How much back lean can you overcome withe wedges?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The elm I have a video of had about 2-3' back lean. It took the whole wedge in it to get it to tip. I think it was the 8" K&H I used on it. One of the sycamores I didn't video took 2 wedges stacked to over come in and it was in the 20" on the stump and 75-80' tall.

Crazy meaning just huge trees. I assume those are a type of redwood, how come they seem very brittle? Or is that the properties of those types of trees? I've never even seen one in person . Biggest trees we see here in the northeast are just big pine and sometimes a 300 year old oak or maple.

Those were some kind of cedar, it is rare to find a big one that isn't rotten or full of defect. Some Redwoods have the rot, most have fire damage though.

Western Red Cedar , Douglas fir/Balsam some hemlock and yellow cedar ( Cyprus)
Is the wood they are falling .
Typical day for westcoast b.c fallers.

I use the wedge to keep the bar from getting pinched. Remember if the wind blows the wedge can fall out, as the tree starts forward out it comes only to have the wind bring the tree back with no wedge. If the tree has a back lean and the wedge falls out as described the saw gets pinched, the hinge breaks and major damage may occur. The wedge is no guarantee. If the tree has a back lean and you attempt to use a wedge to lift, while pounding you can break the hinge.

Back