How many of you are running Eastonmade wood splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn firewood because it saves me money. I then sell the extra. It’s not going to make you rich but it keeps me in shape.

I have the 12-22, I own the box wedge, 6 way and 4 way. I primarily use the 4 way wedge because I like that I can control the size of the splits much easier then say with the 6 way or the box wedge. It might also have to do with the quality of the wood I'm starting off with, Generally yard trees. If you had a uniform sized tree to start with I can see using the 6 way wedge more often and producing a huge amount of splits in a very short time. I find if you don't have really large clean wood the box wedge does tend to produce a fair amount of "Waste" I don't sell firewood so it doesn't bother me.

Great machine and a great company standing behind its product.
Also have the 12-22 . Exactly same experience as kevinlar

Stay away from Eastonmade unless you want endless problems. Than Andrew will ignore you and not back up his work!
What is this about? Inquiring minds would like to know...
I have one piece of equipment that I love, but have been disappointed with the company response several times, and had very good results other times. So I don't want to bash the company as the equipment is good, more an attitude thing, but moody, hit and miss. Irritating at times is all. I bought this item used, so not a priority for them.
Edit: In a way it is a good experience, because it raises my awareness on how I treat my customers. There is a lot of email and phone time selling firewood. Communication is top of the list.

Stay away from Eastonmade unless you want endless problems. Than Andrew will ignore you and not back up his work!
Are you the guy who popped up awhile back and bad mouthed Andrew saying you used the splitter for “light homeowner use” for yourself, then was proven a liar and it was found out you used it as a rental unit allowing customers to trash the splitter and you expected Andrew to give you the splitter for free and we all laughed?

Are you the guy who popped up awhile back and bad mouthed Andrew saying you used the splitter for “light homeowner use” for yourself, then was proven a liar and it was found out you used it as a rental unit allowing customers to trash the splitter and you expected Andrew to give you the splitter for free and we all laughed?
I just did a search, to bring up that thread and can`t find it-i had a lot to say in that thread, was very PRO Eastonmade, because i owned a 22-28, that has all changed with me, got ride of it, took a loss...

I got rid of my TW-6.
Not because it wasn't well built.
Mainly because my supplier of large logs got a bit greedy, and I preferred not to work with him any longer.
Also the design, in my opinion, was old school.
I think the Eastonmade design has addressed several things the TW lacked.
Owned it two and a half years, and also took about a $2k loss.
Wood needing re-split falling on the ground on both sides, or behind a huge fat wedge, making more work than necessary. I modified the wedge early on to address that part. Worked very well.
I went back to buying 20 cord loads of smaller logs, and using a SuperSplit.
Photo: Shortly before selling; and clearing a spot for the present wood lot.

IMG_2867.jpg

Hello! New to site but not to the wood/lumber business. Anyhow, I bought a 12-22 a few years back and must say it is a beast! The service from Andrew has been top-notch. That of course has changed since he acquired Bells'. Now I get a phone menu with no option for tech-advice. I guess this is expected. But to my question: Has anyone else had the problem of a log getting caught BEHIND the ram and destroying the valve platform? First time it happened a round fell off the log lift behind the ram and the second time it happened a large round fell backwards after being split. Cost me about $300 for a new valve platform the first time. Second time I was able to save it with a come-along and some welding. Lessons learned-Don't activate the log lift during a cycle and don't use the auto cycle on large rounds! Thinking of putting some sort of switch on platform to shut down motor if hit with something. Am I the only one that experienced this?

Same here: My 22-28 would have splits ride the rod back on return, but was able to hit lever and stop it..I have had other splitters do the same thing, no big deal...

What engine did you get, and how long did you wait for it?
Looks to be worth the wait, however long it was.
This came with the Briggs. It is not obnoxiously loud as I expected of a Briggs. Likely near equal to a Honda of the same size.

I ordered it in late September of last year. At the time I was quoted delivery in April, maybe May. Missed that by a bit but honestly with all that is going on in the world it would not be right to hold that against them. As well, they were in the process of moving shops to Bells. Life happens, we all have to adjust.

This thing is heavy...real heavy. The Case 1845 will barely get it off the ground. You can steer it around but thats it. Likely better off using the hitch less you are tucking it in a corner.

Notable feature....the tank is good sized. 40 gallon or better? I don't recall the exact volume. Come winter it is going to be awesome snuggling up to it as you work to stay warm. In August....well, not so much. It does put off some heat. No surprise, thats what hydraulics do.

20210803_133330.jpg

I saw a youtube recently on it. Was quite thorough. Torsion hubs; adjustable foot peddle; two speed winch on conveyor; conveyor chain is super heavy duty.
A dislike was unpinning the log lift for road travel, and hard to re-pin. Pretty minor all in all.
He did about bean himself with the conveyor, forgetting to set the lock on the winch handle. It spun wildly as the conveyor dropped. I've done the same with my log arch winch handle. You do it once, lesson learned.
The fork pockets are a plus.
I bought a fork attachment and extra ball to move the conveyor. Very handy moving the dump trailer and RV trailer as well.
Long wait, nice splitter.
63752524015__4C416FEA-410E-4F1F-9AB5-3609674B981B.jpg

Latest posts

Back