Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sturgismiguy

Reaction score
How much weight do you think this green wood is? Not sure of the species so dont give me crap for it. I have a outdoor boiler and all my wood is free free free. Plus is it close to a cord for you math guys?

Attachments

• 20200412_163521.jpg
    20200412_163521.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20200412_163530.jpg
    20200412_163530.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
How much weight do you think this green wood is? Not sure of the species so dont give me crap for it. I have a outdoor boiler and all my wood is free free free. Plus is it close to a cord for you math guys?

I'd guess maybe 1/3 cord. A cord is 128 cubic feet. Beds what, about 6'. Roughly 4' wide when you account for wheelwells. average 2' deep. 48 cubic foot or a little more.

Yeah. , I can get a little over a seasoned hardwood cord in my Dodge 2500 if I carefully pile the wood in rows within the 8' box . 6' piled randomly 1/3 rd of a cord @ best , free is nice :dancing:.

My very dry Live Oak loads weighs more than 5,000 LBS per cord , but maybe areas differ. On all my trucks I have side boards. My ranger can haul 2,500 lbs my F250's around 8,000 LBS and F 600 up to 40,000 including trailer net. A 6' full size bed with out side boards if carefully stacked can do maybe One cord. Thanks

My newer 2003 F 250 Super Duty says 8,800 LBS Maximum with my 84 says 9,200 LBS. With that said I thought I was doing good by not trying to go for 10,000 LBS which is what I usually do. Thanks

That's gross vehicle weight (payload plus what the truck weighs), not the what you can haul (payload capacity) right?

That's gross vehicle weight (payload plus what the truck weighs), not the what you can haul (payload capacity) right?

I would say you are correct in that I can not put 9,200 LBS in the back of my Heavy Duty Ford F 250, but I would try. Realistically I aim for around no more than 6,000 LBS in the back and some times pulling a 1/2 cord trailer. Trailer capacity is a whole other matter and I have little highway to ever deal with. Thanks

I would say you are correct in that I can not put 9,200 LBS in the back of my Heavy Duty Ford F 250, but I would try. Realistically I aim for around no more than 6,000 LBS in the back and some times pulling a 1/2 cord trailer. Trailer capacity is a whole other matter and I have little highway to ever deal with. Thanks
You can't fit 6,000 lbs of firewood in a regular pickup truck bed, nor would it be sane to do so if you could. That's far, far beyond what any 3/4 ton truck, of any make, year or model, is designed to carry.

I have put ONE cord of wood in my Ranger Pickup several times which as you know has a six foot bed. One cord will measure about 80 to 100 CF unsplit wood stacked at least 3 to 4' high will produce a split cord. Not a big stretch. I have side boards on every thing I own but have hauled with other pickups also. Pile it as high as possible and strap it down. Thanks

You can't fit 6,000 lbs of firewood in a regular pickup truck bed, nor would it be sane to do so if you could. That's far, far beyond what any 3/4 ton truck, of any make, year or model, is designed to carry.

Some of the new one tons sitting on the lot these days have payload capacities over 6k#. I think with fresh cut white oak, locust, sugar maple, etc, it'd technically be possible to put that much weight into a regular 8' bed. With sideboards, of course.

But, you're absolutely right, don't do it in a 3/4 ton.

Back