How long to wait on steady work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, In Michigan you could really jam certain religious groups, I have the Jehovah nitwits (no offense) put fliers on my door every other week!

If I'm home when they stop I'm cordial to em, but after 15yrs.....you would think they would give up!!

LXT...............

I have the perfect way to get rid of those jehovahs, come to the door dressed in a charles manson t-shirt and a baseball cap with an upsidedown pentagram on it. That will send them running quick.:jawdrop:

:agree2: LMFAO.....that would send the one lil ole lady into a coma!

:cheers:

LXT..........

While my site is pretty bare basic, it gets the job done and didn't cost me a cent to put together.

I used to have a site until a customer that designs sites made me feel so ashamed of my page that I took it down upon his recommendation. I'm going to get one back up in 2010. Here is the thing about websites and this comes from a guy that has built them for fortune 500 companies "Your website gives potential clients an instant perception of you and your company. There are thousands of sites out there that suck and the average Joe doesn't realize how bad his web page is. The first thing the customer sees, the first thing, they instantly start to form a conscious and unconscious opinion of you. If your site is just plain bad, and man, there are a hundred ways to mess one up, you are better off with just a '"store front" type page or not one at all." He showed me all the mistakes that I made in my site and told me "See, I know you, you worked for me before I ever had a look at that website. If I didn't know you, and the only thing I had to go by to form my opinion of your company was that website, I'm going to say I probably would never have called you."

I know in Michigan this is what the law says, I'm sure other states are similar.

Basically, it's not really prosecutable, Sadly, just because I'm on someone's property, does not mean I'm trespassing.

Don't get too sure. They can and do prosecute people in Texas for being on someone's property. If you walk up into someone's yard, and you know you are on their property and can't prove you have reason to be there (and reason can't be you are trying to sell something) you run the risk of all sorts of things happening to you around here.

Last edited:
Don't get to sure. They can and do prosecute people in Texas for being on someone's property. If you walk up into someone's yard, and you know you are on their property and can't prove you have reason to be there (and reason can't be you are trying to sell something) you run the risk of all sorts of things happening to you around here.

AHHHAHHH! God Bless Texas. Man I miss that place sometimes.
Then again you can get good mesican food anywhere. Almost.:angry:

I used to have a site until a customer that designs sites made me feel so ashamed of my page that I took it down upon his recommendation. I'm going to get one back up in 2010. Here is the thing about websites and this comes from a guy that has built them for fortune 500 companies "Your website gives potential clients an instant perception of you and your company. There are thousands of sites out there that suck and the average Joe doesn't realize how bad his web page is. The first thing the customer sees, the first thing, they instantly start to form a conscious and unconscious opinion of you. If your site is just plain bad, and man, there are a hundred ways to mess one up, you are better off with just a '"store front" type page or not one at all." He showed me all the mistakes that I made in my site and told me "See, I know you, you worked for me before I ever had a look at that website. If I didn't know you, and the only thing I had to go by to form my opinion of your company was that website, I'm going to say I probably would never have called you."

I had the same high-tech, designer types, telling me how bad my last (tattoo) site was. I told them all to piss off. Then my old site was voted one of the "100 Best in Texas" sites by Texas Monthly magazine, and you know they are pretty well-regarded down here. I don't go in for all of the bells and whistles. I just tell it like it is on my current site, which I lifted directly from my old site. Yeah, my color scheme is a bit cheesy, and maybe it's a little rough on the eyes, but I doubt, strongly, that I would get more business by tweaking it. I am not planning on changing it until I am ready to do it myself, and I don't have the time or inclination to do so, right now.

I had the same high-tech, designer types, telling me how bad my last (tattoo) site was. I told them all to piss off. Then my old site was voted one of the "100 Best in Texas" sites by Texas Monthly magazine, and you know they are pretty well-regarded down here. I don't go in for all of the bells and whistles. I just tell it like it is on my current site, which I lifted directly from my old site. Yeah, my color scheme is a bit cheesy, and maybe it's a little rough on the eyes, but I doubt, strongly, that I would get more business by tweaking it. I am not planning on changing it until I am ready to do it myself, and I don't have the time or inclination to do so, right now.

