How many logs will fit on log truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckerwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to logging, and will start in a couple of months. I have a lot of large red oak trees, that are about 22" by 45 feet to first branch. Trees maintain close to same gurth most of the way to top of tree. The online calculator said about 1180 bf with international scale. I was told a log truck will hold 4000-5000 bf. If this is true, I would only need 5 trees to make load, does this sound wright?

Thanks

I am new to logging, and will start in a couple of months. I have a lot of large red oak trees, that are about 22" by 45 feet to first branch. Trees maintain close to same gurth most of the way to top of tree. The online calculator said about 1180 bf with international scale. I was told a log truck will hold 4000-5000 bf. If this is true, I would only need 5 trees to make load, does this sound wright?

Thanks

Most logging trucks load to a maximum gross weight, whatever is permitted in your area. If they have onboard scales you should be able to get a decent load on.

Board feet is, in a way, secondary when you're trying to max out a load. You try for all you can get, legally, but the gross weight determines a max load.

When your load gets to the mill you might find out that your scale and the mill scale are two different things. Keep an eye on that.

It takes one HELL of a big tall oak tree to get 1100 bf in one tree. Not saying there's no such thing, but I have never seen it here in NH.

A tri-axle log truck will take 3500-3800 BF of oak and be "legal" weight or even a bit over.

Take some pictures of the trees with an object in front for scale....I know they get big down your way, but 1100 per tree is some spectacular oak...I'd like to see it.

Up here, on average, I send out 75-80 oak logs on a tri-axle log truck, and the wood is 12" to 20" on the small end, 8', 9', and 10' long logs with the odd 12'-14' log tossed in.
Wood the size you describe would take 45- 65 logs.
If you are cutting your own wood for market (?) first go get tight with the scaler at the mill you will sell to. Get a schooling on what specs they want. You make or break pay-day with how you cut the wood up on the landing.

Last edited:
It varies by region. Out here, we have the piggyback log trucks. They go by weight. My job required me to guestimate how much board feet they would haul the next month, if the timber was paid by the MBF or thousand bd. feet. I figured 4.7 mbf per load.

Since the second growth has less defect and is fairly uniform, a switchover to paying by the ton has occurred. That varies too. I used 27 tons as a weight average.

I have no idea about oak.

In the olden times, the board feet hauled on a log truck greatly decreased on the days that the State Patrol brought out scales to check the legality of the weights. We didn't factor that in. Now the trucks have to haul longer distances where they will likely have to stop and be weighed, so they try to keep it legal.

It takes one HELL of a big tall oak tree to get 1100 bf in one tree. Not saying there's no such thing, but I have never seen it here in NH.

A tri-axle log truck will take 3500-3800 BF of oak and be "legal" weight or even a bit over.

Take some pictures of the trees with an object in front for scale....I know they get big down your way, but 1100 per tree is some spectacular oak...I'd like to see it.

Up here, on average, I send out 75-80 oak logs on a tri-axle log truck, and the wood is 12" to 20" on the small end, 8', 9', and 10' long logs with the odd 12'-14' log tossed in.
If you are cutting your own wood for market (?) first go get tight with the scaler at the mill you will sell to. Get a schooling on what specs they want. You make or break pay-day with how you cut the wood up on the landing.

I am going to hire forester to mark trees, & when I talked to log buyer, he said he would come and give price on timber before I cut it. Is this a good way?

Here is a couple of pictures, 2 foot level to give idea. 40' of usable timber.

One problem they seem to run into over here, is with cedar they max out their height before they hit max weight.

Yup...especially if it's been decked for a while.

P6240006.jpg

now I am west coast, so this may not be accurate fur you're area so hear goes, around hear when they scale the logs they measure the small end, then calculate a square down the middle of it and thats the board foot you get paid for. The mill keeps the rest...so a 22" log 40' long would scale out to 806. bf. Now if you were to scale it on the round (which is not correct) you would get 1267 bf for the same log hence some confusion. Brick top err... old timer has a point about knowing what lengths the mill wants, I ass-u-me if yer going with a forester you'll be going with professional loggers. or do you want to go it alone? If you go it alone learn the lengths! buy a spencer tape and don't forget snipe!!!

sew My Scale chart is home made, if the math is wrong its all me, couldn't find a real scale book until i got on here..

back to the question, since us westies go with long logs... i.e. 30 footers or better it can take any where from 15 to 30 of the size logs you're talking about to make a load ish maybe more maybe less depends on the truck and the lengths ya bucked em at...

Hey Randy ; I miss shipping loads like that off the landing. A Bcyrus 30B line shovel and a 1 1/8 th strap on one end, the yarder on the other. Back the trailer under the log.
1 log loads with 11 and 12' bunks. Off highway Hayse, Pacific, Kenworth Brutes and Mack off highway trucks.

now I am west coast, so this may not be accurate fur you're area so hear goes, around hear when they scale the logs they measure the small end, then calculate a square down the middle of it and thats the board foot you get paid for. The mill keeps the rest...so a 22" log 40' long would scale out to 806. bf. Now if you were to scale it on the round (which is not correct) you would get 1267 bf for the same log hence some confusion. Brick top err... old timer has a point about knowing what lengths the mill wants, I ass-u-me if yer going with a forester you'll be going with professional loggers. or do you want to go it alone? If you go it alone learn the lengths! buy a spencer tape and don't forget snipe!!!

sew My Scale chart is home made, if the math is wrong its all me, couldn't find a real scale book until i got on here..

That is what is confusing me, if that one tree is 1267 bf, & our logging trucks around here only hold 4000 bf, wouldn't that mean, I would only need 3 trees to fill the truck?
I plan on logging it my self, log buyer wants 8' to 14' logs.

A truck will hold up the legal height, 13'6" here & legal weight, 80K here. Add axles up to 105K then one needs overweight permit.

Depends on local laws. Depends on scales between the woods & the mill.

I used to skid alot of bug kill ponderosa. we called it popcorn. Always limited out on height instead of weight.
That is why Puget Sound Trucking brought chippers into Eastern Or in the 80's. Chipped bug kill Lodgepole in the woods & Ran chip vans to Longview I think.

Last edited:
That is what is confusing me, if that one tree is 1267 bf, & our logging trucks around here only hold 4000 bf, wouldn't that mean, I would only need 3 trees to fill the truck?
I plan on logging it my self, log buyer wants 8' to 14' logs.

When you talk to your forester, have him check your scale figures. When he sees the wood he'll be able to give you a better idea of what the bf/tonnage is. This is part of what you're paying him to do.

Also check with your log buyer and see how much trim he wants on those log lengths. Sending exact lengths to the mill is very important.

In the meantime, go back and read post number 3.

Those trees in the pictures will not scale 1100-1200 feet. They are sweet, very nice, but I would guess there's 450-500 board feet in each tree of that size and 40' of bole.
I wish I were a little close, I'd gladly come take a walk with you and give you a better idea of what's up.

what kind of trucks are they using out there? is it the short loggers with the logs stacked sideways, or lengthwise? or long trailers stacked sideways or lengthwise? if its the short loggers are they using a self loader at the cab side or back of truck with another short trailer?

Back