How long to dig out a stump.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Too many houses in area now, 50 years ago I could buy a stick of dynamite at a time and blow stumps, now have to dig.

Back yard (2 acres) was a DFir grove, lots of 5 ft DBH trees (took me 2 days on one of those with only a D2 with blade) .

The biggest stump (114 years since logged) has the spring board notches 7 feet up, some still visible, am guessing was over 12 ft dia at 10 ft up where it was cut. .

So how long do you think it will take me to dig that stump out?
Only have a Ford 4500 with backhoe, bobcat 853 backhoe, and JD440 loader for machines.

One other biggie is what appear to be 2 originally 6 ft dia DF that grew together, 18 ft from outer edge to outer edge. Had to dig out one root years ago, root was 20 in dia. Probably 10 more like that.

Yes remember your area well and the old growth fir and some locus. Yes you can dig out the son of a guns if you want, but takes quite a bit of work., One option is burn, cut it to grade and pour acid on it or chip it. If you are going to dig it do not cut the top down down as you need all the leverage you can get. They come out easier if they have a very heavy set of cables pulling with some tension. Thanks

Too many houses in area now, 50 years ago I could buy a stick of dynamite at a time and blow stumps, now have to dig.

Back yard (2 acres) was a DFir grove, lots of 5 ft DBH trees (took me 2 days on one of those with only a D2 with blade) .

The biggest stump (114 years since logged) has the spring board notches 7 feet up, some still visible, am guessing was over 12 ft dia at 10 ft up where it was cut. .

So how long do you think it will take me to dig that stump out?
Only have a Ford 4500 with backhoe, bobcat 853 backhoe, and JD440 loader for machines.

One other biggie is what appear to be 2 originally 6 ft dia DF that grew together, 18 ft from outer edge to outer edge. Had to dig out one root years ago, root was 20 in dia. Probably 10 more like that.

dunno 114 year old maybe give it a push see if it wobbles,,, the root mass is likely very decayed by now.. A bigger issue is what to do with trunk stump if you do get it over

is likely very decayed by now

There is zero rot on DFir roots, If it were hemlock it would already be gone like you say, Cottonwood - there wold be no trace at all.

I did saw off one 4 ft DF stump close to the ground, 400 year old, th outer 6 inches was rotten, center still solid.

Hear tell some carvers value the big root sections, maybe I should look on ebay to se if I can sell some chunks?

Did try to use a 6 pully wire rope setup with a 12,000# winch betweed 2 4 ft stubs. did not even budge, left tension on over a whole wet winter .

Back