How much have you burned so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a cord and a half that is a real cord 4'x4'x8' plus 2'x2'x4.

Other than the start of November and a few randon days it has been well above normal here.

Weather guesser showed a calander of January so far 3 days of adverage temps and 1 day below adverage.
All the weather news and my daughter living in Wisconsin is griping about the lack of sun 27 days with out any sighitngs.

I told my Daughter they would stop ******** about the lack of sun if they got 2 feet of snow and 12F temp but the sun was out.
Then the ******** would be all the snow and the cold.

I am worried this summer will also be super hot & humid which isn't fit for man nor beast to do any thing.

:D Al

About 3 1/2 cord. Stove runs 24/7 but I let it burn down longer this year due to the mild temps. On track to burn about 8 cords, which is average. Stove lit in November burns until usually April.

Gasification makes a big difference.

I should also add dry wood really helps the consumption. Most of mine is 12-17%. I get no moisture out the ends when burning. I loaded at 7:30 last night with 11 standard splits (about half full) and won't have to reload for a few hours still. It's 19 now and I think our low was 15.

We've gone through about two cords...have been letting the furnace and heat pump do a lot. Based on the forecast, I doubt I'll even get into the second pile...

If we run the wood stove when it's in the 40s, the house is too hot to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’d say I’ve burned like 4 cords so far. I started the furnace about 2-3 weeks early this year. I’ve been burning mostly junk though, pine and aspen. I’ve only been using my oak and hickory when it’s been really cold.

Gasification makes a big difference.
Is it worth the extra cost of the furnace? They cost like $3,000 more. I’m in the market for a new furnace as soon as my patch job on this pos fails.

Been a mild winter.

I'm right at 4 cords with CB 5036 OWB heating just under 5K, mostly seasoned Oak.

I’d say I’ve burned like 4 cords so far. I started the furnace about 2-3 weeks early this year. I’ve been burning mostly junk though, pine and aspen. I’ve only been using my oak and hickory when it’s been really cold.

Is it worth the extra cost of the furnace? They cost like $3,000 more. I’m in the market for a new furnace as soon as my patch job on this pos fails.

I think it is to an extent. If I had endless supplies of wood and didn't care I would probably run a top loader I could fit a crap ton in then check once a week. Biggest thing is the wood needs to be seasoned. Under 25%. I like mine at 15%. It took me some time to get my process figured but I am happy where I am at now. I have zero dollars in fuel oil purchased the last 4 years and I keep my house 6 degrees warmer.

Wood is work. There needs to be an end game for most people. I'm pretty close to the break even point, probably one season away.

I think it is to an extent. If I had endless supplies of wood and didn't care I would probably run a top loader I could fit a crap ton in then check once a week. Biggest thing is the wood needs to be seasoned. Under 25%. I like mine at 15%. It took me some time to get my process figured but I am happy where I am at now. I have zero dollars in fuel oil purchased the last 4 years and I keep my house 6 degrees warmer.

Wood is work. There needs to be an end game for most people. I'm pretty close to the break even point, probably one season away.

I don’t know that I have an endless supply, but I have a lot of wood currently. I’m just not sure how long I’ll have surplus. I do season my wood even though I have an older conventional wood boiler. Everything is split and stacked for at least a year before it gets burned. I’m not sure what moisture content that leaves it at, but I definitely have a better fire and burn less if it’s seasoned. For me, a new furnace is only costing me money. I haven’t spent any money on heat since I’ve owned my house.

I don’t know that I have an endless supply, but I have a lot of wood currently. I’m just not sure how long I’ll have surplus. I do season my wood even though I have an older conventional wood boiler. Everything is split and stacked for at least a year before it gets burned. I’m not sure what moisture content that leaves it at, but I definitely have a better fire and burn less if it’s seasoned. For me, a new furnace is only costing me money. I haven’t spent any money on heat since I’ve owned my house.

I think in your case you would have to weigh many things. Because you already season I am guessing you would probably burn 20-25% less. Don't know how much that is relative to what you do now. I think there is still some question on the longevity of gasification boilers. You hear of people getting 20 years or more from standard. I don't know if a gasser is going to last as long because they burn differently. In my initial planning I figured 10 year longevity as I wanted to be able to justify the purchase even if it ended up being on the short end. I probably won't make that as I think I will upgrade before.

I also didn't buy the best. I think I bought a good one that becomes great because I have an outstanding dealer 19 miles from my house. This venture was new to me and I wanted someone I could lean on if I screwed up or needed help. So far it has been trouble free besides the learning curve and some small parts.

About whats missing there in the wood shed.IMG_0838[1].JPGMeasuring it out, looks like 2.75 cords. 4 cords is about average, 1/2 of the wood shed. I'm burning right to left this year, will burn left to right next year. Hasn't been very cold this year. I burn in a 38 year old Englander. A old smoke dragon.

Latest posts

Back