ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How about an MS290 big bore kit?

Discussion in 'Bailey's' started by brages, Dec 2, 2008.

1. brages

brages Addicted to ArboristSite

Seems like a no-brainer...

Yeah, these are not pro saws, but they're very common ("Stihl's most popular saw"), and you know you're safe to enlarge the bore because the MS390 is the same saw with a bigger top end. I think the 390 piston is already available on the aftermarket.

So how about a cheap knockoff MS390 cylinder and piston? Would probably save a few toasted MS290's and 029's from the landfill...!
    :cheers:

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. Grande Dog

Grande Dog ArboristSite.com Sponsor

We've been working on this. We're heading more towards a shortblock that would come with the crank, bearings, and seals. It would be more of a drop in unit. We should have a 039/390, and a 025/MS250 shortblock in early 2009.
    I've seen a bunch of Chinese manufactured ones on ebay. I've looked at a few from different manufacturers. They look pretty rough. Anybody out there using the ebay ones on a regular basis?

SeMoTony and BSPower like this.
  3. brages

I have seen the cheap Ebay piston/cylinder kits on Ebay - they are all 290-sized (46mm). I have a broken-down 290 on my workbench right now that is in need of a piston and probably a cylinder, but I haven't decided what to do.

SeMoTony likes this.
  4. brages

Will the 390 be set up with a compression release?

Will it be basically a 390 cylinder clone, or will it have a different bore, stroke, etc?

SeMoTony likes this.
  5. Grande Dog

This kit would be a standard bore clone.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy ArboristSite Member

Great...NOW you tell me! I've been holding out and trying to find an aftermarket 039 cylinder/piston kit to go on my 029 rebuild, but as I needed the saw this weekend, I had to go for an aftermarket 029 kit instead.

Oh well, if the aftermarket kit turns out to be crappy, or burns out, I hope the 039 kit is then available! :)

7. woodchuck361

woodchuck361 ArboristSite Guru

If you offered a kit with the 390 cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, and bearing, and a base gasket you would sell them like hotcakes. I think every 290 owner that tinkers on saws would buy one. I know I would.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. CTtree

CTtree New Member

What about using Bailey's 49mm short block cylinder on a 029?

I have an old 029 sitting on my garage, it still run's fine but having a 260, 460, and 660 it never gets started and used. I was wondering if using the 49mm short block kit from baileys would drop right in to the 029. If it will increase the displacement and give it a little more power; add a muffler mod in, then I'd use it.

The only thing I don't like is the kits made in Taiwan. I've had bad luck with overseas junk.

Any suggestions??

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy ArboristSite Member

Great stuff! I don't use my MS290 for the same reason (got a sweet 260). And having popped a working aftermarket 290cc kit in, I'm not due a replacement at this time. Stihl, this is a mighty nice kit and great idea - good on Bailey's for finally bringing it to market. When I do need a replacement cylinder kit for the ol' 290 I'll definitely be ordering one!

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=SBN+390&catID=258

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. H 2 H

H 2 H FLASHER

Here is one with that setup

[​IMG]

BSPower likes this.
  11. Wileyone27

Wileyone27 ArboristSite Member

I just ordered the kit. Does anyone know if I need to change the carb on my 290. I noticed the carb for the 290 is a 18c last for of part number 0604 the carb on a 390 is a 21c last for of part number 0605. Will the kit work with the 18c carb

Thanks
    William

SeMoTony and Sagetown like this.
  12. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

Your 029/290 carb will work fine with the 390 short block. I've put several together.

SeMoTony likes this.
  13. Wileyone27

Wileyone27 ArboristSite Member

Ok great thanks alot appreciate the quick response

SeMoTony likes this.
  14. ri chevy

ri chevy ArboristSite Guru

NWP 390 conversion

Just checking here, is this basically a drop in kit that is already sealed up and ready to go? This is really interesting. Does everything else on the 029/290 swap over to this new short block?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    SeMoTony likes this.
  15. Grande Dog

Howdy,
    Yes, it's a plug n' play deal. They are factory sealed and tested. All the existing parts swap out no problem.
    Regards
    Gregg

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. ri chevy

Thank you Sir!

17. Steve_M

Steve_M New Member

Hello,

My MS 290 blew up yesterday. It felt strangely tight when starting it, worked for about 15 minutes (although not as powerful as normal), made a puff sound, then quit running. It now has no compression. I haven't had a chance to open it up to see what happened. Anyway, I'm considering the 039/390 short block replacement. They've been out for a few years now. Does anyone have experience using this replacement engine? Good/bad/other? If you've used it for many years and it's running strong I'd like to know. Hopefully I just need a piston but until I open my 290 engine up I won't know.

Thanks,
    Steve

SeMoTony likes this.
  18. bigbluram

bigbluram master of destruction

I put one in my 290 in January this year and have prob 30 tanks thru it so far with no problems. It has a lot more power than it did before but I muff modded it at the same time,it will now almost cut with a 362 and is the same weight. Not a bad deal imo. Mine had 155 compression when broke in.

19. ri chevy

Any long term updates to report with this 290/390 upgrade kit?

20. Jkrhubs

Jkrhubs ArboristSite Lurker

Hey guys, blew my 290 up yesterday with an a$$ over head move. Won't get into the whole story, but grabbed wrong fuel can. Everyone that's done something long enough, knows that stupid accidents happen...please don't judge too hard I've beaten myself up enough over it and ready to remedy my mistake. Enough rambling.
    I read for over two hours on this site last night before joining and figure I should drop the Baileys 390 short block in it. I saw it said it is designed for compression release (not included). Will I need to do any modifications to my 290, besides dropping new block in? I know carb will be sufficient and prob do lil muffler mod. I have never taken on such a project, but looking forward to

SeMoTony likes this.