How long should I drag brush?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand, don't get complacent, don't take short cuts. Mother nature is a self sufficient killer.

How long should you drag? Until the job's done. I'm not of the school where the climber doesn't drag brush. Everybody works till the job is done. No prima donnas allowed.
My jobs done when i get down and stay away from donna lol shes mine:muscle:It however depends on whats going on up in the tree and down on the ground, if the groundie has been working i'll jump in, if he has had it made in the shade time for him to make his keep!

I'm new to the commercial tree world and I'm wondering how long I should drag brush. My climber is more than willing to teach me to climb but I know I don't deserve that yet, I still need some more work on the ground. I'm not trying to jump to the top, I want to take my time and earn it, but at the same time, I don't want to drag brush for a career. Is there an average number of seasons before I should step into the spurs for the first time?

i was groundie lacky for about 6 full time months, i did not touch a saw just fueled n fixed them but i was given suitable to trees to climb with hand saws and skill up my climbing striping limbs before one day i was given a 020

I'm new to this forum but it thought my input might help. I worked for two utility tree companies, not saying any names but they're well known, for a total of about 6 years before going residential and I've always thought that everyone has something to teach you. Even if its what NOT to do. Most importantly, just be observant and always speak up/ask questions. It sucks being new and at times it can be frustrating but, if you have good people around you, they're only looking out for you.

Thanks for your input Warren. The only thing frustrating is the bidding. Our bidder was never a tree guy and it constantly makes us kill ourselves trying to stay in our profit margin. Other than that I love everything about it. Oh, and yellow jackets, I hate yellow jackets.

I do see a few things that I will do differently as I progress. I really do have a good crew except one groundie but hopefully he won't be there long. I'm not shy to ask questions and my climber and foreman are more than happy to answer them. I just ordered the tree climbers companion and have been working on knots. I get better every day.

Scott if you've got guys willing to teach, take advantage of it and learn all you can. Also there's no shame in backing away from something you don't feel ready for.
I've been told that The Fundamentals of General Treework is another good book. Somebody correct me if I got the title wrong. It's by Gerald Baranek.

Sorry to hear your shoulder is causing so many issues Jollylogger. Hope the tower thing works out for you.

Scott if you've got guys willing to teach, take advantage of it and learn all you can. Also there's no shame in backing away from something you don't feel ready for.
I've been told that The Fundamentals of General Treework is another good book. Somebody correct me if I got the title wrong. It's by Gerald Baranek.

Sorry to hear your shoulder is causing so many issues Jollylogger. Hope the tower thing works out for you.
Thanks, that's another book I'm going to get, Jerry has a few books that are supposed to be awesome.

If your climber is calling you a brush humper, than you have probably dragged brush too long.
Climbing is not only stupid, it's dangerous.

I like climbing personally. It gives you a unique perspective on tree work as a whole. I wouldn't recommend climbing for eveyone but I wouldn't call it "stupid".

I understand that completely. We both have our own job to do. I try my best to keep the brush clear. As soon as my climber hangs his saw I'm down there and out.

IMG_20150617_113826.jpg IMG_20150617_113832.jpg This is the view from about 105" up in a 115" White Pine. I was installing a line so my groundmen could pull the top over as I cut. As any climber can tell you, there's nothing like the feeling of dropping 30" of top out of a tree like that.

View attachment 437964 View attachment 437962 This is the view from about 105" up in a 115" White Pine. I was installing a line so my groundmen could pull the top over as I cut. As any climber can tell you, there's nothing like the feeling of dropping 30" of top out of a tree like that.
I'm ready man. My climber comes back from vacation Monday, hopefully I get in a tree this week.

Latest posts

Back