How many "cuts" do you get from your lettuce plants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This time I planted Bibb and Great Lakes lettuce, it's in a big planter box next to the patio and we have never seen any rabbits in it eating it until this morning, I look out and see the same rabbit eating some that I chased from the tomato and pepper raised garden bed last night and the day before so that one is a problem!! But yes those were some great links, and I read that Red Sails is a good one that can hold up to the heat and I have planted that before and it also mentioned shade which you said too, and this doesn't get much shade so that also is a factor.
Looked them up and it looks like the bibb and great lakes are both a type of head lettuce. I don't think either one would do good here. Might get one or two cutting a year as you do, but I don't see them producing in the summer time. We plant the green leaf and red sail. This year my green leaf seems to be doing good, the red sail not so much. We don't do rows, we just scatter/sprinkle the seeds in the bed and then pat into the soil. Actually, my big foot presses the seed into the soil. The red sail and green leaf will bolt and if you want to save the seed, then that's ok. We just cut it back and this encourages new growth. The lettuce that bolts turns bitter, cant eat it so might as well clip it off.

Well I was looking at this lettuce and realized that I was making my assumption on it based how twisted the Great Lakes was and realized that it might be a smart idea to maybe TASTE some, duh?! I did and it wasn't too bad, despite how it looked it wasn't too bad, not bitter, I'll see what the wife thinks but I picked it and I'll eat it if she doesn't, but I don't know how much more I will get from it, they want the mid 80's the next 4 days so that might not be too good for it. Some of the plants have just dried up and died so I yanked them out, but there is some new growth on some others so I will continue to experiment with it until it is time to put these little Apple peppers in!

Thanks for the replies, info and advice!

Yesterday I took the remaining lettuce plants that looked like they still had life left in them and transplanted them into pots, they were ones that were cut down and small but they were coming back again so hopefully this way I can put them in some shade as the pots are movable. I planted the little Apple peppers, only about 2.5 inches tall or so where the lettuce was in the box next to the patio and had to "barracade" a few sides of it since last week I saw a rabbit standing up on the side of it eating the lettuce. I also had to put a small fence around the tomatoes and peppers in the garden down below since said rabbit has to chew on the pepper plants. :mad:

Back