How bad is the damage to this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otherrealm123

Reaction score
Hello,

The property that I purchased recently has a beautiful red maple tree (pictured below).
IMG_7223.jpeg

The house is undergoing a complete renovation and I've told the builder to stay away from the trees to avoid any construction-related damage. Unfortunately, he did not seem to listen to my request as I visited the property a few weeks ago to find a pile of dirt/fill, from when the excavator excavated the home's old stoop, sitting underneath the maple tree. (The tree is no where near the excavation site FYI).

I returned about a week later to find the pile gone, but found a mess of dirt, a few old bricks, and some exposed roots under the tree. I assume the excavator used some type of small bulldozer/earth mover type machine to push the dirt pile out from under the tree.

It seems to be a fairly young tree (it is by no means old) and there are no broken branches or damage to the bark. Also, this is the only instance of disturbance to this tree thus far. No other construction equipment has been driven over this spot. I am wondering how bad the damage is (compacted soil?) and what measures should be taken to help the tree at this point. Thanks!

I see a brick in the photos and some loose dirt but no big bark skinning where a cozer would have backed into tree or anything like that.
One small surface root showing ?
No depressed earth like a D10 or something had driven past.

No big deal, no damage to tree to my eyeballs.

Back