Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

How about an MS290 big bore kit?

Discussion in 'Bailey's' started by brages, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Jkrhubs

Jkrhubs ArboristSite Lurker

Sorry, looking forward to it. I appreciate the camaraderie on this site and all of your time and knowledge. I run a construction business so if there are any questions in that profession feel free. I want to order 390 kit today and get my saw back running. It's been a great saw and user error took it out of commission. Thank you!

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. ri chevy

ri chevy ArboristSite Guru

First off welcome to the forum!
    :welcome:

No. Just put the plug in. Skip the decompression valve. The plug is better and cheaper.
    While your at it see if you can get someone to snap a few photos and share them with us.

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. Jkrhubs

Okay great. I will do best I can at documenting it. Taking kids to school then will order it. Gonna be a good test of my patience lol

SeMoTony and ri chevy like this.
  4. ri chevy

What year is your 290?

5. Jkrhubs

Just a guess without looking for serial # 2005?

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Jkrhubs

It is a 2006 MS290
    Sorry 2006 MS290

7. ri chevy

Ok. Thank you.
    Good luck on the rebuild.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. Jkrhubs

How do you all feel about aftermarket parts? I'm sure there are certain things you would buy and some you wouldn't. While my saw is apart, I wanted to do new fuel line, filter, impulse line, and intake line. I was looking on eBay and most are aftermarket. Let me know and then I'll order what you suggest. Thanks

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. gllcllc

gllcllc New Member

Hi all I found this thread when my 290 gave out. I ordered a new short block from Baileys and installed today. When I went to pull the starter rope the thing will not turn over. I tried turning the nut on the flywheel with a ratchet and it just will not turn more than maybe 1/8 turn either way. The flywheel is not hitting anything, the whole other side (clutch and chain brake) is still disassembled. What am I missing here?? Thanks for any help.

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. Bailey's Inc.

Bailey's Inc. Professional outdoor work gear & equipment

Hi Gllcllc,
    Can you see if the rings are seated properly through the muffler port?
    Give us a call @ 800 322 4539 and we will take care of you. You can call me directly at ext 248 or talk to one of our mechanics at ext 238.

Best Regards.

Mike

11. nglauer

nglauer ArboristSite Lurker

Sorry to revive an old thread. I have a 029 that I picked up 3 or 4 years ago for $50.00.... and I've used it on our property to occasionally clear brush and small trees since then. It is still running great, but I stumbled across this thread after looking for information on fuel leaks (mine appears to be leaking at the tank fitting). I've ordered new fuel lines, filters, plug, etc. I was curious what everyones thoughts were on this kit? I usually just cut stuff that falls and occasionally clear trails with my 029 and Homelite Super XL. When using it today I did notice the tree I was cutting bogged it down and I think a bigger bar would have been helpful due to the tree size. Could I get your opinions on this kit or others? I'd love to get more power out of it and go a little bigger on my bar. At $50.00 it's been a great saw.... if I could make it greater I wouldn't mind investing some money in it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

Why not just get a bigger saw? If you mod the 290 you will still have a small saw with a larger cylinder. When I do a major build on a saw then clean up the ports and enlarge the muffler a bit. The muffler is always a restriction so a larger muffler is prerequisite. My small saws are 60cc so I can not imagine anything smaller, but I see many areas where as the trees are small too so it probably makes sense to rebuild the smaller saws. Thanks

ri chevy and SeMoTony like this.
  13. Kamn

Kamn New Member

About a month ago I swapped out the piston and cylinder on an ms290 I bought. I used an aftermarket p/c for a 390, and I have to say that there is a big difference from my other 290 that is stock. I also modded the muffler. The kit I used was from Huztl and have since ran about 13-15 tanks of fuel through it with no issues

ri chevy likes this.
  14. nglauer

Awesome. Thank you for the responses. My saw runs great, but I don't know it's history. At $50.00 for a total investment I figured it wouldn't hurt to eventually put a few dollars into it. I don't really need anything bigger, although I would like a bigger saw. 70% of the trees on our property are Popular and almost all of them have died due to some type of plight that went through roughly 8 years ago (if I remember right). Because of this many of the tops are dead. I have a friend who is going to drop them from his 80ft boom truck. I just wanted to freshen up my 029 before he does this. I would estimate he'll drop 20-25 popular trees this time around. I just need to cut them in lengths our Kubota BX can handle, so it'll be a lot of cutting to me (but probably not much to a professional). Could I get bar length /chain opinions from you guys too? I currently have the original Stihl bar, and I know nothing about the chain that is on it. Dad owns a bench top electric sharpener so I can have him sharpen it for me, but I suspect it's pretty old too.

Thanks again!
    Nick

ri chevy likes this.
  15. nglauer

I may try the muffler mod, if it makes a decent difference I wouldn't mind trying it too

ri chevy likes this.
  16. Overkill338

Overkill338 Wear clean sprockets incase ur in an accident.

I'd love to have a big bore/stroker kit for the MS180. Sure, it might seem silly, but it would be fun, and very handy to have more power in such a light saw.

ri chevy likes this.
  17. hbohnet

hbohnet ArboristSite Lurker

I was just given a ms290 that needs a new cylinder and am going to order the short block kit from Baileys. The saw never came with a bar but plan on putting a 20", .325, .050 bar on it. Can anyone tell me whether a 7 or 8 tooth sprocket works best with the extra displacement. Saw has a 8 tooth now. Thanks

ri chevy likes this.
  18. Kamn

Kamn New Member

hbohnet,
    I run a 7 tooth on mine with a 20" bar

ri chevy likes this.
  19. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I think you are missing the point that you brought up. If you have 50% more power that does not mean that one sprocket or the other is now viable. More power often means you can pull a bigger or longer bar. One important aspect is what kind of wood are you cutting at what size? Chain speed is some what of a preference. If you want fast chain speed that does not mean that you will cut much faster. I prefer slowest chain speed for most applications, but that does not mean that every one wants slow speeds. If you are cutting 16'' logs with a 18'' that are almost all soft wood then a fast chain speed will be a pretty good choice. However if you cut both soft and hard with occasional 36'' hardwood logs then the slower chain speed would be a better choice. Or just get both the smallest sprocket and the largest because it only takes a few minutes to change. The slower chain speeds tend to stay sharp longer and are a little more forgiving under harsh conditions. Thanks

ri chevy likes this.
  20. hbohnet

hbohnet ArboristSite Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I have read a little bit about sprocket size and chain speed but other than that really don't know a lot about it, always run whatever sprocket came with the saw. Because this saw was given to me with no bar and that I am increasing the power was looking for a simple answer. Sounds like there isn't one, and will try the one on the saw and see how it performs. Thanks again!