How does Porting affect the life expectancy of a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m fairly new to the saw hot rodding world, but I’d be guessing that if porting a saw took as much as 20% of the life in hours away that you’d still get more productivity from it in its useful life span. Productivity in work per hour is worth a lot more than the cost of any saw. I have enough good saws now that if one goes down I have atleast 2 that can fill it’s gap until I get it back going.

I don’t own any saws made in the last 10 years, so I’m not sure if I’d be willing to forgo the warranty on a mtronic saw to mod it or not. I would not hesitate on any of the carbureted pro stihl saws.

I wonder if saws with more power are more dangerous? I started running saws with a JD badged echo500 and worked up to big saws so I’ve never noticed anything with more power feeling dangerous but I guess maybe it could be if a newbie grabbed some hot rod 660 and went to work? I donno I’ve never been a newbie with anything powerful in my hands.
Most people here are talking ported work saws, hot rod racing saws are a different animal. Reduce squish too much and watch your cylinder blow off of base, seen it. Pushing anything to it's limits will reduce life span of saws, cars, humans and just about anything with mechanical forces.

Running a woods ported saw is well, just more fun, running saws gets to be a bad enough drag so any enhancement makes it just a bit more enjoyable. Woods porting is not done to a high enough level to seriously affect the saws life span. A saw can easily be overdone so its best to seek out information before grinding on one yourself or just send it to a well known porter to have just what you want done to your saw and no more than that. Porters with extensive experience know just what steps are needed to make the gains expected of these saws.Don`t expect a race saw from just a woods port job, a race saw will have a much shorter lifespan.

Back