How much damage do you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How much turf damage and property damage do you do? I dont mean like go in there are who gives a f and smash peoples stuff. I mean the accidental chainlink rail, dents and ruts in a yard, phone line reinstalls ect... I just dont think its avoidable lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a daily basis...almost none. A periodic slip up? Stuff happens. For lawn/turf, that is a discussion we have with clients. 'we can drop pieces for $x or lower everything down for $y'

Same here. I damage a fence once or twice a year. Sometimes a shingle or gutter. The other day i dropped a hickory trunk about 30' tall on a slight slope. I dropped it so the slope was at an angle. Put logs down to prevent it from rolling once it landed. It bounced over the logs and rolled into the homeowners enclosed trailer denting the trim. It had to bounce high and change directions for it to accomplish this. I dropped a tree yesterday uphill perpendicular to a fence. And the trunk was 20 feet away from the fence. Literally 1% risk. It bounced a few times and rolled into the fence. It had a Y at the top too. All i could do is watch in disbelief.

I had to retrieve a pine round that got away and rolled down to a neighbor's yard & crashed noisily into the grill on their deck. Embarrassing, but these things happen. Rarely, thank goodness.

Was once removing a Ponderosa next to a guy's house on very steep ground. I piled up slash below my work zone just in case a round got away from me. One round did, and it took a bounce and cleared my slash "fence." It was truly frightening 'cause that thing was hurtling downhill toward a neighboring place. All I could think was--if there's someone sitting inside that thing could crash thru and kill them. But in the end that round came rolling to a stop in the drive. (Found out later the place was vacant, when I got called to work there.) I retrieved the round that I had figured might weigh 50 lbs, and weighed it at home: 75 lbs. With velocity racing downhill . . . can't imagine what it might have done.

But if you've never repaired a fence or similar, you haven't done much tree work. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

How much turf damage and property damage do you do? I dont mean like go in there are who gives a f and smash peoples stuff. I mean the accidental chainlink rail, dents and ruts in a yard, phone line reinstalls ect... I just dont think its avoidable lol.

The short answer is yes, it is always avoidable... hindsight is 20/20... I have never damaged something that I couldn't look back and see a way to do it differently. The difference between us and hacks is we lose sleep over it and learn from it.

Same here. I damage a fence once or twice a year. Sometimes a shingle or gutter. The other day i dropped a hickory trunk about 30' tall on a slight slope. I dropped it so the slope was at an angle. Put logs down to prevent it from rolling once it landed. It bounced over the logs and rolled into the homeowners enclosed trailer denting the trim. It had to bounce high and change directions for it to accomplish this. I dropped a tree yesterday uphill perpendicular to a fence. And the trunk was 20 feet away from the trunk. Literally 1% risk. It bounced a few times and rolled into the fence. It had a Y at the top too. All i could do is watch in disbelief.

Next time tie a rope to it so it dont go far.

My high end clients, and that's basically all we have now, have ZERO tolerance for any damage of any sort. We are famous around here for not being able to tell we were ever there
except for the ordered services performed.

McKee, I'm the opposite of that. We remove trees, chip slash back onto the property (in a safe location that won't increase fire danger) and leave stumps cut to ground level, saw chips where they land--not a mess exactly, but hardly clean. A guy who used to work with me had been in landscaping previously--he was always trying to rake and leave a clean site. Not me--I cut trees, don't do landscaping. Our clients live in the woods, so I get by with that.

As a kid I grew up in suburbs, not far from NYC. Clean lawns and immaculate landscaping don't appeal to me. "Nature loves a mess."--one of my favorite sayings.

Guess I'm not fit for civilized company.

Ya we had a fence repair kit on both chip trucks, for chain link and wood fences. Got good enough at fence repair to discourage stupid stuff but also found out how much of a hit a fence could take. The worst were those wooden fences that just looking at them could make them fall down... By and large though Alaskans don't get too excited about their "lawns" and the estimator would also give folks an alternate lower "no rake up " price which always made my day. Unfortunately we also did hydroseeding so occasionally some poor soul would have to return to a job to patch things up, like the time the Freightliner sank in someone's "gravel" driveway (it was like three inches of granite chips on top of saturated topsoil...)

My high end clients, and that's basically all we have now, have ZERO tolerance for any damage of any sort. We are famous around here for not being able to tell we were ever there
except for the ordered services performed.

Mostly the same here. We don't make very many mistakes. I am always telling my guys that I don't care if something takes longer to do. I'm not paying you to be fast. I'm paying you to be safe. That includes injuries but also property.

Pretty much nothing. Unless I’m trying to come up with a lot of money to put down on a new piece of equipment and working too many hours for the push., Then occasionally things have happened.

Have broken 1 window pane in maybe 400 trees. Some of the jobs require bringing in either skidders or dozers which tend to leave a little grass roughed up. Dents in lawns are pretty common, rarely have a fence to worry about. Don't use mats. Customers are happy & understanding.
Going to smash a bush Monday with a split ash, have no other safe option and client is cool with it. Was actually told to smash a shed with a tree once to help evict a renter, ended up missing the shed...

once a top got away from me and hit what I thought was a brick chimney. Instead it was once of those faux sheet metal chimneys made to look real (it fooled me). Crunched like a soda can! It cost my insurance co 3800 to fix.

Back