How does Porting affect the life expectancy of a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgTech4020

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m thinking more and more seriously about having one or two of my chainsaws professionally Ported. What I’m most curious about is how the porting affects the longevity of the saw. In addition how rebuildable is a ported saw once it gets tired?

I don’t mean to in anyway impugn the quality of the work that anybody doing professional port work is doing. I am more or less just curious as to how the saws are holding up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If done properly and within reason, port work shouldnt shorten the life span of a saw noticeably. If a builder goes too far with compression it can be hard on the bottom end. If port shapes (intake especially) arent right it can chew up a piston pretty quick, or snag a ring. Pretty much everybody who does wrk like that will recommend a little more oil in your mix (40:1 or more) to help keep things lubed while the saw is making more power/rpms. Do ur homework.

If porting would make a better saw without affecting its life span, manufacturers would have their specs changed in no time at all... why should they sell lemons?
But a little WRRROOOOMMM is definitely more fun.
Because ported and high compression saws do NOT pass emission standards. Two strokes are dirty for the environment. A stock good running saw and sharp chain is very quick for it's size. Mike

If porting would make a better saw without affecting its life span, manufacturers would have their specs changed in no time at all... why should they sell lemons?

I am hoping for a lot of WRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMM when I get mine next week
Edgar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Porting makes the engine have more response and more performance. I port to increase the flow. With the two stroke engine the faster and sooner the exhaust gasses get out the quicker the intake gasses enter the cylinder. Cleaning up the transfer ports, raising the exhaust port a tad, possibly widening it, we cut 1/8” off the bottom of the piston, plus polishing it all makes a big difference. It all depends on what saw you have. You won’t disappointed. It will run better.

With any two stroke saw your premix ratio I’d the key to longevity. I run my saws a tad richer oil wise than 40-1. The only thing I seen happen with the richer oil mix is my 240sg had the spark arrestor clogged up. I readjusted the carb and that ended that problem.

My son was using his poulan wild thing I bought for him about 30 years ago, it’s still running strong. It gets the 32:1 oil ratio left over from his dirtbike mix. It’s super maxima. The saw eats good.

I don’t like the husky 50:1 premix. I add a tad more husky oil to it.

Manufacturers have to toe the line with EPA stuff as mike mentioned. Do you think a muffler with a catalyst in it that gets hotter than **** is prolonging the life of the engine? Or sending them out from the factory super lean with limiters on carb screws is for performance? They must work around that, and johnny homeowner who wants to run his saw once a year (with last years gas) at 50:1 with a dull chain. Performance is pretty far down the actual list of things manufacturers must do.

Properly ported saws hold up really well, been running them since 1985 in production cutting of timber, pulp and firewood. Have yet to wear out a piston. Each model of saw responds a bit differently as some were choked up from conception while others were hot rods right out of the box, the more choked up saws see the most gains from porting.

I’m already running a 40:1 mix with premium gas. I have a MS362 that has fairly high hours but still runs great. I also have my new MS241 I’ve been considering having ported. I won’t put enough hours on my 201TC to justify having it done. With that said would I see more gains in the MS362C or my MS241C if ported?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a NOW and there is a THEN... regulations used to be laxer (mostly non-present) and even then manufacturers stayed away from maximum or even high performance where stock chainsaws where concerned.

Getting more power out of a stock engine will always lead to more stress on parts like the crankshaft and bearings which in no case will extend the service life span of the tool. Not important for non-pros as the average home user rarely will reach the hours manufacturers promise.

The initial question was: How does Porting affect the life expectancy of a saw?
My answer: It will shorten ist (potential) life span. But who cares?

I’m fairly new to the saw hot rodding world, but I’d be guessing that if porting a saw took as much as 20% of the life in hours away that you’d still get more productivity from it in its useful life span. Productivity in work per hour is worth a lot more than the cost of any saw. I have enough good saws now that if one goes down I have atleast 2 that can fill it’s gap until I get it back going.

I don’t own any saws made in the last 10 years, so I’m not sure if I’d be willing to forgo the warranty on a mtronic saw to mod it or not. I would not hesitate on any of the carbureted pro stihl saws.

I wonder if saws with more power are more dangerous? I started running saws with a JD badged echo500 and worked up to big saws so I’ve never noticed anything with more power feeling dangerous but I guess maybe it could be if a newbie grabbed some hot rod 660 and went to work? I donno I’ve never been a newbie with anything powerful in my hands.

Emissions.

Look at cars... 1960s-early 70s small block Chev "minimal emissions" made quite a bit more power than the same engine in the 80s chaulk full of emissions stuff.
Hell some of the 80s big blocks were not even touching 200hp.

Productivity of a saw is determined mostly by the condition of its bar/chain combo... dullness can be compensated somewhat by an increase in power but power will not replace a sharp chain.
To prove this to myself I made all our firewood for 1 season using a Stihl 017 (a turd, everyone would agree) and it does work as long as the chain cuts. It might be no fun, and 2 cuts might be necessary where 1 will suffice with a larger saw, but it does work.

The initial question was the impact on life expectancy and not performance, emissions or power...

Decades ago Husqvarna sent a few dealers in the USA cylinders n pistons to test on the customers saws. These were ported different. I was one of the testers. I found the 2100 to run smoother and be better on the gas consumption. They wanted there test cylinders/pistons returned. I tried to buy it but they refused.

On a new small Stihl, how about no porting, just timing advance, muffler mod and that's it. Call it done, get most of the gains anyway.

Because ported and high compression saws do NOT pass emission standards. Two strokes are dirty for the environment. A stock good running saw and sharp chain is very quick for it's size. Mike

So what, some drive dragsters, hopped up dirt bikes, cars, ATV, motorcycles, jet skis, go carts, you name it.I don't think a few dirty 2 strokes are doing any harm.

Back