How many cords do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikejlam

Reaction score
image.jpg Truck dimensions are 19x7.5x3.5. All log length. I trimmed the load for the road.

So the bed is 19ft making the logs 23ft after you trimmed? At least here we can only have 4ft of stick out without a permit and over 10ft needs a pilot car.

Looks similar to my truck. 18ftx6ftx7.5ft bed. It holds 5.5 cords of stacked firewood. It have a Big Cam Cummins and 10 speed?20161105_143826.jpg

If it's hardwood and green you could get a close estimate based on weight by applying 4800 pounds per cord for mixed green wood which should be accurate to plus or minus 10% depending upon log size and when it was cut.
Hardwood is heavier in the spring when the sap is up. There is also the expansion factor when logs are cut, split and piled which varies depending upon log size which can be as much as 15% or more.

If it's hardwood and green you could get a close estimate based on weight by applying 4800 pounds per cord for mixed green wood which should be accurate to plus or minus 10% depending upon log size and when it was cut.
Hardwood is heavier in the spring when the sap is up. There is also the expansion factor when logs are cut, split and piled which varies depending upon log size which can be as much as 15% or more.

In my hometown they sell by weight (how the mills buy). 6000lbs to a cord.

Not sure why they use that number, 4800-5000lbs a cord is pretty accurate.

Back