How much back lean can you overcome withe wedges?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think of flush cutting in any other position than on one or both knees. I'm behind the power head, the saw would have to kick around 200 degrees to get me. I feel I'd have less upper body control on the saw if I was doing some sort of giraffe drinking yoga position to flush cut. No way my back would allow being bent over for an entire big stump
image.jpg

I wouldn't think of flush cutting in any other position than on one or both knees. I'm behind the power head, the saw would have to kick around 200 degrees to get me. I feel I'd have less upper body control on the saw if I was doing some sort of giraffe drinking yoga position to flush cut. No way my back would allow being bent over for an entire big stump
View attachment 346059
That is how I feel. The tip of the bar is at least 180 degrees away from me. I have a firm grip on the brake side and same withe the power head . But if there is a safer way, please let me know. I'd like too know an try it.

To add I cut left handed a lot. It feels just as natural for me so I don't see an issue even if the saw was designed for a righty.

[QUOTE="Revturbo977, post: 4790393, member: 121508"To add I cut left handed a lot. It feels just as natural for me so I don't see an issue even if the saw was designed for a righty.[/QUOTE]
I'm not gonna explain this well, but the saw is designed to be used right handed, which includes keeping the bar out of the plane of the body while bucking. I'll switch hands while cutting horizontally, but bucking left handed will encourage a kickback into u'r shoulder

[QUOTE="Revturbo977, post: 4790393, member: 121508"To add I cut left handed a lot. It feels just as natural for me so I don't see an issue even if the saw was designed for a righty.
I'm not gonna explain this well, but the saw is designed to be used right handed, which includes keeping the bar out of the plane of the body while bucking. I'll switch hands while cutting horizontally, but bucking left handed will encourage a kickback into u'r shoulder[/QUOTE]
That makes some sence to me. I'll keep it noted

Not crazy, nothing particularly unusual. Yes a 'chair, nice and noisy.

Good video. That snag coming apart at 2:40 should give some of the wishful wannabes something to think about. Like you said, it's not really unusual but I'd bet the majority of weekend warriors have never see that happen.

Looked like Indiana jones with the boulder. One of many reasons I'm a fan and not a wannabe.
A mans gotta know his limitations.....

Nice to see you around Mr. MacKendrick

I could tell he knew something bad was about to happen when it stalled and he took a long look before hitting it again.

I like the take down at 4:00. Seems to be a lot more fun than running from self-exploding trees. Ron

They're doing that more and more. I think it's a great idea. I can remember a lot of snags that I wished I could have used dynamite on. Some of those bug-kill trees were like culverts. You couldn't find enough solid wood deep enough to trust a wedge. You'd just size it up the best you could and stay ready to move.

Not crazy, nothing particularly unusual. Yes a 'chair, nice and noisy.
Crazy meaning just huge trees. I assume those are a type of redwood, how come they seem very brittle? Or is that the properties of those types of trees? I've never even seen one in person . Biggest trees we see here in the northeast are just big pine and sometimes a 300 year old oak or maple.

I haven't read this whole threat so hope no one had said this. I was told in school that with 1 wedge fully into a cut a 70' tree will move 6'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't read this whole threat so hope no one had said this. I was told in school that with 1 wedge fully into a cut a 70' tree will move 6'

It would, but only if the back of the wedge was 1", and the tree diameter was 12". Which would be difficult to pull off. Assuming the 70' tree was 24" diameter, a one inch lift would move the top about three feet

Hmmmm I dunno if that's right...why does diameter matter when it comes to lifting/pushing? I might try this in a smaller scale.

The pivot point is your hinge. The further from the hinge the less angle there is. Just think of a triangle. One that is 6" long and one inch thick will have steeper angles than one 12" long and one inch thick. Ron

Back