How can I make the cycle time faster on this log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How can I make the cycle time faster on this log spilitter

• Total voters
you can't unless you replace the pressure valve (larger) and install larger supply lines and larger hydraulics and I doubt you'd gain 2 seconds, IMO 12 seconds ain't all that bad for 900$

More HP and bigger pump decreases cycling time. Or just sell what you have and start over. My cycle time is around 5 or 6 seconds, but still have to grab rounds and move the piles. My average is about one cord from 45 minutes to 75 minutes. With two of us 35 minutes if we do not stop to have a soda. Tape has it right $900 is not bad. Cycle time is only part of being productive. Thanks

Wow Ted, about an hour per cord, that excellent..... kudos
Those times you would surely make a nice profit selling wood. I use a hand pump, I do not have much timber and the pumping helps keep my old ass in better health than having a gas unit.

Larger pump, cylinder with large rod (fast return time) (then will likely need a "dump valve" (pilot operated valve) for most of the return stroke oil to bypass the splitter control valve due to high gpm.
Like my setup, 30gpm pump, return stroke is about 70gpm. (I forget the rod size at the moment, I want to say 3 or 3.25" on a 4.5" cylinder

Bigger pump, or smaller diameter cylinder. Bigger pump requires bigger motor. Smaller cylinder will give reduction in splitting force.

I’m currently crossing the same bridge and am looking at a twin engine/pump set up. Because a 5hp engine and 11 gpm pump with hoses can be had for less then $300.

Simple answer, $$$$$.
Most of this has already been said but to gain speed, you need large pump, large motor to spin it, large hoses to handle the flow, and small cylinder with a large rod.
If the cylinder isn't broken, it isn't worth replacing as it is the most expensive part.
To turn a larger pump, you will need a bigger motor. If you can find an old riding mower with a good engine for free, you could step up to a 22 gpm pump for about $200, but you will be on your on for mounting the motor and pump. Then you will need 3/4 in lines. (Does the cylinder and valve have 3/4 ports?) You may need a bigger hydraulic tank or oil cooler to deal with the heat generated by the higher flow.
So bare minimum, if you score a free engine (12 hp minimum) and get the engine mounted using your own fabrication skills, so all you have to build is a 22 gpm pump and pump mount, you are looking at $300. Also if it came with 3/4 hydraulic hoses (doubt it) so you could simply hook up the lines and start running, you can have a 7.3 second cycle instead of the 11.5 it came with.
$300 for 4.2 seconds is based on very best case scenario. More realistically you should throw in an extra $150 to upgrade your hoses. If you have to buy an engine, add in another $300-$600. Some vendors sell engine and pump log splitter build kits that start at $400 but to get a faster rate you may be looking at $800+ for just the pump and motor. In the end you could spend $1200 to get a 4.2 second faster cycle time.
The real question here is how much are you willing to spend to gain a few seconds per split?

Replace the steel line with the bends in it going the end of the cylinder

The bends help the oil warm up and the inside diameter is just shy of 3/8”

You will have come off the valve with a 90 but go into the cylinder straight
The less 90’s help gain speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most splitters have flow restrictors built into two stage pumps , a couple minutes with a screwdriver and you can increase the flow by roughly 74.8 %.

That’ll take ur cycle down to around 2 seconds...it’ll make a SS seem slow! :rolleyes:

Bah! A faster cycle time restricts the time to take a drink of your favorite splitting beverage of choice!

Most splitters have flow restrictors built into two stage pumps , a couple minutes with a screwdriver and you can increase the flow by roughly 74.8 %.

That’ll take ur cycle down to around 2 seconds...it’ll make a SS seem slow! :rolleyes:

Can you offer some details on these mods?

Cheapest: replace the 4 inch cylinder with 3 .5 inch or even a 3 inch. Lose force, much increase in speed. See my post in fast log splitters. 3 inch, 6 seconds out and back.

Once you start upsizing pumps, motors, valves and hoses, better to buy a whole machine and start over.

If you already have the splitter, then you certainly dont want to spend more money to speed it up. If you want more speed and havnt bought this splitter, then it dont make sense to buy it and then start paying money to speed it up. Just buy what you want to start with, it will be cheaper and a lot less work. With that said, gaining speed without breaking the bank will result in marginable results, but is doable. first thing I would do is turn up the unloading pressure on the 2stage pump. Most of those small pumps kick down into low flow high pressure around 500psi. The little 6.5 hp engine should be able to handle the full flow at around 700psi. This will keep the pump in the high Flow mode a little longer and let it go back into high flow a little faster. I have found my splitter doesnt spend much time in the high pressure mode as most wood will split before the high pressure is needed. It doesnt cost a dime to turn up the kickdown pressure and that is the first thing I would try before spending any money buying other parts. The second thing I would do is install the stroke limiters. If you dont need full stroke, why run the cyl in and out when it aint doing any work. If you need 20 inch of stroke and you have 24in available, you are wasting 8ins of travel time every time you cycle the cyl. Once you have done those two things, faster cycle times are going to get more expensive to achieve. If you havnt already bought the slow splitter, it would be cheaper to just buy a faster splitter than try to upgrade the slow one. Then you can turn the kick down pressure up on the faster machine and add stroke limiters and speed it up even more.

I have an Excel spreadsheet specifically for simple splitter engine/pump/cylinder calcs, but I can't attach it because the .xls is not an allowed file type. Can any of you computer wizards pm me with a way to do it?

Back