how much does a cord weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a cord of water alone is 7,973 pounds, and a cord of wet red oak is 5,700 pounds, can I calculate the moisture content of a Michigan face cord of this?:)

However many you want there to be. Since it's not a defined measurement, you can be... flexible.

Over here it is 4' x 4' x 8' for a cord of wood and a run is a third of a cord. To be officially classified as a cord, the wood should be stacked so tight as to allow a squirrel to get through but not let the cat that is chasing it get through. Simple!

Measurements

It's amazing how many people think they know volumes of wood. In most states wood for sale has to be described in terms of a full cord or part thereof. When selling wood by the bundle it has to say what part of 1 cu ft it is and what part of a full cord it is. Some states allow the use of the word
"Rick" or "Rik" - Wisconsin is one. To find what your state requires look up your states' bureau of weights and measures. And stop guessing.:clap:

Rspike said:
Even if you had side rails and a back rail on the tail gate with a headach rack for the back window ..... filled it stacked / split wood to about 2" from the top of the cab you would get about 1 cord in a full size bed/ full size truck . Now this would would be around 3800 - 4500 lbs DRY weight. Thats a hell of a lot of weight even for a F250 let alone a F150 size truck . I dont see it happening .

I measured my F150 today. It has racks that go a bit above the cab.
Width 5' and a few inches
length 8' and a few inches
height 4' and a few inches

So 5x8x4 = 160 ft3 well over a cord even allowing for two wheel wells and a spare tire in the bed.

I don't load it full tho. 4 ricks crosswise leaving the tail end clear for the saws and other equipment. Still makes a heavy load.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
I measured my F150 today. It has racks that go a bit above the cab.
Width 5' and a few inches
length 8' and a few inches
height 4' and a few inches

So 5x8x4 = 160 ft3 well over a cord even allowing for two wheel wells and a spare tire in the bed.

I don't load it full tho. 4 ricks crosswise leaving the tail end clear for the saws and other equipment. Still makes a heavy load.

Harry K
Yep , You can get a full cord in a full size bed with rails but there again 4000 lbs on a 1000 lbs truck is not a good mix . I ended up building a trailer out of another F150 box ( half the truck , built the hitch ) Now i can cover the weight in over two truck box beds and have the room for my gear . Stock can pull around 5500 lbs so i would rather pull the extra weight then have it all on just the 1 truck axle .

Rspike said:
Yep , You can get a full cord in a full size bed with rails but there again 4000 lbs on a 1000 lbs truck is not a good mix . I ended up building a trailer out of another F150 box ( half the truck , built the hitch ) Now i can cover the weight in over two truck box beds and have the room for my gear . Stock can pull around 5500 lbs so i would rather pull the extra weight then have it all on just the 1 truck axle .

Oh, yeah, overloading is very easy to do. I once hauled 22 #1 RR ties 17 miles on my old 62 chev 1/2 ton...had to replace all 4 shocks the next day.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
Oh, yeah, overloading is very easy to do. I once hauled 22 #1 RR ties 17 miles on my old 62 chev 1/2 ton...had to replace all 4 shocks the next day.

Harry K

Normally it's your springs that break not the shocks. Your shock bodies must have been rusted to paper thin.

JAL said:
Over here it is 4' x 4' x 8' for a cord of wood and a run is a third of a cord. To be officially classified as a cord, the wood should be stacked so tight as to allow a squirrel to get through but not let the cat that is chasing it get through. Simple!

O.K., so it's 4' x 4' x 8', not 128 cuft. So you say a 'run' is a third of 4' x 4' x 8'?
so a 'run' = 4/3' x 4' x 8', or 4' x 4/3' x 8' or is it 4' x 4' x 8/3'?
:popcorn:

DanMan1 said:
O.K., so it's 4' x 4' x 8', not 128 cuft. So you say a 'run' is a third of 4' x 4' x 8'?
so a 'run' = 4/3' x 4' x 8', or 4' x 4/3' x 8' or is it 4' x 4' x 8/3'?
:popcorn:

A cord is 4' x 4' x 8' =128 cubic feet
a run is 16" x 4' x 8'

The 16" is a standard fireplace log length and so that is where a 16" wide x 4' tall x 8' long stack of wood equals a 1/3 of a cord comes from.

Well I can say that I have had my truck on the scales picking up some stone dust for a customer. The truck weighed in at just over 10,000 and its a Chevy 2500 with a 8600 gvw... so yes it's easy to over load a truck...

Now as far as volume of a cord.. let me ask this question a different way...

Can someone tell the difference between a full cord.. (128 cu) and say .95 of a cord or 1.05... can you tell when your 12 pieces of wood under or over of a cord or better yet.. can a customer spot it...

More of the volume of it is subjective than objective that you think... take a step back and think about it...

just my .02 and I am sticking with it

Last edited:
Around here to legally sell cordwood, after you put a cord of wood in your truck, 75 gallons of water added to the bed of the truck must meet, or exceed the top of the 2 foot high bed rail, otherwise the stack is considered too loose and contains less than 1 cord.

As a kid my dad and I sold firewood and he had a 4'x4'x8' set of steel tubes that where welded to hold a "cord" of wood. Any of his customers where welcome to come see the quantity of wood we call a cord.

I still have that old rack that I now store wood on and have also built a bunch of duplicates for holding the 3 cords I use a year, plus racks for friends and family.

The racks I've built have started an argument or two with local wood suppliers who sell a cord of wood delivered in a half ton truck!

I have a Chevy dump with a 2'x6'x10' bed and my "cord" uses every bit of that bed!

I actually got stopped by D.O.T and a "cord" of dry (1Year) Oak weighed like 3700 lbs , or around there as the truck was 7,250 and the total was 11K.

Jeff

Interesting math

There's a firewood place here in NW PA that lets you back right up to the pile and load your own wood - take only the pieces you like, toss aside any undesirable species / heavy wet logs / etc, pack it and stack it as tight as you like. Then you pull over to the office, and they measure the size of your pile, and charge $1 a cubic foot. The math always goes something like this. "Let's see, that's about six feet wide, and about eight feet long, so that's forty-eight, and 18" high, a little extra on top to account for the wheel wells, ok, let's see, that comes out to... let's call it $60." I've never had any reason to argue. :laugh:

Around here to legally sell cordwood, after you put a cord of wood in your truck, 75 gallons of water added to the bed of the truck must meet, or exceed the top of the 2 foot high bed rail, otherwise the stack is considered too loose and contains less than 1 cord.

what in the world:msp_scared:
ive never heard this one before

what truck beds are even water tight?
what kind of truck are we talking about? people use all sorts of vehicles/trailers to deliver firewood

assuming somehow this hypothetical truck bed IS water tight, how do you get the 600+ pounds of water back out after?
:dizzy:

what in the world:msp_scared:
ive never heard this one before

what truck beds are even water tight?
what kind of truck are we talking about? people use all sorts of vehicles/trailers to deliver firewood

assuming somehow this hypothetical truck bed IS water tight, how do you get the 600+ pounds of water back out after?
:dizzy:

Same here and I find the claim is dubious.

Harry K

Back