How high would you climb this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's 5 minutes I'll never get back. Reading this thread was kinda like watching the Kardasian show. Mindless and useless.

And embarrassing to admit to.
Yet you refused to let it end by adding more mindless, useless comments...

Question for all you other climbers about removals. Sorry the picture is poor I had someone take it while I was driving. If the homeowner asked me to remove that pine, how would I go about getting the top safely on the ground? I know up to the last 20 feet of the trunk, I could limb it with the handsaw and drop the branches in a controlled manner. My question is, what is the safest way to get the top 15 feet of the tree safely on the ground? To me, it looks too skinny and too brittle to climb really high. That is a lot of wood to just cut a notch and drop into the yard(and risk it not going the right way). My only thought is to use the pole pruner to take as many branches off over my head as possible(to minimize weight), then cut the top out of it. Is this something you guys would rig? My question is at what trunk diameter do you guys stop climbing for fear of it getting brittle and breaking out? And what is the plan of action for getting the top 15 feet of the tree safely on the ground without damaging anything or getting hurt. I know with a bucket truck this would be easy. I also know that you can either rig sections of the trunk down or do snap cuts so I am pretty comfortable with that. But how to get the top 15 feet out of the tree safely really has me stumped. Let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks for the replies in advance. View attachment 396704
Remove all the branches on the right side of the tree, until all that is remaining is the narrow top 15 feet you are unsure about. Tie in with your climbing line right below the top section. Try and cut as many branches as you feel safe reaching up for with a handsaw (sugoi/ibuki etc) or if u have a long manual pole saw even better. Remove only the limbs on the side opposite of where you are going to pull the top. Remove the weight on the side you will be making your back cut. Get your rigging line up in that cluster of branches at a distance slightly closer to the very top than where you will be making your cut. Make sure your ground guy goes out a good distance with the line more horizontal than vertical so he can pull it out and not down. Make an open face notch for it falls away clean, and try to keep it from hinging/splitting as best you can. Secure yourself to your perch, and tell the groundman to continuously keep steady pressure and pull it off. You will be fine. The top will be light enough to pose any problems. You can tie the top from where u r at of course if you can manage to get working end to come down to you. ome throwline up w/you and use a running bowline to tie your rigging line to the top. You can use a rope snap/hook or carabiner instead of the running bowline if u want. Just attach either u choose to the working end with a buntline, anchor hitch, or double fish knot and clip your biner to the standing part. The groundman can help you pull it up taut. Good Luck, and if u feel uncertain remove yhe right side limbs and come down and think it over. U just need to remove enough weight from the top on the opposite side you want it to fall. No problem. U can take a wedge but it is unneccessary, it looks skinny. When it starts to go shut your saw off immediately. U could perhaps finish the backcut w your handsaw, but that cut needs to be made without pause.

Latest posts

Back