How long to wait on steady work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now using Mail List (V 4.0.1.0) by Avanquest. It seems to be a keeper, for now. I like the way I can now sort by zip code. When I'm going to be in a given area, I can now call everyone in that area and see what they may need.

If it works keep it. I am using one called Mailing List Deluxe (I think that is name).. not sure who makes it.

I also have a scheduling program - it is really designed for the lawn mowing side of my business - but also does dual duty for tree side (as there is more software on lawn side it seems!)

I like doing it to ,i also do taxidermy / trapping ,hunting, fishing,and some metal detecting , yes really.
What do you do the rest of the time.. I love the work.

Now I must admit some time is spent working on the equipment, cleaning it.. changing oil, etc.. but for the most part it and I are in the field working.

I am not on here much , but it didnt take me long to see who think that they are god on here ,around here it's called making a living, if the guy needs to door knock , it dose'nt bother me, i have though about it if im in the area that need some work done, i am happy if i work 2-3 days a week , who wants to work 5 days a week every week any way, not me. i am not over my head indebt like most , the weather is the only problem now, i have work to do , yes my help would like to work more and i do thank of him , like most there is the slow time's, we all must make the best of it .

i don't see that at all, please specify

i don't see that at all, please specify

He had that aimed at me I guess. Around AS, You can't talk about how to be professional in this industry without some folks claiming you think you are some kind of a king or some nonsense. This door-knockity tree gypsy two day a weeker comes with this line about me thinking I am God just because I denounce practices that are viewed as unprofessional in this industry today.

We had a real nasty home invasion thing go down here a while back in which a mother and her two daughters were killed. The father was also badly beaten, but the poor bastard survived. They got the two scumbags...but as far as the door knocking thing goes around these parts - not so much after that. I'll just wait for the phone to ring.

I'll just wait for the phone to ring.

Me too. One of these days one of these door knocking "tree guys" around my area is going to end up scaring a homeowner and getting shot. Last year one got his ass chewed all to pieces by a dog. The dog actually bit his balls off. Another one was pretty lucky a couple years ago (he was an illegal alien trying to solicit mowing) when he thought he heard someone say "come in", walked in and got smashed over the head with a heavy vase by the lady of the house. He spent a few days in the hospital over that deal.

We had a real nasty home invasion thing go down here a while back in which a mother and her two daughters were killed. The father was also badly beaten, but the poor bastard survived. They got the two scumbags...but as far as the door knocking thing goes around these parts - not so much after that. I'll just wait for the phone to ring.

I've pondered door knocking before and have done some too. My dad has a business in which he's owned for 20yrs. We discuss this stuff from time to time. All of his work is word of mouth no advertising. He explained that he never had good luck with door knocking.

I get extremely nervous approaching people houses to door knock or leave flyers. For one you enchroaching and trespassing. If someone answers the door i feel really desperate and propbably wont make a sale even if they have money to spend on treework. Making sales is about confidence and it's a hole different story when someone calls you.

I've pondered door knocking before and have done some too. My dad has a business in which he's owned for 20yrs. We discuss this stuff from time to time. All of his work is word of mouth no advertising. He explained that he never had good luck with door knocking.

I get extremely nervous approaching people houses to door knock or leave flyers. For one you enchroaching and trespassing. If someone answers the door i feel really desperate and propbably wont make a sale even if they have money to spend on treework. Making sales is about confidence and it's a hole different story when someone calls you.

Agreed. I sort of tried the door knocking/door hanger thing a little, way back when I first started. It wasnt a matter of a couple weeks later that the local paper published an article about fraudulent "treeguys" running around door knocking. If I remember correctly they would take deposits, and of course never show up. Thankfully that article saved me from further embarrassing myself and that was the end of that for me.

Me too. One of these days one of these door knocking "tree guys" around my area is going to end up scaring a homeowner and getting shot. Last year one got his ass chewed all to pieces by a dog. The dog actually bit his balls off. Another one was pretty lucky a couple years ago (he was an illegal alien trying to solicit mowing) when he thought he heard someone say "come in", walked in and got smashed over the head with a heavy vase by the lady of the house. He spent a few days in the hospital over that deal.

In TX.that is very likely to happen.people there take there home defense very seriosly. GB George Bush.:rock:

Round here only gypsies go door to door tryin to get work, but whatever works for ya...I personally wouldnt take to well if Im in the middle of a football game half lit on some" captain morgan " and someone knocks on my door to ask about trimming my trees lol I probably might get a little redneck

It wasnt a matter of a couple weeks later that the local paper published an article about fraudulent "treeguys" running around door knocking.

Our paper just ran a similar article about door knocking tree trimmers. There was a good one in the Houston paper a few years back. Man, that one really made them out to be what they are.

Our paper just ran a similar article about door knocking tree trimmers. There was a good one in the Houston paper a few years back. Man, that one really made them out to be what they are.

I think I saw something on the news my first year in business similar to that. I was only in my first year and door knocking was actually a pondering thought then I saw the news. I was like great way to ruin it for the rest of us. I would of felt embarassed door knocking after that.

I think door to door sales went out a long time ago, yes it was packed with creeps and frauds.
Now if you are working at a house and take time to leave a flyer or something around I don't see what is so horrid about that. I mean lots of times when I am working people just come up to me and ask for an estimate. I figure its a two way street, it has to be, it just has to.
I don't see anything wrong with putting out flyers either.

I'm slow right now, and this hasn't been a banner year by far.

I've seen guys do the door knocking thing, or the most strange by far, is they will be driving by and see a person outside working in their yard... just stop the truck, get out and start talking with them about tree work that they need. These are ideas I don't condone.

On the other hand, I have been working at 1 house, and go to the neighbors to introduce myself... it works for me, but lately for some reason I have been slacking of on it, and I know that's a part of the reason why my phone is kind of quiet.

there is one company I know that goes door to door. Its a non-profit agency for clean air. They have a permit to do so and contact the police to tell them what area they are in. One day I had a kid sitting out on my curb waiting for a ride inthe rain for an hour.
When I was in school in AZ I had a door to door job. It was a water quality survey for a company that sold water conditioners. It paid very little of course, we all got the shaft when the salesmen screwed us. Now they were shysters.
But that is America, get a foot in the door, pitch the sale, sell the pitch and move on taking no prisoners. I shouldn't say just America, its everywhere, its business.

It takes awhile for steady work year round, advertisement is key....along with a professional approach, customer relations is key, you will get more with sugar than with ****....so above all be nice!

I was told that if you go in debt you better make 3 times the amount you financed a year, I see guys my way buying new dump trucks & chippers spending 50-60k, winter comes then their selling stuff off!

Dont door knock, putting out fliers or professional formaids is different, ie; door hangers, promo offers, coupons, PHC guidesheets & similar! But to physically knock & sell..........NO!.

Be patient...time & a good work rep will do you best!!

LXT............

Latest posts

Back