How big a saw to keep in car/truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never carried a saw in my personal vehicle in hopes of finding a tree in the road in fact if i did i wouldn't want to cut it up anyways but i've never come acrossed one i couldn't drive around.

I second this. I'm using my saw 5 days a week and have plenty to cut as it is.

If I had to carry a saw, it'd something cheap and brand new. Maybe a pp5020 w/a can of premix and bar oil. Why a cheap saw? In case it gets stolen. My work truck is worth less than the gear it carries, no way I'm going to chance losing a good saw, especially in Houston!

A free Poulan 2150 with the difuser screen removed and the exhaust holes widened with a flat head screwdriver and some full chisel .325. ya know just in case...

or better yet a Poulan 245A and a face mask, no

Last edited:
I don't doubt some people never have a need for a chainsaw in their daily driving, but some do . Even though is not often it does make life more easy if you have it when a need comes. Kinda like having a fire extinguisher for the unexpected. Myself, I have cleaned large branches off the county roads here in IN before the county even knew about them. I could of turned around and took another road and never had a use for having a chainsaw with me but I saved myself and any others that hassel by taking care of it on the spot. If you spend a lot of time in the real outdoors a chainsaw I find a real asset in many instances . In the mountain back roads after a heavy rain its not at all unusual for large trees to wash out and end up across the road. Going back around isn't always an easy option. Ice storms, another story. If you own property, and drive through it, its nice to take care of some of the chainsaw chores as you discover it vs. leaving it all for later.
55cc to 70 cc gets my vote for all around usefulness, but something is better then nothing when you have a use for a tool.

Never in my 45 years have I ever had the need for a chainsaw in my daily driver. Think about it. You're driving a Corolla around the suburbs. It's not like you live in the jungle.

depends where you live ,in the winter iv'e come across lot of blowdown across roads ,we have trees here tho :cool2:

I realize that there are some of you that do. However, you don't live in the suburbs.

Good point. This is subjective, for sure. In my rural location, people don't call the county, they call 911, that's me. My response vehicle is minimal, I'm a B/C, so I respond, assess and call for additional resources as necessary. The problem comes when the storm damage is wide spread and varied. I carry my MS290 during the "busy season". I've only used it a few times, but it has allowed removal of small debris, opening the road for travel before additional resources can arrive.

Living in the outlying wooded areas during typical NW weather is always a guessing game. The municipal and power company resources are always deployed to the areas closest to high density population first, we may be days away from help, so we do our best...;)

Unprepared or over compensating???????? Inquiring minds DON'T want to know.....jus sayin.....

Well you have to look super manly cutting a 2" sapling out of the road. I have cut 3 trees out of the road I live off of in the past 2 winters. The county would be several hours since it's not a major road.

Last edited:
Never in my 45 years have I ever had the need for a chainsaw in my daily driver. Think about it. You're driving a Corolla around the suburbs. It's not like you live in the jungle.

Actually happens quite a bit down here. And Atlanta and surrounding burbs are heavily treed. You should have seen the area after hurricane Opal petered through the region.

Not saying it happens frequently, but I know I see it a few times a year at least, some I have cut myself, but usually the early morning commuters drag/cut branches and trees out of the way. Plenty of guys with trucks/saws/chains/tow straps etc.

With that said, I don't carry a fuel saw but a nice bow saw/ropes all the time, just in case.

Saw that could do the job and not be expensive or anything, I second the motion of getting a cheap earthquake, tweak it a little. Carry some sealed canned fuel and a quart or two bar oil.

Of course if you have a nice pro saw locked in the trunk, you could come home one day, have been robbed outta the garage..and still have at least one pro saw in reserve!

Latest posts

Back