How hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cutting and splitting now in the mid 80's. But I am in the shade and I have a 1/2 gallon jug of Sqwincher zero grape. It's a electrolyte replacement with no sugar. I told my Wife this is the last year of buying tree length wood in the summer. I'll pay more to get it in the early spring and avoid the heat.
Or you could buy this summer and process through the winter?

My log yard is also my access to my wood shed so I cant put a truck load of log length there before boiler season. I think next year I will clear a spot near the log yard to drop some off in the fall. Right now I am backed up with the 30yds of ends and the log length
004.JPG

I try not to cut above 55 30-40 is nice frozen ground and 30 for a high and sunny is best it is just cold enough to wear a sweat shirt and work.

do most of my cutting in Dec, Jan , Feb , Mar and round it up in April

I could cut in Nov but there be hunting to be done.

a neighbor had a tree taken down first week of May he had asked me if I wanted it in March when I said yes so I bucked up a the sections loaded them on the trailer and drove home past the one neighbor in between us. I was able to get the trailer withing 25 feet of the tree. soaking wet.

I have cut a few it eh 90s , no thanks , not by choice any more. I was young and short wood when I did it , or it was a storm damage clean up.

I try not to cut above 55 30-40 is nice frozen ground and 30 for a high and sunny is best it is just cold enough to wear a sweat shirt and work.

do most of my cutting in Dec, Jan , Feb , Mar and round it up in April

I could cut in Nov but there be hunting to be done.

a neighbor had a tree taken down first week of May he had asked me if I wanted it in March when I said yes so I bucked up a the sections loaded them on the trailer and drove home past the one neighbor in between us. I was able to get the trailer withing 25 feet of the tree. soaking wet.

I have cut a few it eh 90s , no thanks , not by choice any more. I was young and short wood when I did it , or it was a storm damage clean up.
Same here, prefer to cut all winter long as opposed to anytime its too warm.

The heatwave is over for now, just waiting for Saturday to get back out there. Think.its gonna be around 85 this weekend

Forecast here for the week end is 88 high humidity Saturday, Sunday 90's and even higher humidty. Heat index for Sunday near 110F.

Al

Its been miserable here this week. I haven't checked the temps, but don't need too to know its hot. Monday I started moving my equipment from my old shop to my new one. 5 trailer loads loaded and 5 trailer loads unloaded. Mistake and didn't take any water on Monday. I had access to water but it was in my brothers barn and I waited to long about going to get some. Almost fell out. I took a cooler with water to have close by Tuesday and Wednesday and took plenty of breaks to rehydrate. One more load and then sweep up and I'll be done. Already told the wife I am going fishing every day next week.

When I first started cutting, I'd cut in the winter too. Hands would get cold and wet and I'd have to contend with the mud. Now I have this new log yard so I only have access when the ground is dry. So I start now in April/May and finish by late June before the Midwest temps get too high. Except for this year. Good stuff at the yard and I need the exercise. Start by 7:00A and end by 9:00A before it gets too hot. Still soaked, though.

Been hitting it hard all summer and spring, one day I split and stacked for 10 hours in 85 degree heat.. Almost all of this years wood is put up and next year's is half done. I cut and split whenever humanly possible because sometimes you ****ing can't. Last few years have been a struggle. Feels good to be above water.

In a perfect world, 25-50 degrees for me. Cut the last couple of weeks on storm blow down with temps in the low 80’s in the shade and that was plenty hot for me.

I have to much dead ash and not enough time. I dropped 8 trees and cut them up in the 95 degree heat with lots of humidity. I'd get about a solid hour of work before I quit. This was after working in the heat all day. Then I'd jump in the little pool that was warmer than the air. Usually I cut in cold weather but in the last year I've been cutting a lot. I went from 2 years ahead to like 5 years ahead and still lots to cut. Cleaning and sharpening saws is worse than the heat.

Hell, it's been to wet here to cut. Been raining almost 5 days now
Yep, here in Central IL, also. Luckily I've got my last load off the trailer and am waiting for the log yard to dry out a little. Maybe next Tue or Wed. Today, though, I can split and stack my last load on my driveway waiting for my yard to dry out so I can haul it down the hill.

Its been miserable here this week. I haven't checked the temps, but don't need too to know its hot. Monday I started moving my equipment from my old shop to my new one. 5 trailer loads loaded and 5 trailer loads unloaded. Mistake and didn't take any water on Monday. I had access to water but it was in my brothers barn and I waited to long about going to get some. Almost fell out. I took a cooler with water to have close by Tuesday and Wednesday and took plenty of breaks to rehydrate. One more load and then sweep up and I'll be done. Already told the wife I am going fishing every day next week.
Yeah heat got me this past sunday fixing my roof. Really have to watch out. Gave me a trip to the ER. Fine now, but scares the heck out of my daughter and wife. Funny part is I felt fine till I passed out, even thought I was drinking enough. Creeps up on you for sure.

Latest posts

Back