how many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
how many cordsof wood do you burn in your fireplace or wood stove for the heating season

I have two wood stoves and a new fire pit
6db351a2ad7f6c7bab813a59ee95c7b0.jpeg
I burn 10 cords a season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From somewhere around November to early May, we burn around 6 cords of hardwood. When the temps are below 45 or so, we burn full-time, but the rest of time we use electric heat because our woodstove will cook us out if not.

Winters are mild here (North Carolina), lows get into the teens or 20s at night, usually 30s to 40s during the day. I burn 2 cords in my woodstove and that heats the whole house.

It really depends on the weather. I won't start a fire until we get overnight freezing. That can be late September to early November here. I also let the fire go out if the daytime high gets over 50°. That puts me burning part time thru Oct, Nov, March and April. Pretty much full time fire in my WonderWood for 3 months with 4 months of part time burning eats from 4 cords in a harsh winter to less than 2 in a mild winter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I burn 5-6 cords in an Englander 30-NC stove from whenever it gets cold enough to need heat until it gets warm enough to not need heat. That’s roughly October-March.

I burn October to May. 6-7 cord of wood. I put in a new high efficiency Froling boiler soni expect that to go down.

I don't fire up the boiler till after deer season....don't want the wife messing with it.
So from the middle of Nov til the end of March, I burn 7 cord.
CB 5036 in mountain of VA, 4600 sq ft, all hydronic.

OMG, from what is posted about how many cords are burnt I'm in deep ship, I need to get extra busy for sure.

2700 square .Shouse,half shop keep at 70/75°.2×6 walls.4to5 cords.Wood heat only,electric back up,start heating about October thru March /April.Hydraulic splitter and bark buster for BIG logs to get them to a manageable size (use it ONLY from the seat of Oliver 770).Back into 4 foot to 6 foot logs to get them down to size.

It's a dangerous tool!!
Big screw that runs of my pto.
Thinking they may be illegal.IF not,probably should be.
I use mine ONLY from my seat and NO ONE within 200 feet or more.
If the rounds are bigger then I WANT to lift (20" or so)on horizontal splitter,I'll use it.
Hate using my splitter vertical,kills my back.
I've cut the logs up before,have the bucked pieces like dominoes and back into them,usually splits them right in two halves,lot easier to manage.
Made one I run of a post hole digger,just position it over the log and drop it down.Feeds itself into the wood,but,if it gets stuck,no reverse.Google ATOM splitter on mini back hoe,same principal,they can reverse the flow,on PTO I cant

I burn 4 to 6. I could probably cut that down if I insulated some walls and the floors of this old house but here in Carolina the winters aren't that cold. I rather enjoy them.

Latest posts

Back