How big a saw to keep in car/truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys I live in the suburbs and wondering what size saw I should keep in car/truck. Won't be my everyday saw at all. Just to keep in there incase tree falls on road driving somewhere. Cut it up continue on way. Most I'd say 30 inches. Maybe a little bigger. Won't get used much at all. I have other saws I use for my firewood collecting.

50? 60? 70? Not sure.

I would consider buying used on this for its limited use.

I like dolmar and Stihl the best.

What I'm asking is what models should I look at.

Again I'd buy used if looks good.

I have other saws but I don't want them banged around in car.

Thanks.

Have you ever encountered a tree you had to remove from a public road? Based on the small amount of information you provided it is pointless for us to respond given we know nothing of your location and the size wood that could potentially impede your progress. you might try doing a search, this question has been answered many times before.

20-30 inches average. Sometimes a little more. If its any indication they sell more homeowner and farm ranch saws here then big saws. Biggest they sell on average Is 70cc and that's mostly tree service guys.

Space limited, I always liked 034's w/ 20" bars to have if limiting myself to 1 saw that might be needed or not. I've cut 30"+ diameter White oak to firewood, using 1 034 super solo. They don't take up that much space and handle similar to a 50 cc limbing saw , and buck up to 20" wood in most species without to much a strain. Power wise they feel closer to an 044-440 then the smaller 50 cc models. If you want to spend a lot and tie up more cash the 562 xp is nice, more modern and performs very well and I 'm sure others will do also.

Buick Century

An 026 & 650. Cut my way thru 3 times in 4 years.

At 3 in the AM I don't want to go back to another road.

Keep a can of premix and the saws dry.

026 always enough. Biggest was 20" across the road.

650 doesn't take up much room.

Buick is just for work and back. 100 miles. Most back roads.

Last edited:
I keep the Makita DCS510 in the toolbox on the truck all the time and have used it enough to carry a can of the true fuel with me.

Porting is a good option as you get the same power with a smaller engine

302217-chainsaw-powered-russian-bicycle-537x443-jpg

You'd probably get 10 likes if you posted that to the WTF thread.

Go with something in the 55-60cc range.That way you have enough power to cut some big stuff and still be able to cut limbs too.Without getting too worn out.
For me I Live in the woods and only have one way out.I take care of many houses on the local lake.If it Snows I have to be able to get out of where I live to check the Heat,Docks,ETC.If I hear that theres a Big Storm coming I just throw in all of my Saws,Pole Trimmer,Gas and Oil.I usually have the Road cleared before the County and Power companies get to me.I have an F150 with a Fiberglass bed cover so everything stays in the dry all of the time except for the bar and chain on my pole trimmer and it usually has a cover over it.

You need a MS 441 R C-M with 32" bar. It packs in the vehicle nicely, and you won't have to worry about hot start issues.

911FD846-8141-4301-AE1F-A093103E2CA2-6851-000006C589308305.jpg

I ussually carry my 334T husky in my truck all the time. when there are big storms on the prowl i will throw in a bigger saw. I do a lot of storm cleanup with the fire dept so carry a chainsaw is a must.

I have never carried a saw in my personal vehicle in hopes of finding a tree in the road in fact if i did i wouldn't want to cut it up anyways but i've never come acrossed one i couldn't drive around. Now in the work truck there is 2 200T's,201T,355T,2 346xp's,2 372xp's,390xp,3120xp,power pruner,pole saws,hand saws,ladders,rope,it has a bucket on top and a chipper behind it so i could pretty much conquer the world:rock:

I have never carried a saw in my personal vehicle in hopes of finding a tree in the road in fact if i did i wouldn't want to cut it up anyways but i've never come acrossed one i couldn't drive around. Now in the work truck there is 2 200T's,201T,355T,2 346xp's,2 372xp's,390xp,3120xp,power pruner,pole saws,hand saws,ladders,rope,it has a bucket on top and a chipper behind it so i could pretty much conquer the world:rock:

Should we call you "Alexander the Great!" :jester:

Back