Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

How many miles ya got

Discussion in 'Reader's Rides' started by stihl sawing, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

1976 F100
    Bought it used in 82, on it's third engine, have no idea of the miles.

2. Free Will

Free Will I'm saner than you are.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

That's gotta be some kind of a record. :clap:

Any major repairs or issues along the way?

Cycledude and Ronaldo like this.
  3. Cycledude

Cycledude ArboristSite Operative

Alternator has been replaced 3 times, driveshaft twice, waterpump once, it uses about 2 quarts of oil every 8,000 miles.
    My Goldwing came with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty and for $300 I was able to buy 4 more years of unlimited miles warranty so in my case the bike was under warranty for 286,000 miles, Honda has always taken very good care of me.

I know of at least two other owners that are over 500,000 miles, one of them is 76 years young and when he reached 540,000 on his 02 he bought a brandnew 2015 and put 200,000 miles on it in 24 months !

There's a guy about 50 miles from me (Wausau wi) that turned 1,000,000 miles on his 1975 Goldwing about a month ago.

Ronaldo, Sleepy and Free Will like this.
  4. Free Will

I've had countless m/c's over the years. Usually, at about the 20K mark, I either sell them or trade them off.

My current ride is a 2003 BMW R1150RT. I bought it new, and it has a tad over 25K miles. That's a new record for me. :)

5. SS Sniper

SS Sniper Addicted to ArboristSite

Even though the diesels will start at that low a temp, it's always advantageous to plug them in if possible when it's below 45 degrees IMHO.

The warmer that oil, the thinner it is, and the quicker it'll get up in the motor, which means less wear in the long run. Relatively, most engine wear occurs on cold starts. Also, when they're plugged in, I notice the manual trans shift better when you initially drive, whereas the cold fluid gives you a bit of a fit sometimes going into gear. I think some of the heat from the block finds its way over to the tranny and actually warms that up a bit too.

Also, the more gradual the temp increase is, and the more gradual the temp decrease is, helps as well. Little stuff like that goes along way in my mind. Of course it can't always be for, but when feasible, I try to do it, and have yet to have a problem with any of my motors.

Ronaldo likes this.
  6. LAH

LAH ArboristSite Guru

Amazing.

7. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

It's 45 or colder 9 months a year. 52* right now.

No issues here either, some of the equipment has almost 30,000hrs.

8. no tree to big

no tree to big Addicted to ArboristSite

And to think we have a few trucks that don't like to start at 32...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

9. Free Will

We lived in Helena, MT. from 1981 to 1984.

I think it was the winter of 82 that it got down to 45 below at night w/o any wind. During the day, it "warmed up" to a toasty 20-25 below zero. That weather lasted about a week or so.

Even the hardiest of Montanans found that to be very challenging.

Ronaldo likes this.
  10. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't have much trouble here till its around -10* or colder.

The Big Cam in my International is cold blooded, but has an ether start setup (button in the dash). Plugging it in for 2-3 hrs though and it starts like it's 70*.

The 7.3idis are a bit fussy. One has about 300 (hard miles too), the other about 55k, but it needs glowplugs.

My TDI Jetta, the battery won't turn the engine over much below -15*. It starts fine with a jump pack though. Thought it was a worn battery, but a brand new one does it too.

Generally no issues with the logging equipment. A mix of John Deere, Cummins, Isuzu, and Whatever engine Komatsu uses (I forget). We do keep a salamander heater in the service truck to warm stuff up if needed.
    One of the skidders is pretty tired (high hours... low compression) and usually takes a spray of ether.
    The 750 dozer sometimes too. The 450 dozervand 648D skidder start like it's 70* whether it is or its -40*.

I won't argue that block heaters are nice, but it'd break the bank to keep stuff plugged in. Figure just 10 heaters going for 14 hrs a day works to about $800/month in electricity.

We plug the cranky starters in when needed, that's about it.

My skid steer would need a block heater. Last winter it wouldn't start at -30*. Had to stick a salamander heater on it.

Camped out once in my TDI Jetta, was -45*. I froze my ass off, just idling it wasn't enough load to make enough heat!

11. Buckshot00

Buckshot00 00

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] 2003 Tahoe-226,000 miles. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Plowboy83 likes this.