How many Chainsaws do you own?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was sure it would be over 50. But, this week end, messing with the new shelves, I only counted 30 in the garage, I have 4 downstairs, 1 0r 2 in the shed, 4 newer Stihls on the truck for firewood, and 2 in WV. I gave a few away this year. I had a purge a few years ago and gave away 20 or more, got down to 12, didn't last long. Friends see a saw they like and I say take it. I don't give away any big saws any more and don't give away any Homelites. Auction season is starting to ramp up, so the numbers will go up. Stop by with a nice IPA and I'll send you home with a saw.

I wonder if CAD would be less catching if all that was available were battery saws?

i bet most here just like 2 strokes a lot and would have many less saws if 2 strokes were not available.

long live the smokers!

I think a major part of the appeal of chainsaws is the raw power. They’re like diesel trucks, sport bikes or firearms. You’re holding, driving, shooting something that has an outrageous amount of power and it feels awesome. Battery saws don’t have that yet and their appeal is purely due to their practicality as tools. Make a 10 hp battery saw with a 36” bar and .404 chain and people will be collecting them too.

I have 4 but only cut about 8-10 cords of firewood and some storm cleanup. But chainsaws are like any other hobby, who only has what they really just need to get by with?

3 (046/MS 441/MS 461), I used to have six (2 372/2 395/044/046) until I went to all Stihl. Now when I need a 395 it comes from work. They’re all outfitted for the work I do. Collecting tools isn’t for me.

When I ran Husqvarna I only had the Stihls because 1128s dominated/dominate wildland and if I didn’t have a part or had a really sh!tty day and went through the original or the spare there’s a pretty good chance someone in camp would let you have their spare to get you going. Before you left you went to the dealer, of which Stihl dealers are in far greater supply than Husqvarna ones, and got them a part or you paid them for the part. Some guys would offer it up for free but it never sat well with me.

I think a major part of the appeal of chainsaws is the raw power. They’re like diesel trucks, sport bikes or firearms. You’re holding, driving, shooting something that has an outrageous amount of power and it feels awesome. Battery saws don’t have that yet and their appeal is purely due to their practicality as tools. Make a 10 hp battery saw with a 36” bar and .404 chain and people will be collecting them too.

Yup, as long as they have simulated noise, a vibrator, and a smoke attachment.

I’m down to 3 now. Recently sold a 562xp and a 365 Special. Health issues have caused me to stop heating with wood, and I have previously owned hundreds of saws. Getting old is not fun, especially if you have been a saw “nut” for decades.

I probably have 50 huskys, plus 10 partners, one Poulan, one italian bender Castor, three stihl’s a 170/ ? /041 farm-boss. Keeps me busy making some run again.

I’m finding out rebuilding them can get costly or be cheap. Either way some of these saws were expensive when new.

45, about half of which are runners, the rest future projects, plus two corded electrics. When I joined the forum I had two gas saws and two electric. If all we had were battery saws, my CAD would be instantly cured, although I would volunteer to work on other people's saws. There's just no replacement for the sound, feel, and smell of 2-stroke.

Back