How big a saw to keep in car/truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I live in the suburbs and wondering what size saw I should keep in car/truck. Won't be my everyday saw at all. Just to keep in there incase tree falls on road driving somewhere. Cut it up continue on way. Most I'd say 30 inches. Maybe a little bigger. Won't get used much at all. I have other saws I use for my firewood collecting.

50? 60? 70? Not sure.

I would consider buying used on this for its limited use.

I like dolmar and Stihl the best.

What I'm asking is what models should I look at.

Again I'd buy used if looks good.

I have other saws but I don't want them banged around in car.

Thanks.

I have no Idea as to whats been said before...

When I do need to carry a saw in the truck (winter...) I will throw in my little ms260 its small enough to not get in the way to bad and still has enough grunt to pull a 20" skip tooth, I have used it to buck up 40" white pine... took 4-5 rounds to a tank but when that's all you got...

By the way I drive a regular cab truck... no tool box, open bed, no cover. There is also a pulaski a set or two of tools, fire extinguisher, air compressor(small one) jumper cables, tire changing stuff, few spare parts(hoses belts solenoids) small OH #### bag... and can usually still seat two in the front seat, if they don't mind being gouged by my calks and my smelly rain gear...

Ive never ounce needed a saw in town. I have however had to remove down trees to get and from hunting and jobsites in remote locations. Ive drug them out of the way cut them with my 026 or drove around them ive even turned around.
026 has done some trees i couldnt cut all the way through but was close enough to yank it a part with a chain and some cummins grunt.

I've never come across on the roads often and I'm in the county, the only tree I ever cut was a ash and that was at most 6" and all I had in the car was a 660 with 36" and stihl I could have needed a 48" on a 880:lol:

Well this is a strange thread.

90% of what you will need to do is clear limbs first.
I've done this as we live on a private road that's all treed up.
Cleared limbs then made two cross cuts to create a log that could be rolled out of the way.
You're not likely to buck the tree up!
It's a PIA to clear a tree on the road. Cars quickly stack up and want to get by.

A big saw would not be a great choice.
I would put the cheapest least oil leaking saw with a 20" bar in the back of the rig.
A consumer model Echo CS450 or similar... If it's stolen it's cheap to replace.
Better yet, just load it up if a storm is coming. Otherwise what's the point?

IMHO, the question raises more questions.

If you're going to have ONE "car saw," what makes you think that just ONE "car saw" will be enough, hmmm?

I mean, if you're going to run into trees fallen in the road, you're also going to run into limbs fallen in the road.
You're going to need a big saw for getting through large trunks.
You're going to need a limbing saw (traffic is in a hurry and needs to get to work, ain't nobody got time to wait for you to limb with your 660).
You could need a top-handle climbing saw if there are bad overhead hangers.
This is just a provisional list.

About the only time I've been stopped by a tree in the road was on the NJ Turnpike one day when all of a sudden, at about 80 mph, the cop car that was ~ 400 yards ahead of me started weaving back and forth almost like he was out of control across about 8 lanes, locking up his brakes. People were fishtailing all over the place, including me. A tree was down in the road, and was already starting to get shredded by the traffic. The cop had no help, so I and some other guys got out of our vehicles and helped the cop drag as much of the tree out of the roadway as we could. It was pretty funny to see the way everybody started jumping out of their cars at once. I think the cop was almost scared for a second, he had this weird look on his face as about 15 or 20 dudes started jogging up on him...

You may have to deal with storms aswell as spontaneous tree felling events were under ground earthquakes can instantly bring down 100s or thousands of trees.

I got to thinking that my 18volt makita sawzall has been damn handy on a few trees. It rides in a duffle bag along with a drill, 1/2" impact, batteries and charger.

These tools are what i feel naked if i leave home without them and the fit in bag the size of small saw.

My pick and is what is in the tool box of my truck is Stihl 044 magnum with a 25"bar you can handle small to big stuff that block your way on most road ways.

If there calling for bad weather I'll throw the ported 590 in the car. Outside of that I don' keep a saw in the car.

How do you like your Tacoma?
so nobody realized that this was a thread from 2013..... You sir almost won the zombie thread award...but about 4 months ago a guy drug one up that was actually 8 years old so you got to try harder if you want the crown....the rest of you....need to pay attention ha ha ha ha ha :)

so nobody realized that this was a thread from 2013..... You sir almost won the zombie thread award...but about 4 months ago a guy drug one up that was actually 8 years old so you got to try harder if you want the crown....the rest of you....need to pay attention ha ha ha ha ha :)
 smarty pants :laughing::drinkingcoffee:

smarty pants :laughing::drinkingcoffee:
Sorry all the car and truck forums I hang on we poke fun at zombie threads except when they are brought up to add knowledge to that particular subject...old habits die hard.... But I was not kidding about the other one that was like 8 years old ;)

Sorry all the car and truck forums I hang on we poke fun at zombie threads except when they are brought up to add knowledge to that particular subject...old habits die hard.... But I was not kidding about the other one that was like 8 years old ;)
Lol. That was most likely me. :laugh:

When I went to my wood lot in vt I took my 266xP with a 18” bar. That should cur any blow downs across the road.

Back