How long do you dry your firewood before burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you dry your firewood before burning?

• Total voters
I organised my set up based on two years drying. In our conditions, 1 year is normally enough but two is a bit better. However, I'm now 3 years ahead and it shouldn't be too hard to keep it that way. Should have built a bigger woodshed! So I have 1 year's worth stacked on a tarp (as a barrier from the dirt - I would use pallets but I don't have any) and in a row on the retaining wall uncovered. I also have a couple of cord in my man-shed. Two year's worth in the main woodshed where it keeps nice and warm. Stuff on the tarp and retaining wall will go into the shed during the winter. I work my way along the side of a bay and burn the stuff at the back then start to burn my way forward. Then I can start stacking the stuff on the tarp from the back as winter goes along.

View attachment 643404
I've seen your set up in earlier posts.
I think you have a great thing there. Love that big metal barn. Is it open at the back too?
Your Aussie wood looks very colorful with names I've never heard of (mostly).
Looks like Gum, Box and Ironbark are your densest wood fuels.
Keep the pics coming, love it.

I built a woodshed that holds 9 cords which is two years worth of wood for us. We burned the left side this year, right next year. The wood dries two years before we burn it that way.

IMG_0049_zpsgtzlupcz.jpg
Looks like a good sized lean-to.
So if you use half that in one year, then you'd be burning the next half the next year?
Isn't that one year seasoning per side?
I'm just trying to figure how you said it.

Generally my rule of thumb is one year in full sun and wind, but some species seem to dry faster than other, e.g. black walnut, cherry. Ash is ready in a few months but best if left to dry a year and then it is exceptional. Oak seems to take longer, but I'll check it after a year and if it's still not ready I'll leave it, unless I'm in a pinch. I use the knocking method in conjunction with a moisture meter to check for dryness. Works well enough, I'm not a stickler, but some wood like oak doesn't burn well if not fully dry and creates a buildup creasote in my chimney. All in all, it's a real time laboratory and I'm learning every year.

Looks like a good sized lean-to.
So if you use half that in one year, then you'd be burning the next half the next year?
Isn't that one year seasoning per side?
I'm just trying to figure how you said it.

That's exactly what I do. Burn the left side one year. The following summer refill it. The next year burn the right side.

That's exactly what I do. Burn the left side one year. The following summer refill it. The next year burn the right side.
My system also. I burn from the front of the shed to the back. Each spring, the old wood moves to the front and the newer wood comes in the back. I'm overloaded at the moment and have a bunch in the open...IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2871.JPG

Every time this thread get revived, I want to answer, it depends. It depends on how much I have left over from last year, how cold it is outside, and if I need wood now and I am out. I usually have wood left over each year. I stack it inside a metal carport. I fill it each year and will burn out of one end this year and the other end the next. some of the wood in the middle of the shed has been their more than two or three years. I will be buring that wood this next winter as I have my house for sale and am not stockpileing a whole lot of wood. I have rounds that have been laying in a pile for over a year, I will be splitting to help make it thru next winter, and I got a load of logs a month ago that will have to be processed. Between what in the shed and what has to be processed, I should make it thru next winter. My wood will be a mix of well seasoned, almost seasoned and a little dryer than fresh cut. If the house sales, well I wont need any wood as I build a new house. New house plans call for a smaller, more energy efficient, foot print as I try to cut way down on the amount of wood, as well as electricity, I use each year.
and as you already are ware of,,,,,,,power co;s are jackasses....less you let THEM build wind turbines on your property...what a racket,,,,,

I would love the luxury of 2-3 years but rarely get it and at best, have to make do with just 1 year. 1.5 years is a luxury that I sometimes get.

I split small so it dries fast. Typically especially the last few years I split in spring and burn it the same year. I bring it all inside at the beginning of winter and it continues to dry in the house with the stove keeping it warm.

That’s how I burned this past winter. I also cut enough extra that is still stacked and drying, that will get burned this next winter. Right now I am splitting wood for 2 years down the road but it takes up a lot of space, you have to get creative.
47ccb2fbd0552a705d8c509c9a21a102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to cut in the winter and let it sit 2 summers. I'd call that 2 years. Now I'm cutting so much that I'm 3 years or more out. I have noticed the rows further back in the wood shed are dryer and the last row is like 5 years old. That's that reserve row I hope I never get to.

I split small so it dries fast. Typically especially the last few years I split in spring and burn it the same year. I bring it all inside at the beginning of winter and it continues to dry in the house with the stove keeping it warm.

I too try to split as small as possible.

I cut this past winter late December January Febuary and March. I am burning some March cut stuff right now standing dead with bark falling off.
Normally however I will burn what was cut this winter come fall.
I have been cutting dead standing Ash for years now but am finally getting it all down.

:D Al

From previous threads advise mostly from c5rulz I've been splitting smaller and pulling bark where possible. I'm completely out again praying whatever I do gets it dry for next season. Going to focus on fast drying species, cherry, locust, boxelder, pine and maple getting those on the burn racks and getting the slow drying species like oak and walnut split and at least on pallets.

Latest posts

Back