How close is a husky d009 bar to fitting a poulan 8500?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Considering buying a poulan 8500 as a backup milling saw.

How difficult is it to find a 36 inch bar for one?

Could a husky bar work in it, the slot is the same height? Oiling holes not line up? Other issues?

I could use an axliary oiler on the chainsaw mill and just increase the flow rate if the only issue was the oiler holes?
W|ill it affect the saw at all to run it with out oil the oiler having oil in it as far as the oiler mechanism goes?

Link to husky bar mount pattern
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...54f3341de6d0d70b88256e0e001fda90?OpenDocument

Link to what I believe is the correct bar mount for a poulan 8500
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...c0ac3eaf85163b9c88256e0e001fa1fe?OpenDocument

I also am looking for a guide bar for my Poulan 8500, it was my Grandpa's and I just finished restoring it. Currently I'm running an Oregon 28" bar. Contacted my local Jensen & Pilegard and they were not able to find a guide bar replacement, the biggest they were able to find was I believe a 24". I've contacted Homelite410 but he hasn't made an adapter for the 8500. The bar studs are 3/8" diameter. Is there any brand currently that makes a guide bar to fit on the Poulan 8500 or any way to fit a 36" bar on the Poulan 8500.

I also am looking for a guide bar for my Poulan 8500, it was my Grandpa's and I just finished restoring it. Currently I'm running an Oregon 28" bar. Contacted my local Jensen & Pilegard and they were not able to find a guide bar replacement, the biggest they were able to find was I believe a 24". I've contacted Homelite410 but he hasn't made an adapter for the 8500. The bar studs are 3/8" diameter. Is there any brand currently that makes a guide bar to fit on the Poulan 8500 or any way to fit a 36" bar on the Poulan 8500.

These bars are out there, post a want ad in the trading post, there was a guy that had like 50 of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These bars are out there, post a want ad in the trading post, there was a guy that had like 50 of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll do that and see what I come up with. Thank you.

Got lots of great knowledge from @Homelite410
Passing on the knowledge to @Rosss and others interested.

Oregon D096 and D196 will be a direct mount for the Poulan 8500... Look on eBay

Husky D009 will work if you do a little bit of filing.

Stihl 12mm will work if you use extension springs around the 3/8" diameter bar studs to guide the guide bar of the Stihl bar.

Thanks again to @Homelite410 for all the knowledge!

A D009 is 9.5mm wide the original D196 is 3/8 (10mm) so you don't have to file much at all, I've done it

It's awesome your taking something that was his and make it work again. super cool

I agree... Loved every second of taking that thing apart cleaning it up, replacing fuel lines and filter, and getting it to start up and here it roar after many years of just sitting!

Attachments

• 169A59F4-DCEF-4ACD-A90E-FDDBDC454E7F.jpeg
    169A59F4-DCEF-4ACD-A90E-FDDBDC454E7F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
O yeah full wrap no less! I love those series of saws, I have three 4200s one with bow, and one 5200 (85ccs just like your 8500). They have a tremendous amount of power given there displacement.

O yeah full wrap no less! I love those series of saws, I have three 4200s one with bow, and one 5200 (85ccs just like your 8500). They have a tremendous amount of power given there displacement.

Awesome!

All the old foam wrap was dried out and corroded so it's now wrapped with lizard skin baseball bat grip! I played ball my whole life so it was only fitting to use that!

Rosss, good for you! Please remember to share pics of your 8500 when it arrives. Full wrap, chain brake, half wrap? They are fun and dare I say east to work on. What do I mean by that? Larger parts and easier access for those of us with big fingers and eyes that aren't what they used to be. Good luck, Max.

Back