How long did it take you to be able to bid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to make $125 an hour for myself. I bid $100 a day per helper. Hauling, I figure about $75 a load. Of course, accessibility, risk, liability and job difficulty all play a part. I have been around long enough and eaten enough jobs that I can usually look one over and tell what it's worth and what it will go for, usually two different things in this economy.

I was lucky in that my first boss in this business took me on all of his sales calls and taught me what it is worth and how to sell it. That gave me a huge head start. We would set around at night after work and come up with zingers; one line catch phases to sell the job. We would have some good laughs and a lot of fun.

I try to make $125 an hour for myself. I bid $100 a day per helper. Hauling, I figure about $75 a load. Of course, accessibility, risk, liability and job difficulty all play a part. I have been around long enough and eaten enough jobs that I can usually look one over and tell what it's worth and what it will go for, usually two different things in this economy.

I was lucky in that my first boss in this business took me on all of his sales calls and taught me what it is worth and how to sell it. That gave me a huge head start. We would set around at night after work and come up with zingers; one line catch phases to sell the job. We would have some good laughs and a lot of fun.

That is the thing a person could be the best arborist this side of the Pecos but if he is not a great salesman he will suffer.I am not a good salesmen just fair but I have seen great salesmen that could sell a dirty rag for more than a clean one but most of them don't do trees.

Bidding

Bidding has definitely been one of the bigger challenges for me. My biggest problem is that I am too nice and let people talk me into low balling myself. :monkey: You know..."I live on social security" or "I just lost $180,000 in stock market" I am done with listening to this b.s. If they have a nicer house and vehicles than me and are complaining I have no more sympathy! Hell I don't even own a house! :rant: Sorry, just getting a little fired up that I have let people play me in the past.:givebeer:

Cody

Bidding has definitely been one of the bigger challenges for me. My biggest problem is that I am too nice and let people talk me into low balling myself. :monkey: You know..."I live on social security" or "I just lost $180,000 in stock market" I am done with listening to this b.s. If they have a nicer house and vehicles than me and are complaining I have no more sympathy! Hell I don't even own a house! :rant: Sorry, just getting a little fired up that I have let people play me in the past.:givebeer:

Cody

Lol I live on fixed income! answer I understand mam I do too, politicians and overhead have fixed it where I have none :rolleyes:

...what it's worth and what it will go for, usually two different things in this economy.

Those are very true words. Many times we will look at a job and figure how long it will take, look around and think "no way will they go for that". And make necessary adjustments. One thing we never do, is low ball. We offer a quality service at fair prices and that is as good as it gets.

Our survival has been in keeping the overhead low, being honest and fair, and doing good work. You will miss a bid, you will over estimate, under estimate, come out right on the money....for as long as you are doing this type of work.

And Cody, rest assured, being a nice guy will get you call backs. :)

Sylvia

Dave and Sylvia "True Proffessionals"

Those are very true words. Many times we will look at a job and figure how long it will take, look around and think "no way will they go for that". And make necessary adjustments. One thing we never do, is low ball. We offer a quality service at fair prices and that is as good as it gets.

Our survival has been in keeping the overhead low, being honest and fair, and doing good work. You will miss a bid, you will over estimate, under estimate, come out right on the money....for as long as you are doing this type of work.

And Cody, rest assured, being a nice guy will get you call backs. :)

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia,

I am glad that to be acquainted with you and Dave. You guy's don't realize how much you have helped me...You guys are the best!:bowdown:

Cody

Here's the thing, in this economy work is going for less. You have to be able to adjust. If you are bidding a lot of work and not getting the jobs adjust accordingly. If you are getting every job and the customers are not batting an eye at your prices adjust accordingly. Got to be flexible and adapt to market values. Still, you don't want to cheat yourself. I don't know about you but I'm not in it for my health. If I just wanted to make OK money I would find a less hazardous occupation.

That is the thing a person could be the best arborist this side of the Pecos but if he is not a great salesman he will suffer.I am not a good salesmen just fair but I have seen great salesmen that could sell a dirty rag for more than a clean one but most of them don't do trees.

I think this is part of my problem. Not sure what the other part is though :). My neighbor is a salesman for a lawn chemical co. and he could sell a drowning man a drink of water. I tried to get him to sell for me part time but no luck.

I think this is part of my problem. Not sure what the other part is though :). My neighbor is a salesman for a lawn chemical co. and he could sell a drowning man a drink of water. I tried to get him to sell for me part time but no luck.

You are apparently under the misconception that a great salesperson sells things to people that they don't need. (i.e. ice to Eskimos)

Great sales people listen to their clients, and learn to understand what is important to them, so they sell them what they want and need. Sales people who are slick "huckster" types rarely succeed long term.

