How do you Get your Firewood out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice trailer, what do you use to get the logs on the trrailer? What length, brand, gvw tailer rating do you use behind that pick up? I'm looking at different options right now to get customers logs out

I use a Bobcat 863 with a grapple bucket to load the trailer.
The trailer has a 16' deck (which is a little short for log's). It has a 14000 lb. gvwr., and is a Texas Pride brand trailer. I don't recomend the Texas pride brand, they look nice, but after I bought it I had to spend about $1200 to get it to where it would haul a load. About the 3rd load I put on it weighed 10000 lbs. and bent both axles. The company didn't care, if I lived in Texas I would make them change their name.

Andy

1-TON018.jpg

FORREST015.jpg

STONEMTWOODLOT044.jpg

STONEMTWOODLOT048.jpg

I have a 500 Ploaris Sportsman, would like to do the same thing with.
How much weight can the trailer hold?
How big is the Quad.
What is the engine mounted on the quad for?

I use my JD350 fitted with Winch and log arch. I try to get my timber out in the winter...No muddy wood and no tearing up the ground cover. I also use my Kodiak atv or the polaris long tracker with the sled.... depending on the situation.

Here's my JD pullin out some timber last year......And that a 365 Husky on board:D

dozer.jpg

Hands down the best way I've found, is with my Bobcat. They will go places a farm tractor will never dream of. Much more versitile than a quad. Can drag logs like a skidder. Plow paths through the snow to get to the wood. Clear all of the branches out of the way after limbing, so you aren't constantly tripping. Etc, etc. They are equally as important as your chainsaw, in my opinion.

farm tractor,drive ten miles to the bush with my 3 point hitch skidding winch and my tandem axle log trailer in tow,heat on tunes cranked, skid my logs out in full length, load them on the trailer and tow them back home, try that with a skid steer.

Last edited:
drive ten miles to the bush with my 3 point hitch skidding winch and my tandem axle log trailer in tow,heat on tunes cranked, skid my logs out in full length, load them on the trailer and tow them back home, try that with a skid steer.

WORD!!!:laugh:

Now that I have the blade hooked up to the Suzuki, I am going to see about using that for pushing the tops into a pile. I have been throwing them in and it takes a lot of work and time. I don't burn anything due to it not being my land but do have to get them off the field before spring planting.

Matt

Also ....

My brother in law has a Bobcat Skid Steer, but for logging out of the woods we tend to use his little Bobcat Excavator with a single grapple attachment along the bucket. This works real well for loading and moving logs throughout the farm. This is a picture of his old one from a few years ago, he has a newer larger model now, same setup.

bobcat.jpg

I get my firewood out the old fashion way, I have my two boys, 11 &13, carry it out. Come to think of it, I split my fire wood the same way as well.

Of course it would be a lot less frustrating if I spent 20K on equipment but, I’d still have to feed and water the kids. This way I do get some work out of them.

I get my firewood out the old fashion way, I have my two boys, 11 &13, carry it out. Come to think of it, I split my fire wood the same way as well.

Of course it would be a lot less frustrating if I spent 20K on equipment but, I’d still have to feed and water the kids. This way I do get some work out of them.

+1 for that! I have my 5 and 7 year old boys helping me load and stack. I hope to get a little more work out of them every year. I think its a great experience for them and will help them understand what work is and what they are capable of. Good for you teaching them about work!

Dok

+1 for that! I have my 5 and 7 year old boys helping me load and stack. I hope to get a little more work out of them every year. I think its a great experience for them and will help them understand what work is and what they are capable of. Good for you teaching them about work!

Dok

+2

I get it from the bush and it is cut into blocks by the time they see it, but my three girls (12, 13, & 15) put it in the wood shed and then move it again to the house.

We use the truck to get it from the wood shed to the garage, but all I do is drive and they do all the work.

I want them to know what work is so that they can: i) do it when they grow up; and/or ii) realize that they don't want to do it and get a good education.

They helped clear some of our land as well. This was good for them as not only did they do some work, but now they are enjoying the benefits of their hard work since we now have proper places to put a swimming pool, badminton net, etc.

My oldest went through a brief period where she was thinking that she wasn't all that crazy about school and wanted to work instead. I explained that, while labor wasn't necessarily a bad thing, without an education she would likely be limited to just that. Then I took her out hauling wood with me. By the end of that day she had decided that she wanted to stay in school. :D

Dok & cjcocn,

You guy are correct, learning about work and now money.

At the end of last years splitting when the cribs were full there was a face cord extra left over. The boys wanted to know if they had to split that as well. I told them yes, but cut them a deal, because they really did good job working the last two days. If they split the wood then they could try and sell it and keep the money. I also reminded them that the wood needs to season for a year so they would have to do the work now but, wouldn’t get paid until next year. Hardwood goes for about $60.00 a face cord around here. They split & stacked the face cord that day.

Over the course of the year I must have had 20 requests for loans or advances on that 60 dollar face cord. No, was the answer. Well they sold that face cord in September.

Now this year the cribs are full and they have a full cord split and stacked for their personal stash. I must say they both have a nice swing with the splitting axe; oak, ash and cherry are no problem. On the larger hard maple rounds, I half them first.

It’s good to get the kids working however, sometimes it’s like herding cats.

Latest posts

Back