How did you get into Tree Surgery? (Employment question)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imonshanderson

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm trying to get into tree surgery in my local area, I'm fairly skilled with a CS, but not too clued up on tree health and best practices. I'd really appreciate any comments on how you got established, did you train up first, or learn on the job? (or was it a mix of both)

I've done some CS courses and certificates... I was thinking to approach a bigger local company for a position, is that the best way to gain 'on the job' skills?

I think the main company in my area (Cambridge UK) is Doctor Tree (www.doctortree.co.uk) I know it's fairly unlikely as it's such a wide group but has anyone any experience working with them specifically?

Check into the International Society of Arboriculture.

Look for the certified arborist study guide.

It's full of great information.

Then become a C.A.
Thanks, I suppose there must be a UK specific group as well, I'll have to do some more research I guess.

Quick question though... would you become ISA certified, then find a job, or would you start working in the job, then become certified further down the line?

Get your chainsaw tickets first, nptc is optimum. If you want to become a climber get your ticket before you spend £1000’s on gear, in my experience for every 10 guys saying they are going to become climbers, at least 7 find that they don’t like being up a tree enough to do it daily with a saw hanging off you. My groundie has just done his first nptc ticket and it was about £560 all in with the training, assessment and ppe. That is just for chainsaw maintenance and cross cutting; next comes small/medium tree felling, then climbing and aerial rescue, then climbing with a saw, then rigging etc.
Good way is start as a groundie for a firm with your basic ticket and see where that leads u.
Good luck

The "surgery" part is somewhat overrated as a requirement, most of the time. 99% difficult removals, pruning back overhanging branches, topping (!) for light. Learn how to do a proper branch removal so it doesn't skin the tree, proper collar pruning cut and how different species respond to pruning so you won't kill the tree.

Thanks for all the support guys, that's really great advice. It's tricky to know where to start with these things, and like you say, KarlD, nothing quality in the industry comes cheap...

Latest posts

Back