How do you replace the oil line on a stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have obviously not worked on many saws lol
I have worked on my share, not near as many as you pro guys. My comment was about how dirty the pump is, was more a response to the fact that the OP removed it, inspected it, and reinstalled it and never cleaned it. My first chore on any saw is to clean it first, then inspect, repair, reinstall and run. I don't know how anyone can possibly properly inspect anything when it's covered in crud.

I have worked on my share, not near as many as you pro guys. My comment was about how dirty the pump is, was more a response to the fact that the OP removed it, inspected it, and reinstalled it and never cleaned it. My first chore on any saw is to clean it first, then inspect, repair, reinstall and run. I don't know how anyone can possibly properly inspect anything when it's covered in crud.

i see what your saying. always better to clean. as long as he got rid of the chunkies it's easier to clean the pump and mounting area with it removed.

you should see what it looked like before i cleaned it

Long time lurker, I have a Stihl 028WB, I bought new 40 years ago not an everyday user .Never had trouble with it till now and bar not getting oil..if I take bar off some comes out thru body..instead it apart everything looks good but not sure how to replace oil line? Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance...
It's been awhile but it looks like yours is one you have to replace through the oil cap hole. Drain the oil, take the cap out and look inside to see if there's a barb to put it on. I may be wrong but that's my best guess. I usually use a long medical hemostat for that kinda stuff...

I 'm going to try this now, so I change it thru the oil tank is that what you mean?
Yep, take off the oil cap and look through the hole with a flashlight and see if you can see it. You'll probably have to use some long needle nose pliers or something like that to remove and replace it. It's not the easiest thing to do but it can be done without much strain...

Back