How long to wait on steady work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes awhile for steady work year round, advertisement is key....along with a professional approach, customer relations is key, you will get more with sugar than with ****....so above all be nice!

I was told that if you go in debt you better make 3 times the amount you financed a year, I see guys my way buying new dump trucks & chippers spending 50-60k, winter comes then their selling stuff off!

Dont door knock, putting out fliers or professional formaids is different, ie; door hangers, promo offers, coupons, PHC guidesheets & similar! But to physically knock & sell..........NO!.

Be patient...time & a good work rep will do you best!!

LXT............
This country was half built by door to door salesmen believe it or not. Not that I condone it myself.

It takes awhile for steady work year round, advertisement is key....along with a professional approach, customer relations is key, you will get more with sugar than with ****....so above all be nice!

I was told that if you go in debt you better make 3 times the amount you financed a year, I see guys my way buying new dump trucks & chippers spending 50-60k, winter comes then their selling stuff off!

Dont door knock, putting out fliers or professional formaids is different, ie; door hangers, promo offers, coupons, PHC guidesheets & similar! But to physically knock & sell..........NO!.

Be patient...time & a good work rep will do you best!!

LXT............

Littering is ok but talking to somebody is bad, got it.

Ya know after reading all this,to door knock not to door knock.
Do whatever works best for your situation. After all no one on here WILL be paying your bills.I don't condone it but if I had to pay the bills I believe I could sell enough to make it.Regardless of what the perception is.what the hell I will go some where I am not known.
and that probably ain,t to far.

Speaking of liter in my mailbox

inspaper.jpg

See? They used my name without my permission in thier advertising. I am pretty pissed about that. Do you guys think I can sue? There is my name right alongside thier name.

Last edited:
I'm slow right now, and this hasn't been a banner year by far.

I've seen guys do the door knocking thing, or the most strange by far, is they will be driving by and see a person outside working in their yard... just stop the truck, get out and start talking with them about tree work that they need. These are ideas I don't condone.

On the other hand, I have been working at 1 house, and go to the neighbors to introduce myself... it works for me, but lately for some reason I have been slacking of on it, and I know that's a part of the reason why my phone is kind of quiet.

I guess I'll weigh in, here. I have no problem with hanging flyers when times are tough. I will not do a blanket flyer campaign in a given area, though. Rather, I will find those homes where the trees are in serious need of work and then drop off a "Sorry We Missed You" hanger that contains a proposal to do the listed work. When it comes to door knocking, I will only do it if my crew is across the street, next door, etc., and the prospective client, whom I can see needs some work done, can see what we're doing for their neighbor. I don't like having my door knocked on by those soliciting my business, out of nowhere, so I try to treat others as I want to be treated. That means I won't do a blanket door knocking campaign, ever.

Littering is ok but talking to somebody is bad, got it.

No, it's not OK either. Door to door solicitation, littering someones neighborhood with a bunch of fliers that blow off what it was put on three seconds after it was put there and then blows around the yard, tacky(and all of them are) door hangers and anything else that puts you on that person's property when your ass is uninvited and makes you basically a trespasser are all off limits. It is against the law to stuff your cards and fliers in their mailbox also. If you want to market your business to people that aren't contacting you, use the mail.

I haven't heard much talk about internet websites in this thread. I have been pondering notion of a website. You guys that have websites do you see much return on them? Is their certain things to consider when having a website built like the number of hits you will receive and costs of making the site?

I haven't heard much talk about internet websites in this thread. I have been pondering notion of a website. You guys that have websites do you see much return on them? Is their certain things to consider when having a website built like the number of hits you will receive and costs of making the site?

I am interested in hearing this as well. What works and what does not. Frankly our website does not work, but was waiting to see if something different may. How does a website work, what makes it work, and how do you get users to find it.

My web site gets me a good deal of business. I can put its URL on signs, cards, small ads, etc. and it takes it from there.