I'm sure you competitors appreciate you doing your page in Davey colours

I have the perfect way to get rid of those jehovahs, come to the door dressed in a charles manson t-shirt and a baseball cap with an upsidedown pentagram on it. That will send them running quick.:jawdrop:

I just listen to their speach at the door, tell them to "go to hell" and close the door.

Hasn't been a return for many years. :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't get too sure. They can and do prosecute people in Texas for being on someone's property. If you walk up into someone's yard, and you know you are on their property and can't prove you have reason to be there (and reason can't be you are trying to sell something) you run the risk of all sorts of things happening to you around here.

Heck, in Texas you can fatally shoot someone who is trying to break into your neighbors house and they wont file charges in some cases. If I am wrong about that please let me know.

Web page designers are like any other Biz, I agree on not needing all the bells & whistles, truth is each designer thinks their the best & they know how to market better(sounds like us tree guys).

I have had many people compliment me on my site & even more compliment me on just having a site!! very few tree services here have websites, you can count them on 1 hand.......however you would need several hands to count all the tree services!

As long as it makes you more money than it cost you!!!

LXT.....................

Heck, in Texas you can fatally shoot someone who is trying to break into your neighbors house and they wont file charges in some cases. If I am wrong about that please let me know.

You are pretty much right. There is town close to me here called Gun Barrel City. Their motto is "We shoot straight with you." Some years ago we had wide spread tornadoes through here and tree folks came in from every where. I remember one guy from somewhere up north was poking around trying to get an old man to the door to ask him about a broken branch when the old dude took a pot shot at him. The guy was telling me about it and said "That damn sign needs to say "we shoot straight at you" not "we shoot straight with you."

truth is each designer thinks their the best & they know how to market better

That's true to a point but they all agree on some proven fundamentals for the site to make it a selling site and not just another information site.

That's true to a point but they all agree on some proven fundamentals for the site to make it a selling site and not just another information site.

In the tree realm you are providing information!! we`re selling our service! which the website is just basically a resume for us, Now in retail I could understand marketing strategies & different page styles.......selling tree work through websites "only"...doesnt work!!, people want to meet you, know about you & basically see if you`re the type of person they want on their property, way different & unlike selling a product!

honestly the proven fundamentals of marketing are the simplest ones & those who think outside the "fundamental" box will spark interest & do better! I have not met one website designer who could sell my service better than me!

they`re are just the catalyst to promote my image, ideas, exp., etc... thats it, if I was computer savy I wouldnt need a web designer! JMHO

LXT...................

Websites only $25 per year!

Having website can be a huge advantage for your company. For example If you google 'my town and tree service', i will come up number one in the results now. Websites dont have to be expensive or complicated. I have used this company for 5 or 6 years now and they only charge $25 per year for a website and you get free web hosting! No banner ads or popups either.. Once you have a website with them they will occasionally send you offers to get additional websites for only 6.95 per year!
In the last couple of years alot of people have started using the internet to find businesses instead of using the phonebook. I get at least a couple of jobs each month from my website.
I wouldnt tell yall about this company if i didnt use them myself and know that its the real deal.
If you use this link you can get the website for only $25 per year total cost, no BS! :cheers:
http://affiliate.doteasy.com/index.cfm?M=red&B=3&T=185477&A=woodchux

honestly the proven fundamentals of marketing are the simplest ones & those who think outside the "fundamental" box will spark interest & do better!

Actually that was one of the fundamentals I was referring to. Thinking outside the box with the site design. Sometimes you start acting like a blockhead. So your site is your resume. Good deal.

Speaking of economy woes....the Burlington, Wis. Liars Club bestowed its highest award Wed for this line...

"I just realized how bad the economy really is. I recently bought a toaster oven and, as a complimentary gift, I was given a bank."

The quip earned Larry Legro of Sun Prarie, Wis., the dubious-but serious- distinction of being the year's World Champion Liar.

"I was ecstatic," said Legro, 58 a state health inspector. "I told people all year I was planning to win the contest."

His wife rolled her eyes when told of his win.

Latest posts

Back