't stand in one spot very long before it builds up and forces me to sit down a couple minutes.

Sounds like things are coming back to normal. Don’t get too rambunctious. When I was laid up after cancer surgery I spent a lot of time at my other hobby, reloading ammo. Not as labor intensive as working the saws.
Stay the course and don’t overdo until you get the green light to run the saws again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back