You can build your own site with any of the programs out there designed to make it easy for you to do so. While my site is pretty bare basic, it gets the job done and didn't cost me a cent to put together.

I could pay Google a lot more to move it up the list on its paid ad hits, but I haven't felt the need.

My web site gets me a good deal of business. I can put its URL on signs, cards, small ads, etc. and it takes it from there.

You can build your own site with any of the programs out there designed to make it easy for you to do so. While my site is pretty bare basic, it gets the job done and didn't cost me a cent to put together.

I could pay Google a lot more to move it up the list on its paid ad hits, but I haven't felt the need.

Websites are a great idea there are a ton of good free tools out there if you have any computer skills at all. I use pretty advanced stuff adobe creative suite master collection which runs about $2500

but in the past I used something called webeasy 6.0 which was a free download, its pretty easy to use you can still get it here I believe.

http://www.brothersoft.com/web-easy-express-46903.html

I am one of maybe 2-3 services who has a website, in my area its not a needed thing, lots of seniors who still read the newspaper & this is the majority of my demographic.

My website does ok, brings me in biz from further than I would like to travel but... it pays to good to pass up! also its nice telling people check out my website for coupon offers, references, testimonials, etc...

something I do every now & then is to go to many of the ritzy local neighborhoods & meet the paper delivery person, (adult or teenager), once a week paper or everyday delivery & make a deal with them, I pay them to put my promo`s in the paper & deliver it!........for $25 I have not yet had one refusal, But have made thousands in return! I also make it a point to send them a little extra here n there & at the holiday season!

LXT...................

I am one of maybe 2-3 services who has a website, in my area its not a needed thing, lots of seniors who still read the newspaper & this is the majority of my demographic.

My website does ok, brings me in biz from further than I would like to travel but... it pays to good to pass up! also its nice telling people check out my website for coupon offers, references, testimonials, etc...

something I do every now & then is to go to many of the ritzy local neighborhoods & meet the paper delivery person, (adult or teenager), once a week paper or everyday delivery & make a deal with them, I pay them to put my promo`s in the paper & deliver it!........for $25 I have not yet had one refusal, But have made thousands in return! I also make it a point to send them a little extra here n there & at the holiday season!

LXT...................

OOOOOO, I'm tellin!

No, that is using your noodle. Where did you go? The Rodney Dangerfield School of Business?:cheers:

OOOOOO, I'm tellin!

No, that is using your noodle. Where did you go? The Rodney Dangerfield School of Business?:cheers:

LOL, I know it sounds un-orthodox, but it works unbeleivably well & it gives the paperboy/girl a little extra!

Its kinda funny right around x-mas they`ll call me & see if I want to have them put promo`s in the paper.....they love the extra cash!

LXT.................

Trespassing Law

I know in Michigan this is what the law says, I'm sure other states are similar.

"Criminal trespass law is enforced by police, sheriffs, or park rangers. Civil trespass requires that the landowner initiate a private enforcement action in court to collect any damages for which the trespasser may be responsible, regardless of whether a crime has been committed. Traditionally, for either type of trespass, some level of intent is required. Thus, the trespasser must not simply unwittingly traverse another's land but must knowingly go onto the property without permission. Knowledge may be inferred when the owner tells the trespasser not to go on the land, when the land is fenced, or when a "no trespassing" sign in posted. A trespasser would probably not be prosecuted if the land was open, the trespasser's conduct did not substantially interfere with the owner's use of the property, and the trespasser left immediately on request."

Basically, it's not really prosecutable, if the owner tells you to leave, and you do, or if there isn't a sign saying not to. Sadly, just because I'm on someone's property, does not mean I'm trespassing.
Not looking for a debate, just clearing up a misconception.

God Bless.

Jeff

Boy, In Michigan you could really jam certain religious groups, I have the Jehovah nitwits (no offense) put fliers on my door every other week!

If I'm home when they stop I'm cordial to em, but after 15yrs.....you would think they would give up!!

LXT...............

Back