How often sparkplug change?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I put mine in storage I’ll hit the plug with a fine wire brush. If there is any kind of pitting or even the start of a U shape I’ll change it. After 3 or so tanks in my cutting season I’ll check it again for buildup and pitting just to make sure my tuning is still spot on and that’s it until I’m done again. The only thing I’d replace “just because” is probably the air filter.

I change mine annually. Just a word of warning for those that leave them till they fail, I have had two husky 550xp's in for repair where the hooked side electrode on the spark plug had come detached and totalled the piston. Both saws were around two to three years old with the original plugs from new!

I change mine annually. Just a word of warning for those that leave them till they fail, I have had two husky 550xp's in for repair where the hooked side electrode on the spark plug had come detached and totalled the piston. Both saws were around two to three years old with the original plugs from new!

What brand of plugs had the electrode become detached?

I don't recall the plugs as I didn't keep them but I seem to recall they had the green banding of the bosch plug (but my memory is not that great! ) they were definitely either bosch or ngk that I am sure of, as I was surprised that a quality plug would fail like this! Don't get me wrong these saws were used hard for a good couple of years with barely any maintenance other than a blow out with a compressor now and then.

Just leave those plugs in them, after a few years they may just pull the threads out of the jug. I do a lot of tune ups for people on a yearly basis , they want new plugs, air filter, fuel filter and fuel line along with sharpening the chain or replace and dress the bar. I never need to buy any plugs lol. It is a good idea to take the plug out ever year even if you put the same plug back in it.

Just leave those plugs in them, after a few years they may just pull the threads out of the jug.

Although I've never changed a plug, I do pull them and check them if I ever have trouble starting. Before I put them back in, I put some NeverSeez on the threads ... I've started doing that to plugs on new saws as soon as I get them, too.

Learned that from boating. Saltwater + aluminum + steel = %#$*@!! :dumb2:

Although I've never changed a plug, I do pull them and check them if I ever have trouble starting. Before I put them back in, I put some NeverSeez on the threads ... I've started doing that to plugs on new saws as soon as I get them, too.
That is good stuff. Anti sieze is the brand I have. Been using it on lug nuts for years, they never get Rusty and stuck any more. If I take bolts out of anything that I think I may take out again in my lifetime, they get anti sieze on them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Since it keeps air (and moisture/dew) out of the threads, Loctite will also prevent galvanic corrosion. Not recommended for plugs, though!

I change plugs once in a while and I keep the old ones if they are still good. The plug is a simple starting point for diagnosing starting problems. I've had plugs that would give weak spark so I switch the plug with another good old one and away I go. Never put one of those E 3 plugs in your saw. Every one of those ive came across in a 2 stroke had spark issues.

I change plugs once in a while and I keep the old ones if they are still good. The plug is a simple starting point for diagnosing starting problems. I've had plugs that would give weak spark so I switch the plug with another good old one and away I go. Never put one of those E 3 plugs in your saw. Every one of those ive came across in a 2 stroke had spark issues.

Not just 2 strokes.....bought a used truck for cheap cause owner claimed the truck kept throwing random codes.
Pulled the E3's and replaced with reputable plug, been running great ever since.

I have changed a few bad ones. Auto-tunes seem to like good plugs. Tree service had a 372xt he could not get to start. Pulled plug set gap, checked for spark, reinstalled, would not fire. Good compression, getting fuel, pulled plug again, held up and electrode was loose, sliding in insulator.
You mean like this?

Back