How do you get help when stuck in remote areas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If your out in the middle of nowhere (forest) and say your truck breaks down…

And you can’t get anyone on the CB and cell phone is out of range, what do you do?

I’ve heard about these emergency locater things hikers use. Anyone know anything about them?

Can you buy them? Expensive?

I’ve checked into satellite cell phones, but those cost a young fortune.

I always tell someone which logging roads I'll be parked on, then tell them if I'm not back by dark send someone to fish out my dead body.

But seriously, thats just one of those things you cant prepare good enough for. I try to have water and some food enough to walk out if my rig breaks down. I think some GPS devices have that locater bit your talking about. Let me know what you find out, cuz I'm in the same boat. I like to go pretty deep in the woods, but I always think about how if I get stuck then I'm as good as dead.

I also figure that if I am way out in the boonies, any problems are -my- problems. Truck dies - walk out. Serious accident it is still up to you to make prior arrangements. Relying on modern technology to save you is transfering the problem to someone else. I do carry a cell-phone but also am sure my wife knows exactly (leaving a map to be sure) where I will be and when I will be home. Overdue for an hour - send someone.

Harry K

I am not a logger, but we do have a patch of timber that I work on, usually alone, it is always on my mind about getting hurt and no one around.

How about carrying one of those air horns around and keep it close by and use it to signal anyone near by. In my area someone would be within ear shot distance and respond if it was sounded enough times. You guys on the west coast get into some pretty remote areas, I don't how this would work, it was just a thought.

Without looking I think Bailey's have them in their catolog or they did anyway.

Larry

So right Turnkey, any time I go "way out" its food, shelter and clothing first on the list and then I will think about things like cell phones or any kind of tools that might help me get out. B. Bob if you are on the west side I'm sure that rain gear is high priority.
Maybe a marine flare gun?
John

Ax-man said:
How about carrying one of those air horns around and keep it close by and use it to signal anyone near by. In my area someone would be within ear shot distance and respond if it was sounded enough times. You guys on the west coast get into some pretty remote areas, I don't how this would work, it was just a thought.
Larry

I was actually thinking about how different things are here than back east. When I'm in the woods, I'm usually an hour's drive from the closest house or telephone. So the chances someone would be within ear shot are slim to nothing. With my old truck, I would sometimes bring my bike because my rig would break down so often. But I only had to ride my bicycle out once.

There was this other time where this mud hole swallowed the front end of my truck (my fault for trying to drive through it) and I spent a half hour trying to get it out before I realized it was getting dark. I was still another 1/2 hour drive from the closest highway, so I started running down the road. Well, that was stupid cuz i ran out of steam really quick and started walking. Probly only 15 minutes had past when some hunters drove by. I felt bad asking them for a ride cuz I was covered in mud, but it was that or spend the night walking.

Like everybody else has said, be prepared. I always take a few extra tool along w/ me just in case. also, when I'm in the hills at my cabin, I never go w/ out my .45 sig. We have had many people break in/tresspass. I would never use it, but you never know when I may come in handy for finding the nearest deer for supper!

Ax-man said:
...How about carrying one of those air horns around and keep it close by and use it to signal anyone near by...

Now that is a good idea. I'll get one. I could blast it. As I recall, for a distress signal, you should sound it... Short, short, short. Long, long, long. Short, short, short?

I found the locator gizmo.

It is called a PLB - "Personal Locator Beacon" with GPS. $549.00 (ouch!)

And this probably would not work if you were under a bunch of tall trees, so would be best to activate it in an open area. (My GPS will not work under trees and has difficulty working if it is snowing or there is heavy rain.)

Here is the link...
http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=5697

Billy, those things are standard equipment on alot of boats especially if your in the ocean, alot of hickers and back country skiers have them too. I've heard of them aiding rescue in avalanche situation so I dont imagine heavy cover would be an issue. I'd look in west marine, almost sure I've seen some priced much more reasonably their, might try hiking or skiing sites as well. If you think ya might need it chances are ya do, $500 bucks for a piece of safety equip you never use is better than dieing in the woods alone.

When I get stuck in remote areas, I always make sure to have the ice chest full of beer. That way when I get stuck, I can just help myself!

golly!

Best thing is letting someone know where you are if you are not back by morning, they will know where to start looking.
If you do not have someone to talk to, there is alway's GPS.

if you activate one of those locators you better be in pretty serious trouble cause the rescue isn`t cheap, the 500$ pricetag for having something that can save your life is nothing though.

ALL new cell phones have GPS built into them. Not the kind you can access, but if you're able to dial 911 they'll have your lat-longs. I still have an older 3watt analog phone installed in my truck. I've never NOT been able to aquire a signal. Five years ago I ripped some muscle in my back, had to be rescued, spent a few days in the hospital(on the Demerol pump!) Took me two hours to crawl the 100 yards or so to the truck. Once there I was ???? glad my phone would reach out and bring help. I couldn't drive, I couldn't even get all the way in the truck.
I have MRE's, water(Scotch) and a gumment issued sleeping bag stashed. Everyday I leave to work my logging show I'm prepared to spend the night. Every faller I know carries a whistle attached to his suspenders. I've known a couple that have had to use the whistle to summon help. One had a big Piss Fir roll on him and pin em' down. Talk about blowing on a freaking whistle! I think they might have heard him in town forty miles away!
Anyway, I'll shut up now. Always go out prepared and if at all possible never alone.

There are the old reliable methods of getting help.

Deck of cards and play solitare - won't be long before someone taps you on the shoulder and says "play the red 6 on the black 7"

Stare fixedly at something in the distance - someone will ask what you are looking at.

Harry K

I agree be prepared bring all you can, but I think another good thing to have is a CB radio with an amp, linear. I know alot of people including myself who have gotten help that way, and gotten out of more than one situation. CB's will get out when cell phones wont, and there is almost always somebody with a cb on. Local fire house, fire watch towers, loggers, truckers, neighbooring ranches. Even if they are not close enough they can relay to get help, ther was never a time when I could not raise somebody on the good ole cb. I did have a 300 watt linear though. It is not legal but if you dont abuse having the amp if would save youre ass one day guarantee.

Back