How i measure chain cutters. Keeping it equal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I can not remember which thread I promised to show this in so I will start a new one.
I have found that needle nose vice grips works best. I have tried micrometers and calipers and a few other methods but this works best for me. Please whatch and share your methods . Also please leave a like and comment on the vid if you would.

Ha, ha!
Hey CoreyB! In South Africa we call those "Free State Vernier Calipers". Your equivalent in the US would be "Redneck Vernier Calipers". A good shifting spanner (adjustable wrench) would also qualify for that term, and would make a reasonable substitute in your method! Anyway, that's a good, quick way of doing it! And really close enough. Anything that gives you measurement within 1/4 of a millimetre (about 10 thousandths) is perfect.
Thanks for sharing!

I have 2 strips of 16SWG SS 10cm long with a M3 bolt & wing nut the bolt can be tightened up to make movement of the strips difficult the strips are set on the chosen tooth opened out so as the strips lay along the angle of the tooth like a pair of partly open scissors the gap stays as set & can be used to check each tooth could be done with a set of feeler gauges if they have a knurled nut at the pivot end to tighten up

Back