How often sparkplug change?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At the end of every cutting season when mud season hits my saws are done cutting I completely clean the saw, clean the air filter, lube the clutch, clean the bar groove, dress the bar rails, grease the bar nose, sharpen or replace the chain, change the sparkplug, top off the gas tank. Fire her up do one test cut and she goes away for her nap. If I get no break between cutting I stop and do this maintenance anyway.

If the carb is adjusted correctly the sparkplug won’t foul. But once a year I change it anyway.

Why change it, if running nice. You may be replacing it with a new bad plug.
My BIL replaced the plug on his 026 he just picked up and the thing would not run worth a crap. He had not run it with old plug so never knew what it was like befor. He pissed with it for quite a quite a while befor putting old plug back in and then it ran mint.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I don't change plugs ever.
I have changed a few bad ones. Auto-tunes seem to like good plugs. Tree service had a 372xt he could not get to start. Pulled plug set gap, checked for spark, reinstalled, would not fire. Good compression, getting fuel, pulled plug again, held up and electrode was loose, sliding in insulator.

I figure pay now or pay later Murphy’s law can bite us at anytime. The sparkplug is the weakest link.

You carry extra new spark plugs right? I save my old plugs and clean them. They have plastic sealed tubes to keep clean plugs in. Your local dirtbike shop sells them. Or pvc with two end caps works, one glued one loose.

I've got one 06 model saw and another that's near the same age, never had the plugs replaced. The other old saws, who knows cause I haven't replaced them cause they run. I replaced one plug on a blower once but it was 20 years old and would stop sparking under pressure and it was a Champion.

Steve Sidwell

I dint change a plug until it’s needed. I carry a mall organizer kinda case with 2 extra plugs, 2 extra starter ropes, extra screws and bolts, extra bar nuts, small screwdriver, and my tach(because my hearing isn’t the best anymore especially with the higher revving saws)

We were playing with the Allen diagnostic scope at the dealer. We took used plugs and cleaned them, filed the electrode flat again. The machine didn’t know the difference between used or new. this was back in the 70’s.

I figure pay now or pay later Murphy’s law can bite us at anytime. The sparkplug is the weakest link.

You carry extra new spark plugs right? I save my old plugs and clean them. They have plastic sealed tubes to keep clean plugs in. Your local dirtbike shop sells them. Or pvc with two end caps works, one glued one loose.
No i dont carry new plugs. I carry multiple saws.

If i had a suspect plug i would pull a good one from another saw to test so im not playing parts darts.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Back