How can I restore discolored plastic on my Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess kids today haven't heard of a personal quality called pride of ownership. Beginning at my earliest days I was taught to take care of my possessions so they would last longer, get the job done and also serve as a reflection of you and how much you care about doing the job the right way. Sure, you can just throw your stuff in a heap in a corner of the garage and hope it all turns out OK next time you go to work. Some people do just that, and I suppose it works for them.

Me, as a pastime I like finding chainsaws that have been neglected and bringing them back to respectability. It's like panning for gold or finding a diamond in the rough.

Space, if you like to let your stuff look like junk, feel free. But lay off the lipstick.

Olyeller

LOL you sound like my old man... :cheers:

Well, I agree with your first sentence though IMO it's just a side-effect of growing up around cheap imported junk. Everything's made to be disposable, anymore -why take extra care of a Walmart Poulan if the innards are just going to self-destruct after 50 -100 hours' use anyway?

I believe in taking care of things, but I also believe in using them for what they're meant for. My dad hates getting his truck muddy and has a fit if he gets a scratch on it getting firewood. I don't get it. It's not like it's a show truck, it's a work truck. I'll do everything I can to avoid those things happening in the first place, but if they DO happen I'm not going to panic and get all angry or excited about it.

Also I share your penchant for fixing saws that others have abused or deemed unworthy of fixing. Something redeeming about it.

I am an old man...

... and I'm working hard at becoming a grumpy old man! And while I don't panic and get all angry or excited about it, I also don't like to get my truck scratched up any more than necessary even though it's got 100,000 miles on it and plenty of scratches already. I just like taking care of my things; can't purposely and willfully abuse a machine any more than I'd kick a puppy. I especially enjoy a bond with things mechanical, and I like to make them look good. I'll use them hard like they're meant to be used, but I also enjoy taking care of them.

As another example, even though I get free motorcycle helmets and gear through my work I clean them and make sure not to drop them or scratch them up. I also ride lots of bikes that aren't mine and I ride the living snot out of them, but I never abuse them. Again, that's just me and I guess that's they way I was brought up.

You kids!

Olyeller

C'mon, you know you like them pretty...

attachment.php

Damn! I never realized Mikey was so good looking! :)

Thanks to all for your advice. And by the way, when you have almost a thousand dollars invested in a saw, you want it to look good. And you want other people to admire it... even if it is going to get beat up.

some things were meant to be used.

after my Toyota truck turned over 350,000kms.. I started to now worry about scratches and dents...

there were times I'd have to pull the mirrors in, and use my "jackall" to swing the truck so I could get through some trees.....

found some great hunting trails, and had a camper about as narrow, several times had to "handbomb" it around some trees....

But my rifles I look after.

after my Toyota truck turned over 350,000kms.. I started to now worry about scratches and dents...

there were times I'd have to pull the mirrors in, and use my "jackall" to swing the truck so I could get through some trees.....

found some great hunting trails, and had a camper about as narrow, several times had to "handbomb" it around some trees....

But my rifles I look after.

What, you left the chainsaw at home?!? Bad AS member, Bad!

Saws are made to cut wood, not look pretty. Who cares about a little sun fading? Do you guys put makeup on and wear jewelry when you cut wood too?

I'll agree that the purpose of saws is to cut wood, but I also know that if you look at a clean saw you likely have a saw that is mechanically in good condition because the owner sees the cleanliness as parto f the maintenance of the saw. A saw that never gets clean, may or may not be just as good mechanically, but usually the odds are against it.

I'll agree that the purpose of saws is to cut wood, but I also know that if you look at a clean saw you likely have a saw that is mechanically in good condition because the owner sees the cleanliness as parto f the maintenance of the saw. A saw that never gets clean, may or may not be just as good mechanically, but usually the odds are against it.

i have seen a bunch of very clean looking saws that were JUNK on the inside.:greenchainsaw:

and i have seen some tired and dirty saws that still ran very well.

when i see a too clean old saw for sale my first thought is "is this guy trying to hide something?".

i have seen a bunch of very clean looking saws that were JUNK on the inside.:greenchainsaw:

and i have seen some tired and dirty saws that still ran very well.

when i see a too clean old saw for sale my first thought is "is this guy trying to hide something?".

I agree that it can be suspicious when it's just one saw, but if you see a collection of saws and/or the guy's storage/shop area, and everything is clean, then you are probably in good shape.

Some guys care if their tools look as well as they run. Its called pride of ownership.

I just spent most of the weekend cleaning out and wiping down the tools in my roll-around tool box. Most are Craftsman hand tools (and other makes that have lifetime warranties and get replaced when they tank), but quite a few show signs of years of use while remaining serviceable. None are greasy/dirty though.

Doing the same thing with my detached shop (12 x16) and trying to show a method to my madness. I just have more confidence with my abilities when I maintain the tools of the trade.

Didn't Abraham Lincoln once say if he had six hours to cut wood, he'd spend four of it making sure his axe was sharp? Obviously overkill, but I read that to mean take care of your equipment so that when you need it, the tools work at an optimum level.

P.S. I found a rat's nest at the back of a shelf above my chain saws. I'd seen one rat from time to time scurrying around, but haven't had the trap go off. Well, I touched the junk with a piece of angle iron and the little sucker came out. I had to laugh at myself because I sort of jumped back when he did (like a little girl), but quickly regained my composure and "dispatched him with extreme prejudice". :) I didn't freak out, jump up on a chair or anything; but it wasn't my proudest moment. I'm still laughing about it.

Last edited:
Startled...

P.S. I found a rat's nest at the back of a shelf above my chain saws. I'd seen one rat from time to time scurrying around, but haven't had the trap go off. Well, I touched the junk with a piece of angle iron and the little sucker came out. I had to laugh at myself because I sort of jumped back when he did (like a little girl), but quickly regained my composure and "dispatched him with extreme prejudice". :) I didn't freak out, jump up on a chair or anything; but it wasn't my proudest moment. I'm still laughing about it.

It's not "GurlyMan" to say you were startled.... Not cause it was a rat! Heck even a cat can scare the crap... er I mean startle me!

:cheers:

It's not "GurlyMan" to say you were startled.... Not cause it was a rat! Heck even a cat can scare the crap... er I mean startle me!

:cheers:

I hear ya, but I find ways to laugh at my own stupid stuff sometimes. It's a gift!

Rat didn't seem to notice a difference though... for the 2.5 seconds he lived past that. :) He's still tagged-on-the-toe dead.

a big cat

I've got a scruffy big cat that lives in my garage for now....

keeps every living thing out, or they are lunch.

he's even killed a weasel that made the mistake of entering the garage.

I've got a scruffy big cat that lives in my garage for now....

keeps every living thing out, or they are lunch.

he's even killed a weasel that made the mistake of entering the garage.

I've got a tomcat outside, but the only thing on his mind involves female cats. He'll fight and f&^%, but he's useless for anything else.

Added: if you are just looking for a quick and cheap shine try ATF. there's always some old jug laying around and it works pretty good for a quickie.

I haven't tried ATF, but a wipedown with WD40 will improve the faded look as well, if you only "kinda" care about how it looks. It won't shine, but it does take away the oxidized look.

Latest posts

Back