How many cords per hour (or hours per cord) with standard hydro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4019.jpg
This shows how I used to do it for many years.
One log deck/cutting table, a staging table for rounds with the splitter on the opposite side. The process was to cut a half cord of rounds, split a half cord of rounds. I do not recall how long splitting took to do a half cord of non stop splitting. I do recall neck and knee strain from repetitive movements.
I built a second log deck and bought a nursery wagon to use as a second staging table, but did not have room to load logs once set up. That led to rethinking, and eliminating the staging tables, saving a handling step in the process.
The second log deck is decked over completely, allowing me to noodle large pieces without them falling on the ground. Working both sides of the splitter has eliminated the neck and knee issues.
The process now is to cut two logs, shut the saw off, split a log and roll another in place on the sacrificial table portion of the log deck, switch sides relative to the splitter, split the other log and position another to be cut. Repeat.
Our son did a video, but I can't post it directly on ArboristSite, and I don't really want it on YouTube. Some time I would like him to do a better video, of the over all process for my web site.
A friend has help me probably five or more times this summer with cutting/splitting, doing a cord each time. He bought a Husky 550 mark II this year. He cuts on one side, I split and position logs on the other, and we switch. When I'm doing the Posch, or running the fork lift, he is cutting and splitting, stepping back when I load logs on the log deck.
No rush, two retired guys, just a smooth steady pace, enjoying being outside, and doing what we're doing.
I run a Husky 357 with an 18" bar. Although I've not run it, his 550 mark II seems like a beautiful mid weight saw. He loves it! It will probable be my next replacement choice, if and when needed.
Edit: The junk in the boxes is what we're burning now n the shoulder season.

Says who? I push wood through my wedge and into a pile. Don't handle it after the splitter. It can stay in a windrow for a year and then get loaded into a pallet or truck or wherever it's going next.

Must be very different conditions where you are, if I left wood on the ground, exposed to the weather, for a year, it would be Junk, Not Firewood

Yep, stacking takes a lot of time, but isn’t an option, for me cutting, hauling it home and splitting it, would all be a waste of time and fuel, without stacking it OUT of the Weather.

Doug :cheers:

Must be very different conditions where you are, if I left wood on the ground, exposed to the weather, for a year, it would be Junk, Not Firewood

Yep, stacking takes a lot of time, but isn’t an option, for me cutting, hauling it home and splitting it, would all be a waste of time and fuel, without stacking it OUT of the Weather.

Doug :cheers:

Conditions are certainly different everywhere. In truth though, the vast majority of the wood isn't on the ground. Only the first layer. After that, everything is up off the ground. So, when I'm loading the firewood, I toss the pieces on the ground aside or load them on a pallet for next year.

Edited to add: I do generally pull a piece of plastic over the whole pile once rainy fall weather rolls around.

Latest posts

Back