How many tanks of mix to break in engine 100%

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
The time it takes to break in is proportionate to the type of mix you're using. The slicker the mix, the more time it takes for rings to seat.
Regards
Gregg

Hey, that's some pretty slick info Gregg! :msp_thumbup:

My 550xp seemed to "wake up" right around tank 20-25 or so. I did due a MM on it at about tank 18 but all of a sudden around tank 20 it really just came to life and is super strong...def noticeable vs. stock or "non broken in." Took a long time because the 550xp is really great on gas.

If ya don't notice a saw getting stronger after it's first tank, you're just not paying attention, or it was so long ago ya don't remember. :D

For me, guilty as charged for all of the above.

I don't carry a stethoscope with me when I'm cutting wood.

The saw is either alive or dead. Never noticed whether it was feeling livelier or sluggish on any given day. It just been doing what it's supposed to do for thirty years.

A dull chain? Now that's a different story.

My 550xp seemed to "wake up" right around tank 20-25 or so. I did due a MM on it at about tank 18 but all of a sudden around tank 20 it really just came to life and is super strong...def noticeable vs. stock or "non broken in." Took a long time because the 550xp is really great on gas.

Same things with my 2153. Just like sunfish has been saying. After about 12 tanks now she's really cutting much better. 1st tank

was awful. But I expected it. Thanks for all the answers guys great info.

I just want to have a fair fight between my ms261 (which is over 100 tanks of fuel) vs. my 2153 (which is at about 12 tanks right

now). I can do my showdown next week for the gang!:clap:

Thanks, Adam

Stumpy ran mine on the first tank and he just shook his head. It was not good!
My old one was twice as fast in the cut, after 3-4 tanks they were almost even, after 10, the new one was faster. Then I ported the old one. :D

Your 261 is broken-in. I'd run at least 20 tanks through the Jred, then do a shoot out.

I much prefer the outboard clutch!!! :msp_biggrin:

I think I'm really liking the outboard too. At first I was like: "whoa this is weird". But honestly 20 minutes of get used to, and

making clutch removal tool. It's no big deal at all.

What I liked on the Outboard was how the cover plate and all around the rim etc had no wood chips at all. After cutting all day!

My ms261 after 20 minutes of hard cutting the whole

inside is jammed like crazy with wood chips.

Adam

someone told me around 17 tanks full.

there was never any "break in procedure" when we were logging and pulping --other than keep the chain sharp and run the jeebers out of it.

the new echo 590 seemed to start picking up extra power around 10-12 tanks and it is still getting stronger -- i think it may have 17-20 tanks through it now-- i suspect it is just shy of 20 full tanks.

the newly built china doll MS440 was a slug for the first two tanks after that it got stronger every tank full , there was a big jump around 12-13 tanks full, like a bottle of NO2 kicked in. it is still getting stronger too.

i suspect some saws and mix break in sooner and later. somewhere around 17-20 tanks full burned mostly at WOT is a pretty good guess i think.

when the 590 is fully "ripe" i'll try it with a 24"---

I like to use stihl conventional oil at a slightly richer 35 or 40 to 1 mix for the first ten tanks or so. The orange bottle.

Then i switch to stihl full synthetic at a 40 or 45 to 1 ratio. Silver bottle.

The echo syn blend oil is good too, after break in. However, the stihl oil does combust better at richer mix ratios.

I'm wondering how much of these power gains are "perception" vs measurable differences. Chadiham, where are you??
Measure compression on a new saw and measure it again after 15 tanks. Compression goes up. With that comes more power.

On top of that, all the metal to metal surfaces wear into one another which reduces the amount of friction and less friction = more power available for cutting.

At the time both my new husky saws, the 575xp & 385xp didn’t run st there full potential. They weren’t as crisp throttle wise like my older huskys were like they were being held back. We were cutting big diameter wood cleaning up the non lumber wood. A 28” & 32” bars. By the time we cut 20 cords of wood, about 10 cords on each saw. Soon after both saws started to really cut quicker. My dealer told me the newer saws have tighter tolarences and only use the husky + p oil and high test fuel. I’m using the 50:1 husky pre mix. I add a tad more oil. The 385 Xp did show up the 575xp powerwise. But both saws run awesome.

I do a lot of rebuilds and rarely get more than 1/2 a tank through them before they leave but the first startup they do run like crap until you finally get them tuned in and hit some logs with them and repeat the carb settings and when I'm satisfied out they go, - got a 385 back in for a minor thing after 2 months of commercial use and I couldn't believe the compression difference then when it left here- built a kinda Simonize version 372 for myself this last spring and was pretty disappointed at the performance at first but after about 3 tanks through it, what a saw, amazing power and performance.

Good point doing a compression check as there used. Once there broken in log the compression in a book on each saw. This way when the compression starts to drop after many hours of use it needs a new ring.

My 385xp is a running bear now it’s the first saw my son grabs to cut with. I been teaching him how to tweet the chains and he was surprised how it cuts after he sharpened it.

Latest posts

Back