How Much is Too Much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N9038H

Reaction score
I'm not exactly certain what kind of tree I'm talking about, but I think it might be a Live Oak. It is a wonderful shade tree, with main branches coming off the trunk with diameters of about 10". Three of the main branches go straight up and gently extend out to provide a perfectly symmetrical canopy, while there are two branches (about 6-8" diameter) that extend more directly out from the tree, in directions that I would prefer it didn't. I'd like to remove these two branches, but my wife is concerned it would compromise the tree. I'm just wondering, when it comes to shaping a tree, for preference, how much is too much, when it comes to trimming? Thank you kindly for any thoughts!

My experience is if it is a genuine Oak it can not be harmed. I have trimmed cut butchered and they keep going. I have one tree near my back porch that I have cut more than three times well below dirt line and now it is ten feet tall. I have been working on at a small ranch for the past few years and the owner finally said to cut the trees that have mistletoe. The ones that had mistletoe have sent out new shoots. So double check with what you are working on and then trim away. A 100 foot rope saw has been very valuable for removing hazard limbs. Thanks

Thanks guys! Here’s a picture. I would like to remove the forward hanging branches from the left and right trunk.

Attachments

• 350F8B08-41D3-4826-AEA2-ADE1DDAD1C5F.jpeg
    350F8B08-41D3-4826-AEA2-ADE1DDAD1C5F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Rule of thumb is no more than 1/3 of the canopy. Then you need to consider species (some will tolerate more than others), age of tree (older trees less than younger trees). I also don't like to open large wounds on the lower part of the tree since it takes so long for them to close over. This ultimately leads to a pocket of decay, low on the tree, and a lot of weight (stress) on that weak spot.

General rule is to start with one limb, pruning off anything growing downward. Start by removing one piece at a time, then step back and look at the tree.
Work slowly, you can always cut a limb off, Once it's removed, it can't be put back. You can also train limbs with cables or rope by tying it up or pulling in the direction you want it to grow. You have to do it in steps, only applying light pressure and not trying to force the limb to much.

Back