Thats really something. Thats what im afraid of, sometimes it seems like one is charging quite a bit, but after all the expenses labor, tools, fuel, ect... it really adds up. At what rate do you tree people try to get an hour? I was thinking $200 an hour is about right for a 5 crew man.

Way too cheap if you have a GOOD 5 man crew with equipment!!!!!

It all depend on productivity.

Rope--

I'm curious. Sounds like you know your salesmanship is not up to the level of your treework. Each of us has our strengths and weaknesses. Sounds like you have lots of cheapskate/ illegal competition. How are you working on this? How do plan to compete against this? I have a friend in the similar boat. He knows that he has too much cheap competition after a recent tornado brought in a lot of start ups. He only does removals, so as long as nothing is broken and the whole mess is gone, he is even with everyone else, sorta. Whereas, another guy in town is the supersalesman. He won't use gaffs for removals, all rope climbing. He leaves all the brush and wood, yet gets twice the price as my friend who does full clean-up and maybe grinding.

Again, each of us has our strengths and weaknesses, and our best best is probably to individually work on our weakest links.

An important thing mentioned, but put another way is...

you don't want to get every bid you put out there. You should be getting turned down on some if you are in the right ballpark.

After work is underway and I have established more rapport with the customer, or at the end of the job, I'll ask about other bids, and by whom. This will help you to see the market value in your area.

To track expenses, even if you don't have the time right away, get all receipts for everything. You might put all trackable expenses on each contract when you've finished the job and are putting it in your file. This could be done by having all vehicles/equipment filled each day with fuel. Track damaged equipment on the job. Try to figure out how long chipper blades last (hard to quantify). Track your labor expense, including bookkeeping, taxes, worker's comp,etc.

Figure your insurance, equipment expenses, etc, and divide in days worked per month. Try to include this into your mental bidding process.

Try to estimate (and write it down) how long travel time to a job will be, how long you expect to be onsite from drive up to drive off. Estimate how much brush/ chips/ loads of wood will be per job. After the job is done, compare. This will help you to calibrate.

If you don't have time for these things, think about what you can do to save time. Are there things that your employees should be doing that you do instead. Are you hard enough on them that they come to work fully prepared everyday, with food/ water/ raingear/ enough clothing/ all the ppe you issue/ etc. You can lose valuable time that you could use for management, but may go to hand-holding.

Best of luck.

I dont know if I agree with the "turned down on work" part above?? Area is a huge thing where im at, I can go 1/2 hr away & get 3 times the $$$ than in my own locale.

couple reasons, my area is ex steel mill folks trying to hold on to yesteryear, layoffs are overwhelming & so is the I gotta a pick up n saw attitude!

some of my competition have good work skills but their sales, look and customer approach are terrible! you dont put a wad of mailpouch in, talk like larry the cable guy & spray down the rose bush with spit & hope to get the job!

I put alot of emphasis on sales, approach & such in my slow periods....people want some one knowledgeable with a little intellect in their verbal skills along with a rep. for doing good work! corner this & you got it made!!!

I usually stick to my price but if its over $25, $50 dollars & losing the job I will curb a bit for them, giving the customer your time will greatly help, dont just throw out a bid & leave, compliment them on other landscape things, point things out, etc..

I dont get all i bid but just about 80% give or take, lately Ive been getting the big & ugly.........& ive been charging big n ugly and getting the jobs! your area, ability, reputation and demeanor along with other things will dictate your success...........I lose on a few.....but more than make up for it on many but like others said I still have a lot to learn!!

truthfully I dont think there is a way to rightfully bid.....we have all heard the big companies say "we not making any money" & sure enough down the road one of the other big guns comes in to take over, so if the college grads working for the big Co.`s mess up bidding....whats that tell ya!

good luck!

LXT................

Some days I make 1000 in the morning and 1000 in the afternoon. Alot of times I get almost as much for a trim then what other guys get for a removal. There are a couple of guys that do it part time "weekend warriors" that have no idea how to do any rigging they just cut and chuck. If I know that they bid it I wont bother. They put 500 on it and mine would be 1200, the other pros will be the same as me.

There is this guy that I work for on occassion that just about every job that we get to he looks at the trees and says "they are bigger than I remember them" or something like that. He is constantly losing money.

I just finished a job clearing a bunch of trees most were dead elms nothing to hard. I chipped every thing and dumped a half a block away for free, the logs people came to get for fire wood. I had 9 loads of chips at 4000k lbs each me and my guy had 18 hours on it. I bid it at 2500 it was an all right job another 500-1000 would have been nice too.

Back